I am thinking about buying one of these. Can anyone tell me what is different between these guitars?

Epi LP standard Plain top

Epi LP standard Plus top

Epi LP Custom

All I think I know is the customs have the block inlays and gold hardware. Neither of which I like. Is there anything else different to make it worth the extra money? And what is different about the plain top vs. plus top.

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help out.
...Why? You have an RG2550..don't downgrade!

But if you must, go for the Custom. Might as well get the best they have, no? Build quality is likely to be higher, but I'm not an Epi expert.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Plain top guitars do not have any curl, or as many know it, flame. They are, well, plain.
Plus tops, on the other hand, have beautiful flame.
When it comes to tonal quality, they're about the same.

EDIT: when I say curl, I mean the grain in the wood.
I plays guitars.
Last edited by 2003LP at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by ChurchNSkate
...Why? You have an RG2550..don't downgrade!

But if you must, go for the Custom. Might as well get the best they have, no? Build quality is likely to be higher, but I'm not an Epi expert.

Maybe he wants the tone of a Les Paul too?

I also would like to know what the difference is between the Plain and Plus top. I just think it's just a different finish.

I've played the custom, it's a good guitar.
Quote by Mockingbird452
Maybe he wants the tone of a Les Paul too?

I also would like to know what the difference is between the Plain and Plus top. I just think it's just a different finish.

I've played the custom, it's a good guitar.

read what I said
it's the wood, not finish
I plays guitars.
Quote by ninja23
I am thinking about buying one of these. Can anyone tell me what is different between these guitars?

Epi LP standard Plain top

Epi LP standard Plus top

Epi LP Custom

All I think I know is the customs have the block inlays and gold hardware. Neither of which I like. Is there anything else different to make it worth the extra money? And what is different about the plain top vs. plus top.

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help out.

They're pretty much the same thing, most of the money you pay is for cosmetics. SO I would suggest the plain top over the others.

As for the guitars in general i've had the standard plus top for around two years, it's a nice guitar IMO. With Epiphones if you want one you have to try a bunch of them and find a good one. Because quality control is inconsistent you'll find good and bad ones.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by 2003LP
read what I said
it's the wood, not finish

Sorry, I didn't see that. I'm pretty sure we were typing up our replies at the same time and you posted before I did.

^ Yeah, I was thinking the same actually. They kind of add up $ for Gold Hardware, and the fact that it's a Custom Les Paul. And the Plus top just has extra money due to the flame.

I kind of like the flame on the Epiphones though.
Thanks a lot guys.

So the pluses flame top curl is purely cosmetic? Is the only difference with the custom the gold hardware and block inlays? Is the custom a plus top?

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it.
Quote by ninja23
Is the only difference with the custom the gold hardware and block inlays? Is the custom a plus top?

Hmm. Yeah, the Custom has extras like the Gold Hardware and the block inlays, but it MIGHT have a little more care when being built, but I duno, just a thought.

And I don't think they use a Flametop for Customs, because of it's solid color paint.

But these are just MY thoughts, they're probably wrong, but I duno.
Thanks I am going tomorrow to check some out.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Because quality control is inconsistent you'll find good and bad ones.

Anything specific to look for when checking them out. Will it just not sound good or play well?

Thanks again guys.
Quote by ninja23
Thanks I am going tomorrow to check some out.

Anything specific to look for when checking them out. Will it just not sound good or play well?

Thanks again guys.

Generally sound and playability will be the key factors.

Some stuff to look for within that could be the neck shape, if it's straight and set up well with proper tension...that sort of stuff.

You also want to see if the volume and pickup switches work all right. Like the volume and tone for the bridge pickup working in the bridge position and the same working for the neck pickup. While all four volume and tone controls should work in the middle position. That sort of thing.
Make sure the electronics aren't noisy and that the guitar is well built and has no build problems.

I'm sure there's more you could look for but those come to mid ATM. So someone else could probably help you there.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Mockingbird452
Hmm. Yeah, the Custom has extras like the Gold Hardware and the block inlays.

The gold hardware fades though.