Hey everyone today I bought some Gibson speed dials tone knobs to replace the original tone knobs that came with my epiphone les paul.

I looked around the internet and found out that the tone knobs will just pop out if enough pulling pressure is applied. So I successfully pulled out one of the knobs. Now here comes the problem. I took one of the new Gibson knobs, and tried to push it in. I pushed gently at first, afraid that I might scratch my guitar, but when it didn't budge I pushed very hard and now it's just stuck, I can't pull it out.

Am I not pushing hard enough? Should I just go for it? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance and please reply quickly because I'm really afraid of damaging my guitar
Last edited by alexsoul at Mar 29, 2008,
okay crap, i went for it. Yeah, I know, dumb. But I practically put half mmy body weight on the thing (yea yea, stupid I know) and yet it STILL wont pop in!!!! I need some serious help, getting a little scared here.
Gibson knobs have coarse splines; epiphone knobs have fine splines. You've got a "round peg, square hole" issue.
wow lol that really makes me lookk stupid eh... so what do you suggest I do now that I can't even pull it back out?
See if you can lever it off with a screwdriver. Depending on how far it's on you can usually get one under it, then twist it so the screwdriver just pushes up between the bolt and the knob.
Other than that, get a lighter and melt the bottom a little so you can pull it off. Don't go too nuts with that trick, overheating the pots for too long might kill them.
Might want to have a pot handy before you start pulling to hard. As the shaft in epi pots will snap pretty easy if you pull to hard.
yea I'm afraid of using a screwdriver because I might scratch my guitar...also another newb question, what's a pot?? -_-
Quote by alexsoul
yea I'm afraid of using a screwdriver because I might scratch my guitar...also another newb question, what's a pot?? -_-

A potentiometer is that whole contraption that you are putting the knob on .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.