Poll: Who has the best sounding mix?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who has the best sounding mix?
aetherspear - [url]http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/aetherspear/[/url]
0 0%
Crazy Drummer69 - [url]http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Crazy+Drummer69/[/url]
5 50%
Wayward_Son - [url]http://www.mediafire.com/?0czginltxyx[/url]
1 10%
Slash-120 - [url]http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/slash-120/[/url]
0 0%
sam i am - [url]http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/sam+i+am/music/[/url]
1 10%
af_the_fragile - [url]http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/af_the_fragile/[/url]
3 30%
Voters: 10.
So I'm tired of waiting. There are 12 contestants and too much beauracratic BS for me to take. There will be 2 votes because there are too many entries for one single vote. Constructive feedback is welcome and greatly encouraged. The top 2 mixes from each vote will be thrown into a final 4-way vote to declare the final winner.

Contestants who participated in this competition are allowed to vote, but may not vote for their own mix.

and please visit VOTE #1 HERE
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Last edited by Crazy Drummer69 at Mar 29, 2008,
No one voted here yet...

And we've got a problem here.
This way we can end up voting twice. Once in each thread/poll...
aetherspear - Sounds like the compressor is turned up a little too high on the kick woofer. Volume level of the overall track is nice. Fair tone, maybe a little muddy which some EQ could fix. Some effect on the solo to make it stand out some more would have been something I would have done. You and MrPillow were the only two who faded the master at the end of the song, great catch on that. Good work.

Crazy Drummer69 - Crazy bass opening. The drum reverb sounded a little too much at the opening but once the guitars came in it leveled out quite nicely. Overall volume level of the song is good as is the mix. The solo guitar didn't stand out much with the EQ choices you made which I didn't like much but overall a great job on this production.

Wayward_Son - edited: I thought it was a joke at first but turns out it wasn't...I just didn't listen far enough. After the opening which was annoying to my ear..., I hear you have a nice phaser effect on the guitar and the mix is nice and even. The solo guitar could be turned up some more to stand out but its got a nice tone. I like the bass drum sound, its got a nice blend of beater and woofer. I cant say I like your opening and closing...its just too obnoxious to my ear... Good job on the project.

slash-120 - Quite a bit of ringing in the snare which is noticeable at the opening. Guitars seemed a little too overpowering which covered up the drums. Some fine tuning on the EQ to bring out some clarity would help IMO. The solo seemed harsh to my ear at parts and there was no effect added to it so it seemed "dry".

Sam i am - Overall the volume was a little low and the reverb was a little too heavy to my taste. Reverb should be used just to the point where you can start hearing a change, anything over that and the track will start to get muddy. Interesting work of the pan feature during the solo and it sounds like you doubled that track as well. I also liked the outro of the solo, nice sustained feedback.

af_the_fragile - Good job on the mix, nice and even. Clarity could be worked on a little more with the EQ IMO. Sounds like you doubled the guitar solo track as well and paned both center and Right, made it stand out some and was interesting. Some FX for the overall track, even some simple reverb would have made a chance for the better IMO.

Now that I have put a comment in for all the tracks I will listen to them all a few times and pick the one I feel is best to my ear. I should have my vote in later today. I really hope we see another production comp. thread in the future. I know most of you and even I have learned quite a bit from this, great job everyone.
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 30, 2008,
This poll was actually a rough one to choose but overall I think af_the_fragile did the best and so I give him my vote in this poll.

I still think some reverb would have made the overall production better but your mix was nice and clean.
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
This poll was actually a touch one to choose but overall I think af_the_fragile did the best and so I give him my vote in this poll.

I still think some reverb would have made the overall production better but your mix was nice and clean.

I did say i only spent 3hrs on it getting the levels right and giving every instrument its place in the track.
I didn't use any sorta dynamics processing and effects on the tracks. I just didn't have decent plug-ins to get the job done. Thats why i named it as RAW cuz well, the tracks are all just raw.

ANyway, thanks for the vote! I'm quite delighted!!
Hey moody, please actually listen to the whole track. The drums and bass intro has a DS-1 plug-in it because I thought it sounded cool and made the full entrance sound more climatic. It may sound like it's "clipping", but I checked the levels on Audacity before I exported the mp3 and I assure you there is no actual clipping in the track.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I think my submission got overlooked

Anyways, if anyone would be kind enough to crit mine (even via PM) it would be greatly appreciated. Please note I decided to enter a day or so before the deadline and only spent a few hours on it.

Edit: It's in my profile.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by Death-Speak
I think my submission got overlooked

Anyways, if anyone would be kind enough to crit mine it would be greatly appreciated. Please note I decided to enter a day or so before the deadline and only spent a few hours on it.

Ahh that was probably my fault. I didn't add you to the big list on the original post. I'm really sorry, I must have missed. The perils of not having an avatar. I'll try an crit your mix later....
No problem. I figured waiting until the very last minute to decide to enter didn't help the cause.
Made up statistic
aetherspear - I thought the kick tone was little strange, a bit too boomy, with not enough 'smack' to it. Overall levels good, although the snare seemed to get a bit lost in the chorus. The guitar solo tone was nice, but I thought you brought it too forward in the mix.

Craztdrummer69 - Didn't like the kick tone, it sounded too synthetic. For some reason everytime I went on your profile, firefox took all the CPU and ended up not responding, so I couldn't crit yours properly, sorry.

Wayward_Son - The mix was a little muddy in places, you could have done more to separate the instruments more. I didn't like the distortion plug in you used for the drums, although I could see what you were going for and how it could have sounded good with tweaking, or even on another track. I liked the solo tone.

slash-120
- I thought the guitars were lacking in clarity, but the drums sounded pretty good, although the snare was drowned out in places. Sounded like it clipped a little on the solo, which I thought was too loud.

sam-i-am
- The track seemed a little quiet. I like what you did with the solo in terms of effects, but, as with many of these it seemed a little to loud for my taste, overpowering the rhythm section.

af_the_fragile
- Good general mix, I liked the levels, nicely balanced. It was lacking in other areas, but you mentioned that really all you focused on was the levels etc. so overall very good.

Death Speak - Thought I may as well crit yours here whilst I am at it. The drums need some serious work, very tinny and lacking any kind of 'beefiness'. I liked the effect on the solo, but I think it set it apart from the rest of the track a little too much. The overall guitar tone was ok, and the levels weren't bad. It would be a lot better if the drums weren't so tinny.

If this competition has shown anything, it's how hard it is to get a really good mix,something people who don't have any experience with recording and mixing seem to overlook. Anyway, my vote in this thread will go to af_the_fragile. It wasn't perfect, and didn't offer much in the way of creativity, but the balance was good, and most of the others had some feature that I really didn't like.
There is poetry in despair.
Thanks fridge!
Made up statistic