Whenever you are writing bass parts for songs, do you normally just have two people (one guitar and one bass) try and play and figure out the best sounding bass line that fits with guitar? or is it easier to use theory or something like that to figure it out.
the eaisest way is just to take the root note of whatever you're playing. doesn't sound very original though.
guitar and bass, using theory as common knowledge...same root notes, work out a rhythm and sound withing the scale
just stay in key and you should be fine
5 out of 5 kids who murder people listen to Slayer.
me (im the rhythm guitarist in my band) and the lead guitarist usually will write a riff, then i write a prelim bass line since our bassist is dumb and doesn't show up. anyways, what me and lead do is we find major bassy parts in the riff that we wrote and all we do is on bass we bassy the parts up that aren't bassy, send our riff and the bass line that i record (i play bass too) to our bassist and he just smoothens everything up. hope that helped, in which, i don't think it did.
If you have a rhythm guitarist, then the typical bassist thing to do is to match what the rhythm guitarist is playing. If its just you and one guitarist, then take the root of the chord that he's playing, and then kind of improvise from that root note's scale to start.

But really, the best way to find a good bass line that isnt straight 8th notes is just to experiment. Play it multiple times and get multiple runs so that you can be more creative.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
If I'm playing a chord progression of E5 A5 D5, then bass would just play E A and D notes to match. It also sounds boring as hell. But works!
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
roots + improization and scales off of those roots
that's what my bass player says he does
and he's the ****
I ****ing love my bass player!
who's with me?
I want Super Saiyan abilities
no one pays attention to bass anyways...

uhh really just match the root notes of what guitar is playing. maybe once in a while making up your own line. Or taking something up an octave
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Rhythm Guitar and Bass have to be in key.
(same root note, etc)

Lead can do whatever the **** it wants.
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
ultimate-gio92, you're a guitarist arent you? listen to the previous people. start with the root note and use basic theory or just experiment with notes to fill in. also work with your drummer...not just guitarists
Quote by jvdude3
ultimate-gio92, you're a guitarist arent you? listen to the previous people. start with the root note and use basic theory or just experiment with notes to fill in. also work with your drummer...not just guitarists

Dont worry, im joking!

I know that bass is an incredibly hard instrument, and if i ever have a few years of guitar boredom. Thats the top instrument on my list to try to begin to learn
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Using the root notes is incredibly boring. Unless your popping and slapping the octaves of that note, then it gets kinda fun when switching up some of the rhythms. A good way to write creative basslines is to use a counter-melody or a response melody. I forget what the proper term is for it.
Quote by JPCwhutwhut
I forget what the proper term is for it.

is it counter melody?
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
is it counter melody?

I'm pretty sure it is, but I think most people know what I'm talking about if thats not the "proper" term.
Quote by JPCwhutwhut
I'm pretty sure it is, but I think most people know what I'm talking about if thats not the "proper" term.

To be honest I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I just copied a term you used in a previous post to make myself seem more intelligent and to increase the size of my e-penis.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
A contrapuntal melody perhaps?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
if your gonna make a simple one, i like to play root notes and when there is a chord change i do some leading notes from the pentatonic scale. always works for me.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by JPCwhutwhut

Descant?

Anyways, best bet is to take the chords, kick the guitarist out of the room, and move with the drums, rests are good, just becaus you're not playing doesn't mean you're not making awesome music.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Listen to whats going on with the whole band and find out what works best with the song. If that means riding the root note or outlining the chord with every kick of the bassdrum, so be it.
Overplaying can stick out like a sore thumb. As long as it's on time and in tune, it's good and not boring.
What to do if writing the bass part is the last (read;not first) thing you do.

1) Play within the chord changes provided by the guitar/keys.
2) Listen to vocals/other melody instrument
3) Listen to the drums/ rhythm guitarist
4) Play arpeggios, melody, counter melody, roots, chord changes, walk, or whatever that all
fits within the melody and rhythm provided.

Of course you could deviate and do something crazy but thats up to you.

Keep in mind which beats are accented by other instruments and hit those. Bass can be awsome for filler sound; it provides the foundation in most music. Roots are important but playing only roots is usually a bad call. (not to say it can't be done or come out awsome).

Also, Silence can be just as important as playing. A solid wave of notes will cause the frequency of the bass to be tuned out. Adding space causes a listener to focus in more.

One last thing - Don't let the guitarist come up witheverything. Take imput from everyone. Listen. Don't be afraid to put your own stuff out. An awsome bass riff based song can rule the world. Don't confine yourself to writing out parts for just yourself or just on bass either.
Ok that was 6 things but yeah.

-Ryan