My band is gonna play the school talent show and I need some ideas for catchy popular songs that most people like. We have 1 guitar, 1 bass, a drummer, and a girl lead singer.
carry on my wayward son - kansas, don't stop believing - journey
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Quote by SOAD_freak777
We have 1 guitar, 1 bass, a drummer, and a girl lead singer.

"Zombie" by The Cranberries
"Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes

You can actually segue the bass and drum jam at the end of "Zombie" directly into the opening of "Seven Nation Army," with a little bit of bass solo thrown in for good measure.

So, I would open with those two, without saying anything directly to the audience, and then (after the first two songs), say a few words to get the people excited and make sure they know your band's name. (I'm guessing that an MC would introduce you in the first place.)

Play another song - maybe one that you've written yourselves - and then ask if the audience remembers the band's name. Get them to yell it back at you, and then go into one more.

I would choose a closing song that is popular with the audience, that they're going to enjoy and remember you playing. I'm a little out of touch with the high school crowd these days, and the songs you pick will largely depend on your vocalist's range.

Best of luck with the performance, though.
Start with something they will know.seven nattion army is a good one.

second song should be an origional and make sure the crowd knows that its an origional.

last play another song people will know. Something a bit slow. I dont have a sugestion though sorry.
everyone knows wake me up when september ends by green day. it's not on my favourites list for sure, but people know it. and it'd be slow, and something that would end well, like the poison said. and you may need to take the vocals up an octave for the girl singer,
most ppl dont wanna hear rock at talent shows lol....

lets see, at mine:
Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
Sweet Child o'Mine - Guns N' Roses

thats all I can remember really.
excuse me, most people DON'T want to hear rock?

I'd hate to see where you go to school, Shadow_Hawk, because where I come from, it's all there is. Definitely if you can, go with some Coheed, Cartel, Mayday Parade, maybe a little Nightwish (Nemo, She Is My Sin, etc).
Четвертый член в "Русскoй группe." PM Vindication to join.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG470

Peavey Bandit 112

Shooting for a PODxt

Forevermore

Kingston In Ruins
Anything from Guitar Hero or Rock Band. Always works. It might be better to do something that was originally done by a female singer though.
Quote by Jix_Jax
excuse me, most people DON'T want to hear rock?

I'd hate to see where you go to school, Shadow_Hawk, because where I come from, it's all there is. Definitely if you can, go with some Coheed, Cartel, Mayday Parade, maybe a little Nightwish (Nemo, She Is My Sin, etc).

ya my school sucks balls like that, almost everone is into this rap ****. few ppl listen to rock, even fewer metalheads or blues cats. W/e tho, I dont really care.
Thx for the suggestions everyone. I was thinking about trying paramore songs since they are sung by a girl already. I think if we play some pop punk songs that people will like them. My problem is I don't really listen to pop punk so could some suggest some pop punk songs.
My personal favorite closing song is "You Know You're Right" by Nirvana. A female singer could without a doubt get it easily, considering Kurt is doing the high pitched yell the whole time. Also a Adveral Lavigne (sp?) song would get them going.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
If you're A) Asking that question B) Asking it on a forum, do yourself and us a big favor and quit playing music.

thanks in advance
Quote by BrianApocalypse
How about "Sk8er Boi" or "Smells like Teen Spirit"?

sk8r boi? **** off
guns n roses and metalicca are ****ing staple artists!