Hi everyone. So here's the story and hopefully I will keep it short lol. So I have always loved music, not just guitar but music in general. It's very special to me as it is to so many others. I started playing electric guitar when I was about 14. Was completely self taught, learned how to play things like Nirvana, Green Day, GodSmack, Deftones, some Metallica ect. Goofed around in a band about 4 years after that but never really played any shows.

After I was 19 I basically quit playing. Didnt know any other fellow musicians and got tired of playing for just myself. Now I am 26 and have picked the ax back up.
Anyway point is, I want to play again. And I want to be as good as I wanted to be when I was younger. Not only playing the favorite songs from bands I love but be able to write my own music.

As far as my skill its quite odd. I dont know much about guitars, what pickups are good, how to do maintanence upgrades ect. I dont know a single cord name. I cant read sheet music. Basically I learned from tablature. I can play Godsmack, Nirvana, GreenDay, Deftones, System Of A Down easily. I also can play Metallica but always leave out the solos. Thats far beyond my skills. I am fast with chords, and palm muting but the quick single notes solo type stuff has always been too much for me. Chords are far easier than "noodling" for me. I also have very little knowledge when it comes to accoustic playing also.

I just want to know how to start and where to go with my level of playing. I can play but am a total complete noob to everything music wise. So I am kind of stuck in this intermediate zone and I dont know what to do. Get a teacher and start from scratch? Just practice to get back to speed then self teach myself? Give up?

If you are still reading this I am so sorry, it wasnt meant to be this long. I just have a lot of passion for playing guitar but I dont know how to get past the level I have been stuck at for so long. Sometimes I have ideas for a song but I dont know where to put my fingers to make the right sound come out. If anyone has some helpful suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, thanks for reading this if your still awake lol.
its not called long read, its called "the wall"

tabs are awesome, keep using those. Also, learn your basic chords (C, G, A, Am, F, E, Em, etc)
As your skills progress, learn more complex chords
progressive learn more challenging songs to increase your skills
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
the shred masterclass vids by kristopher dahl on this site will help u to solo in no time i think he even did a kirk hammet specific series so you can be playing the solo from master of puppets before you realise........
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
Quote by DOA24
After I was 19 I basically quit playing. Didnt know any other fellow musicians and got tired of playing for just myself. Now I am 26 and have picked the ax back up.

Anyway point is, I want to play again. And I want to be as good as I wanted to be when I was younger.

So I am kind of stuck in this intermediate zone and I dont know what to do. Get a teacher and start from scratch? Just practice to get back to speed then self teach myself? Give up?

If you just picked it back up, your not at intermediate bud. Right now your hands and brain have to get back in the "zone" of playing. It won't take you long to get back to where you were, well as long as it would if you picked it up and didn't even know how to play an note that is. But regardless, to get over the step of trying some solos and stuff, just play it slower. If it has to be 1//4 of the speed or 1/2 just try it from there and keep practicing faster.
wow. that sounds exactly what i am. i hate solos and stuff like that so i do rhythm.
but anyways your problem is obviously that you aren't progresssing. I started playing guitar about 3 years ago and i've been completely self taught. i don't know a single chord name, but i can play rhythms to crazy songs like "The Divine Suicide Of K." by Protest The Hero and "Vela, Together We Await the storm" by Human Abstract. The only difference between me and you, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) is that I have a full band- and friends who play guitar who are constructively critsizing my work and its just the way they are there for me that I continue to make my work better and better.
SO...all in all, grab our axe, a few friends and turn up the volume. And remember, its never too loud.
check out the lessons on this website they helped me to no end and still do (god bless the crusade series). also consider getting a teacher it is much easier to learn if you can ask questions face to face with a person, honestly reading is so impersonal (although still good in its own right).
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

get a teacher, when i got one i cwas at a similar stiuation, i knew 15 open chords, but i coudnt change between them or do any single note stuff, a teacher will direct you better, n they wont start u from scratch theyll stat you from where u are, probabvly by teaching u the names of those chords.
This might be obvious, but use metronome when practicing. It really helps to get up to speed and not be all over the place with the rhythm.
Ibanez JTK2 -> Dunlop CryBaby (DIY Hendrix mod) -> DIY FireFly amp -> 1x10 Celestion cab

Quote by DOA24

I just want to know how to start and where to go with my level of playing. I can play but am a total complete noob to everything music wise. So I am kind of stuck in this intermediate zone and I dont know what to do. Get a teacher and start from scratch? Just practice to get back to speed then self teach myself? Give up?

A teacher would be good, but for a teacher to be effective you have to have time to practice. If you can put aside an hour a day for practice, a teacher would be bennificial. Otherwise if you are short on time, it's better for you to follow along some lessions in a book. If you really want to do what you say you do, I think the next step for you is to learn some theory, but being as you don't know how to read music, I would recommend that you start some lessons in the Hal Leonard basic books and then by a book on theory. While working through that series, keep on learning new songs to keep things interesting for you.
Thanks for the replies everyone I've been practicing alot and now that my claw hand is finally going away I am starting to get back int he guitar playing mode. I am going to keep practicing songs and looking online here to learn more about the guitar in general.

I think after my wedding in August once everything settles down I am going to get a teacher. Learn the basics chords, reading sheet music ect, the stuff I missed out on. After that I'll dive into the more thorough stuff on this website here.

Question on the Metronome. Normally when I practice I have a list of songs I know how to play seperated by tunings on my Itunes. Then I just play along to that. Would a Metronome be better than this? Also I have a chord that I have run in the past from my amp to my sound card so I can play through my computer speakers. Is there a way to play a song from a cd or whatever and record me playing to it? So that I can listen to the song back but with me playing along with it? I just thought it would be kinda cool and I can hear how I sound when I am not playing along. Hopefully without some software I must buy.

Anyway thanks to everyone that responded your advice has been greatly helpful
Hey! I can totally relate. I'm the same age as you and picked up the guitar at exactly the same time. Well I was 15 but that's close enough! ahhh...remember those days? the 90's. You know sometimes you can just use windows sound recorder. as sh*tty as it is. And never forget about a good old tape deck!

Other then muscle-memory building drills, a backing track is just as good as a metronome. And man...it's time to start learning chord names!!

Just cause I relate to ya, feel free to PM with any questions. I love helpin' out.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination