I noticed awhile ago that everyone here seemed to just LOVE the peavey 6505/5150. I play alot of metal (br00talz) so I figured this would be a good amp for me. Everyone here raved about them and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. I decided I had to have one of these amps and almost bought one blind but I'm glad I didn't. My local music store had a 6505+ so I went to try it out one saturday morning. I plugged in my jackson soloist and was anticipating some AWESOME TONE. I was severly disappointed when the amp billowed out the most SH**TY tone I have ever heard. This couldn't be what UG was talking about... UG usually has a pretty good opinion and have never let me down. I spent an hour and a half with the salesperson at my local music store dialing it in, switching cabs, switching guitars. I tried everything. Finally I turned to him and said why does this amp sound so bad is it broken? Everyone I know raves about how good these amps are... He just looked at me suprised and said "they ARE SH*T amps...". Lets just say I was shocked hearing this from him. This guy plays in a thrash metal band here in my town and is an awesome guy. I was severly disappointed and shocked at how UG had let me down. Oh I almost forgot I tried playing Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, COB, Shadows fall, old school thrash to modern metal and it all sucked. Anyways back to the story... What's the deal UG with the love for th 6505/5150??? Surely we must be talking about a different amp???

I had lost almost all my respect for peavey that day and vowed NEVER to buy one of there products... But then something.... happened. Yesterday I was browsing around the same music store and I was talking to the same salesguy about how much the 6505 sucked. He agreed with everything I said until I said peavey sucked. "no, no, no, he says". "Peavey certainly does not suck". I looked at him like this: .
he says "you need to try the jsx". So he grabs me a cable I grab my trusty soloist and I plug into that "thing". after a couple minutes of playing I was SHOCKED. This can't be the same brand I was thinking to myself. Seriously I couldn't dial that thing in bad... Scoop the mids, boost the bids, cut the bass, cut the presence... It always sounded great. I cranked the gain on ultra to 8, the channel volume at 5 and master volume at 5 and it brang the BR00TALZ all day long. D*MN I am getting me one of these... Words cannot even express how much better this amp is then the 6505/5150 for EVERYTHING. Sorry for the long post but I think everyone should read this: THe peavey 6505/5150 is not all it's cracked up to be. It is nothing but a fad on UG and I'm am certain most of the people suggesting others to buy it have NOT played it themselves. You have been WARNED. If you are looking for an AWESOME metal amp that can bring the BR00TALZ get the jsx. you will not be disappointed. /end /rant.
Thank you and good day UG. Flame away.
you are aware you are in the pit...

and i havent tried either amps, mainly because Music stores in canada suck
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I know I'm in the pit. Should I post it in GG&E? I figured that wouldn't really be the place for that. I'm also in Canada and it was my local small music store.
I had the exact same experience. I spent a good thirty minutes on a 6505 trying to figure out what all the hype was about, only to walk away incredibly disappointed.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
You need to dial in the 5150. I've got some amazing tones from it. I prefer the JSX, though.

And if you played the amp at 5 and 5, you seriously overcranked it.
what's an amp? a new drug or something?
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by metal Lover
You need to dial in the 5150. I've got some amazing tones from it. I prefer the JSX, though.

And if you played the amp at 5 and 5, you seriously overcranked it.

I overcranked a tube amp at 5 volume
Quote by Calgone
I had the exact same experience. I spent a good thirty minutes on a 6505 trying to figure out what all the hype was about, only to walk away incredibly disappointed.

+1

i'm a personal fan of the triple x heads
the game
Wrong Forum. go to GG&A
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by stevenexp
I overcranked a tube amp at 5 volume

I've yet to turn my amp up that high. And I've played some pretty big outdoor gigs, unmiced.

You didn't overcrank it. If you indeed played it at that volume, it would completely clear the room of customers.
Quote by stevenexp
local music store... small town in Canada... I was the only customer :P

okay. I cant even understand why it would be enjoyable at that volume. Especially indoors, right in front of the amp, trying it out. 3 1/2 or maybe 4 is plenty. 120 watts is a hell of lot of power.
Honestly dude, it's all in what you like your tone to be. EVH played those..even helped design them. How bad can they be if he used them live?

Honestly, I love the sound of them. Not much for cleans, but to me the distorted tones are awesome.

The JSX, fyi, is Joe Satriani's signature head...of course it's going to be awesome
Nope, no sig here.
You're in the wrong forum, but maybe you just suck at EQing. They wouldn't get all these wraps on here if they were crap.
I dialed in that 6505+ for a very long time and tried everything. My conclusion: just a plain old BAD amp. And yes EVH did design it but I'm sure his is modified.