i see these guitars everythwere.... why do so many different companies make them? and who makes the original? and is les paul a guy or something?
Quote by Big_Carp
i see these guitars everythwere.... why do so many different companies make them? and who makes the original? and is les paul a guy or something?

daz funny
Quote by RPGoof
Les Paul is indeed a guy. Gibson makes the originals, Epiphone is a company by Gibson that also makes Les Pauls. All the others are copies.

Didn't Epiphone make the original then they were bought by Gibson?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

No, Epiphone started out actually making Semi-Hollow, and Acoustic Guitars until they were bought out by Gibson. Right after Gibson gave them the rights to make Les PAuls and such.

I'm pretty sure this is right. right?
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
Quote by BladeSlinger

Not that I'm aware of.

If I'm not mistaken Gibson worked directly with Les Paul to create the guitar after finding out that Les built the first ever solidbody guitar.

Here's his Wiki for more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by BaconFrenzy117
No, Epiphone started out actually making Semi-Hollow, and Acoustic Guitars until they were bought out by Gibson. Right after Gibson gave them the rights to make Les PAuls and such.

I'm pretty sure this is right. right?

yes it's right
you ARE joking... right?
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
you ARE joking... right?

He's serial....

Thank you for clearing that up people above me.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
history bit les paul had no hand in the making of the guitar except for one part when they showed him the finished version when it was done, they then changed it in following years, and when they made the sg he wanted his name taken off of it because the sg was the orginal les paul double cutaway.
anyways i there are so many les pauls because there a about 2 or 3 hundred different color schemes for it and guitar store usually like portraying th instrument because its been a major keypiece in hard rock and classic rock in every decade
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
you ARE joking... right?

i sincerely hope so. Otherwise...we are all doomed...

/climax passage
stupid thread alert
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
I think Im gonna sig the TS
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Les Paul is the son of Ron Paul.
He nails fishing line into two by fours and sells them as quality guitars using propaganda and shiny pictures.
Do not be fooled, TS, do not be fooled.
Quit my job blowin leaves
Telephone bills up my sleeves

And they were singin like this!

That's Les Paul. He's a cool guy. Still plays at the Iridium Jazz Club in New York weekly, if you want to go see him.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Les Paul was a pretty famous guitarist in about the late 50's-60's, and Gibson wanted to name the guitar after him, but he wasn't too crazy about the guitar in the first place. The only thing he contributed was the reconstructed tailpiece. When Gibson bought out Epiphone, Epiphone was their biggest competitor, but their best product was an upright bass. The original plan was to keep selling the basses, but they later decided to produce cheaper versions of their own guitars, at a lower quality, but for cheaper manufacturing costs. Epiphone currently makes les pauls, but they aren't the originals. If you see any other brands making les pauls that aren't gibsons or epiphones or other gibson owned companies, they are bad quality guitars, and a future lawsuit. I'm sorry, I took music history
Quote by jaxin7
Les Paul was a pretty famous guitarist in about the late 50's-60's, and Gibson wanted to name the guitar after him, but he wasn't too crazy about the guitar in the first place. The only thing he contributed was the reconstructed tailpiece. When Gibson bought out Epiphone, Epiphone was their biggest competitor, but their best product was an upright bass. The original plan was to keep selling the basses, but they later decided to produce cheaper versions of their own guitars, at a lower quality, but for cheaper manufacturing costs. Epiphone currently makes les pauls, but they aren't the originals. If you see any other brands making les pauls that aren't gibsons or epiphones or other gibson owned companies, they are bad quality guitars, and a future lawsuit. I'm sorry, I took music history

Yes to the lawsuits, not necessarily yes to the bad quality. Remember those Lawsuit guitars from the 70s and 80s, were so good they got sued over them?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Rhyan_EG
I think Im gonna sig the TS

haha. i cant not believe that you sigged that. lmfao...
I was once convinced that ESP was owned by Gibson because almost all of their guitars are shaped like gibson guitars, then it turned out they were some other brand with no original shapes and copied other guitar shapes, made them more pointy and the edges sharper, and thus sold it to the metal community.

I find it funny when people tell me that an ESP EC1000 looks nothing like a Les Paul and an ESP Viper doesn't look like a lopsided SG
Last edited by chinkboy7 at Mar 29, 2008,
*head explodes*

Les Paul is the guy the guitar is named after, and his most important contribution to this world was multitrack recording.

/Thread
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
If I'm not mistaken Gibson worked directly with Les Paul to create the guitar after finding out that Les built the first ever solidbody guitar.

telecasters were the 1st solidbodies fool
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
telecasters were the 1st solidbodies fool

The first mass-produced solidbodies, yes. Les made himself a solidbody guitar in the 1940s, called The Log. Gibson supposedly used it as a basis for the Les Paul.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Yes, Les Paul made the first Les Paul, took it to Gibson, they laughed in his face and said "this will never sell".

Fender developed the Esquire and Broadcaster, Gibson shat in their pants and called Les up "Hey, man... You know that electrumuthingy you made? We want it. Also we want to suck your log."
Quote by Big_Carp

Signature Time!
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby