zeppelinpage4
1-800-GOLDEN-GOD
2,921 IQ
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=199367243

I had never heard of him before today but he's got some great stuff. According to the program I heard about him he was the father of the guitar solo but never got much recognition.

Also I did do a search and nothing came up so this seemed to be the best place to talk about him. Anyone else know much about him?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Yes, he was pretty much a virtuoso in his time. He was an influence on everyone from Robert Johnson to BB King, aswell as Django Reinhardt, apparently. He played Guitar, Banjo and Violin.
I believe he was born in New Orleans. In 1925, having spent many years in Europe during WWI, he won a talent contest and got a recording contrac with Okeh Records, and subsequently moved to Chicago.
I think he recorded a hell of a lot, though I could be wrong, I think Okeh put out a record with Lonnie Johnson on it every two weeks or so (under his own name and as an accompanist).
Yeah I was right about his recording, he cut over 200 sides between 1925 and 1932.
Then he kinda dispapeard for a while, and signed for Bluebird Records, who put out a loada a RnB records.
He was rediscovered in the blues revival when he was working as a Janitor in Philadelphia. Then after that his work went Jazzy and I got bored of him to be honest. I think he was in a car crash, and then died soon after it from injuries.