So I'm listening to my iPod and "The Lady Wore Black" by Queensrÿche and I started wondering, "What the hell is this about?" The lyrics on OP:MC aren't that dense once you get the story, but this song is bugging me.

I see it as something along the lines of a miserable/heartbroken man meets a woman who has been granted eternal life, under the condition that it remains miserable. They fall in love (or the woman tricks him into love) and he takes her curse and allows her to die. Am I at all close?

Also, is this based on some kind of mythology or something? My idea sounds plausible, but a bit complex of an idea for a song without being basedon anything.

Here are the lyrics according to the first link on Google:

On a lonely walk this morning
A light mist in the air
Dark clouds laughing at me in silence
Casting shadows through my hair

In the distance I saw a woman
Dressed in black with eyes of grey
She wore her pain like a shackled spirit
Eternal life was her debt to pay

The lady wore black
It's the sign of the prisoners lives
The lady wore black
See the years through the tears in her eyes
The lady wore black
Her mystic power calls to me
The lady wore black
Her love can set me free

The wind song whispered a warning
Telling me to beware
Of the quiet shadowed woman
And of the sadness I would share

We sat together for sometime together in silence
Never speaking in words
Of all her thoughts she spoke with her eyes
And I listened remembering all I heard

The lady wore black
The lady wore black
The lady wore black
The lady wore black
Her love can set me free

The words she spoke were of forgotten lives
And of all knowledge gained
Mem'ries I had and didn't know why
With a smile she explained
I should have listened to the wind's cold warning
And walked the other way
I touched her soul and now I bear her sentence
But for her love I'll gladly pay

The lady wore black
The lady wore black
The lady wore black
The lady wore black
Her love can set me free
Quote by metal7690
Sounds like the Siren's of Greek Mythology to me.
Those are the singers who lure you to crash into rocks, right? I fail to see the connection, but it's late and I'm not very poetic anyway.
Well yea, the original portrayal of Siren's is mysterious yet beautiful women who lure sailors into the ocean by singing to them, promising them anything they could ever want, tempting them. The sailors, mesmorized, go into the ocean, and the Siren's eventually drown them. Or crash their boat. You get the idea.

But if you take the general concept of Siren's and just use the theme of it the connection is pretty easy.

Beautiful, mysterious woman dressed in black. Tempts this guy, "her mystic power calls to him," etc..etc... He goes against the "warning of the wind" which could be assumed as his gut instinct. Follows her to his eventual or implied doom. " "I touched her soul and now I bear her sentence."

I could go a lot more in depth than this but I really don't feel like it haha. I'm not saying the entire story is based around Siren's, but the theme and idea of a woman who embodies sin and tempation luring a man to doom is definitely evident.
I suppose they could have been going for that kind of theme, tricked by a sexy woman, but in terms of what I meant by mythology, I meant a specific story ( something like Symphony X's "The Odyssey") or section of the Bible or something. Thanks anyway.
I know this doesn't answer your question or anything, but that song is really amazing. Geoff's vocals are incredible.
Well, Symphony X's "The Odyssey" is based around the epic poem of the same name by Homer, which creates one of the most famous and well known depictions of the Siren's . There's a section in the song entitled The Sirens. Read the lyrics if you're interested.