Okay, I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. I play typically more metal-core stuff ala Lamb of God, All That Remains, etc. and then some prog metal ala Tool and Dream Theater. Now, would it be more logical to keep the MT-2 or trade it in and look into a Metal Muff or just a high gain amp (i use a Line 6 Spider 3 *flame-shield*) like a mesa or an egnater?
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
well a high gain tube amp would obviously be the best choice, if you can afford it.
i have pretty much the same set up as you and i hate it, i wish i would have researched what i was buying when i started playing

im looking at getting an b-52 at 112 and if it doesnt have quite enough distortion ill just get an overdrive pedal
I'm very iffy about the at112... I'm looking into more than likely a Peavey valveking or a mesa combo. They both keep up pretty well with my high gain needs from what I've played... but I'm still up in the air with these things...
Send this to you my master...
Here's to getting worse,
hope it kills you faster...
Show me how it hurts to rot from the inside out...
This vigil burns until the day our fires over take you,
Our father we forsake you.
im gonna go with metal muff
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
could anyone point me in the right direction to find how to mod an mt-2, i have no experience whatsoever
Quote by AUSTINZOR
im gonna go with metal muff

Muff=win every time
Quote by acdcrocks0323
It might be a good idea to mod the MT2. They are actually pretty nice after being modded.

Yeah, they actually turn out much nicer modded....

And to the above poster(xMikeyxMetalx) who is considering having the Keeley mod done to it, try looking at MonteAllums.com

His mods are damn good, cost about $20 and you get to perform the mod yourself...

I've used several of his mods and I've been nothing but impressed with the results...

One of them being the MT-2. Completely tightened the gain structure, removed the "nasally" aspect to the mids and created more overall definition.....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Mar 29, 2008,
i would go for the high gain amp if you are in a band, but if you just play for yourself, you should beable to get some good tones with the MT-2 straight through your clean channel. i have a V3, and it has plenty of gain, but my mt-2/fender 2x12 rig is still my main practice setup, ive managed to find a pretty good tone from it though.

Definitely twist your knobs untill your are sure your are unsatisfied though. There are tons of tones hidden in that little MT-2(and they are only multiplied when you get a keeley mod).
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
Either way, I'd say keep the pedal... you can never have too many to either mod later, or find a use for....

And actually the components would cost more than $5, one of the Burr-Brown OpAmp chips that I installed in it was around that....

But yeah, you could always buy the components yourself... If you should decide to do so, Monte Allums will just sell the instructions for the mod at a much cheaper price...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Mar 29, 2008,
Metal Muff

/thread
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Quote by imgooley
Muff=win every time

UG needs to wake up and realize the Metal Muff isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be. It's the only 'metal' pedal that a lot of people don't look down upon or bash, so people hype it up to be something it's not.
I quite like the metal muff....

At the end of the day it's just one of a long line of distortion pedals available, but what I think makes this one better than the rest it has a very effective 3 band EQ....

I think the pedal would get bashed less of it didn't have 'metal' in its name.....