I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but I want to make sure.

I've got a small budget of around $100 (Certainly no more than $150) and I'm looking for a decent acoustic guitar. The Jasmine by Takamine S34C NEX Cutaway looks like a decent buy, and it's also a cutaway, which is a huge plus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jasmine-by-Takamine-S34C-NEX-Cutaway-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516458

Any warnings before I order this thing?
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Remember: Cutaways partially take away the volume of the acoustic guitar
I know exactly what I think I'm doing.
Is this guitar cheap ****? Or is it cheap **** and that's all I can hope for at this price range?
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Quote by SLD.Potato
Is this guitar cheap ****? Or is it cheap **** and that's all I can hope for at this price range?

Try to see if you can find a used Yamaha FG700S for $150. That's the best advice I have for you.
I'd go to a local shop. Not Guitar Center, a local joint. They usually have a selection of guitars at about $100-$150. I wouldn't trust the Jasmine without playing it.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Take a look at the reviews of people who own them at MF. They indicate 4.5 rating or so. So probably a fine guitar. This is a jumbo guitar so don't worry about the cutaway robbing the bass as there is plenty of surface area to compensate for the small loss of the cutaway.

You will want to use phosphor bronze (PB) strings on it. I would recommend Martin Marquis PB strings or Martin SP PB strings.

When you get it, if you order it from Musicians Friend, take it too your local guitar store and have them set it up for you. Cost is about $45 and tell them you like low action (meaning the strings are closer to the frets) without fret buzz. If you are beginner put on extra light strings as they are easier to push down. You can always move to lights or mediums after you are used to playing.
Last edited by Guitar Hack at Mar 29, 2008,