Im gonna start customizing my guitar soon and i was wondering if instead of buying a new guitar i just get some EMGs in my old one. Will a $200 dollar guitar with $200 pickups play as well as a $700 with $100 pickups?
depends on your amp too, what amp are you playing through?
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
^Watts aren't that important. It's they type of amp that is important. For pickups to make a big change in your tone you need a very nice SS amp or you need a reasonable tube amp. If you are using EMG's through a solid state amp they will make you sound worse not better. If you are looking at EMG's through something like a fender blues Jr then they might help you sound better depending on the tone you are looking for. Most people looking at EMG's will need a good british amp like a Marshal or a Lany get the tone they are looking for.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW
^Watts aren't that important. It's they type of amp that is important. For pickups to make a big change in your tone you need a very nice SS amp or you need a reasonable tube amp. If you are using EMG's through a solid state amp they will make you sound worse not better. If you are looking at EMG's through something like a fender blues Jr then they might help you sound better depending on the tone you are looking for. Most people looking at EMG's will need a good british amp like a Marshal or a Lany get the tone they are looking for.

I dont mean to be an ass or anything, but how can you know what tone hes looking for if he hasnt mentioned anything about his styles? Theres no need to have a british amp in order for EMGs to make a positive difference
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
^The fact that he is looking into EMG's does say something about his styles and about the gear he will need. I didn't say he needed a british amp. I said that most people that are looking into EMG's want a british amp to go with it. I also said that some people like them with fenders and something like the blues jr might be good. I guess I could have said "American amps" rather than suggesting the blues Jr specifically or could have mentioned a couple peavy amps to him that a few people like to use with EMG's with but I just didn't think of it and I don't think it really matters anyway. He asked a general question and I gave a general answer.
Not taking any online orders.