Ok guys, up until now I've been using a SSS configured Strat. Now I'm looking to get a guitar with some more power for my heavier music. Basically I'm looking for a guitar, preferably through Guitar Center, considering I'll be getting a nice discount and there is one relatively close.

Needs:
- Either an H H or HSH configuration is required
- Does well with metal/rock
- Try and keep it under 500 dollars US

I DO NOT need a trem!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am also looking for a good OD pedal.
Well what sort of shape, colour etc do you like? The possibilites are endless really you could get anything from this to this.

Edit: Oh and a good, cheap overdrive pedal is the Digitech Bad Monkey
Shapes and colors don't really matter to me, I'm just looking for the best tone I can get for the money. The Les Paul might be nice, but you see everyone with one lol. But if it ends up sounding the best, then that is what I'll get.
I doubt that the Epi will sound the best. Try Hagstrom Swede or Super Swede, they look much better than a LP and play really well. They sound good of what I've heard too, I have not tried it with an amp because there was no one available when I tried it but they who have says it sounds really good.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Get an Agile?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Get an Agile?

No, Hagstrom.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Jacksons aren't very good below the MG/Pro series, anything around $400 is a JS series, Indian made starters.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
The Les Paul might be nice, but you see everyone with one lol. But if it ends up sounding the best, then that is what I'll get.

You kind of answered your own question as to why everyone has them you know....
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
Quote by pENTAcUBE
Oh! I almost forgot. It's crucial that the neck of the guitar be as slim as possible.

You instantly want an Ibanez then. Ibanez Wizard necks are very slim - about 21mm thin. There are several versions, but the major players are the Wizard II (21mm) and the Wizard Prestige (19mm). Depends on what model you get, but most likely the Wizard II for you.
Ibanez Infinity series pickups are OK, but they may want a swap out at some point. The INF1 is ceramic, which can be powerful, but has a sterile feel to it, and can get kinda muddy with overdrive. There's no real feeling behind the sound, though tweaking the polepieces can help. The INF2 is alnico - much more warm-sounding, with a lot of bite and power behind the sound. However, they are stock pickups, and you may eventually want to change them. I like the INF2 in my S470, but one day there'll be a Gibson 498T in that recess...

Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Last edited by quantum leap at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by quantum leap
You instantly want an Ibanez then. Ibanez Wizard necks are very slim - about 21mm thin. There are several versions, but the major players are the Wizard II (21mm) and the Wizard Prestige (19mm). Depends on what model you get, but most likely the Wizard II for you.
Ibanez Infinity series pickups are OK, but they may want a swap out at some point. The INF1 is ceramic, which can be powerful, but has a sterile feel to it, and can get kinda muddy with overdrive. There's no real feeling behind the sound, though tweaking the polepieces can help. The INF2 is alnico - much more warm-sounding, with a lot of bite and power behind the sound. However, they are stock pickups, and you may eventually want to change them. I like the INF2 in my S470, but one day there'll be a Gibson 498T in that recess...

Rob

Why a gibby 490? Get a duncan distortion, or a Screamin' demon.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by thisismyacc
i would say a ltd kirk hammet model its for like $420

fail.
Quote by BirdHouse
fail.

+1.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
So right now I'm looking at picking up a Bad monkey Distortion pedal, a Blackheart BH5, and some sort of ibanez, still not sure which. Any other suggestions?
Here's one of my absolute favourites, and I fully suggest it to you!

Floyd Rose:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Damien-FR-Electric-Guitar-513103-i1147996.gc

Non Floyd Rose:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Damien-6-Electric-Guitar-103135687-i1147995.gc

Both are the same price, same stuff, except ones got Floyd Rose, and the other is hard tail.
Hagstrom Swede is a belter, and if you can get hold of an Italia they're worth every penny too. Reverend make good stuff around your price range - I tried one last week and was pretty impressed with the quality.
For a slim neck you're not gonna find anything better than Ibanez. The Wizard II is my favorite and the only reason I haven't bout any other guitar.

I like Jackson... stay away from the JS30 models. Look at the dinky's... my roomate just got a DK2M for 550 with some haggling. Very very nice. Slim neck too, not as slim as the Wizard II though, but I enjoy playing it.

Thats about all I can really recommend... just try all the Ibanez and Jacksons in your range. Schecter might have some decent ones in your range too, but it's pushin it.

The Dean's under $500 are crap, you can try em, but I would recommend not even bothering. Same goes for the BC Rich.

Yep, Jackson or Ibanez would be my best recommendation from guitar center. Good Luck
There are quite a few ibanez guitars within my price range (around 500 bucks). Any particulars that are widely recognized as solid guitars? I really don't want to deal with changing tuning with a FR as well, but would if need be. Oh, and anyone know how the necks on the schecters are?