I noticed awhile ago that everyone here seemed to just LOVE the peavey 6505/5150. I play alot of metal (br00talz) so I figured this would be a good amp for me. Everyone here raved about them and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. I decided I had to have one of these amps and almost bought one blind but I'm glad I didn't. My local music store had a 6505+ so I went to try it out one saturday morning. I plugged in my jackson soloist and was anticipating some AWESOME TONE. I was severly disappointed when the amp billowed out the most SH**TY tone I have ever heard. This couldn't be what UG was talking about... UG usually has a pretty good opinion and have never let me down. I spent an hour and a half with the salesperson at my local music store dialing it in, switching cabs, switching guitars. I tried everything. Finally I turned to him and said why does this amp sound so bad is it broken? Everyone I know raves about how good these amps are... He just looked at me suprised and said "they ARE SH*T amps...". Lets just say I was shocked hearing this from him. This guy plays in a thrash metal band here in my town and is an awesome guy. I was severly disappointed and shocked at how UG had let me down. Oh I almost forgot I tried playing Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, COB, Shadows fall, old school thrash to modern metal and it all sucked. Anyways back to the story... What's the deal UG with the love for th 6505/5150??? Surely we must be talking about a different amp???

I had lost almost all my respect for peavey that day and vowed NEVER to buy one of there products... But then something.... happened. Yesterday I was browsing around the same music store and I was talking to the same salesguy about how much the 6505 sucked. He agreed with everything I said until I said peavey sucked. "no, no, no, he says". "Peavey certainly does not suck". I looked at him like this: .
he says "you need to try the jsx". So he grabs me a cable I grab my trusty soloist and I plug into that "thing". after a couple minutes of playing I was SHOCKED. This can't be the same brand I was thinking to myself. Seriously I couldn't dial that thing in bad... Scoop the mids, boost the bids, cut the bass, cut the presence... It always sounded great. I cranked the gain on ultra to 8, the channel volume at 5 and master volume at 5 and it brang the BR00TALZ all day long. D*MN I am getting me one of these... Words cannot even express how much better this amp is then the 6505/5150 for EVERYTHING. Sorry for the long post but I think everyone should read this: THe peavey 6505/5150 is not all it's cracked up to be. It is nothing but a fad on UG and I'm am certain most of the people suggesting others to buy it have NOT played it themselves. You have been WARNED. If you are looking for an AWESOME metal amp that can bring the BR00TALZ get the jsx. you will not be disappointed. /end /rant.
Thank you and good day UG. Flame away.
you didnt crank it..
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Maybe the 5150 just wasn't for you.

I tried one and I was also dissapointed, but then I'm not one for br00t4ls anymore. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks, TS.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Maybe the 5150 just wasn't for you.

I tried one and I was also dissapointed, but then I'm not one for br00t4ls anymore. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks, TS.

Trust me I tried to play lots of different stuff on it. And the thing is it's not just a "not for me" amp. The tone truly does suck. I can't see anyone wanting this amp. Maybe if you want an amp that vomits sh*t all day long?
Quote by stevenexp
Trust me I tried to play lots of different stuff on it. And the thing is it's not just a "not for me" amp. The tone truly does suck. I can't see anyone wanting this amp. Maybe if you want an amp that vomits sh*t all day long?

Although I personally can see where you're coming from, becuase I didn't like it either, It is still regarded as one of THE metal amps, and is used by countless bands.

Peavey must be doing something right.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Dear Thread starter.

I noticed a while ago that you posted a thread concerning the 6505/5150 and how everyone on UG "loves" them. It has come to my attention that you, as an individual, do not.
After sitting in front of my computer for 5 minutes reading you're post, I just couldn't seem to dial in any sense to your statements. I asked the monitor 'what's with this guy? Everyone said they loved something and he did not?' and the monitor replied with 'Dude, this is A **** thread.'

To clarify, let me help you on some things.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinions
Opinions, have you heard of them? I guess not.

Your thread was based purely off of what has become these 'opinions'.
Every UGer's thread about the 6505/5150, has also being based on these 'opinions'.
But opinions often do not match up between every regular Harry, Dick, and John.
So with that in mind, don't blame UG for making you try what you think is a **** amp.

Also, with what you ended your post with, it makes me seem as if you are as bad as the UGers you spoke about.

'You have been WARNED. If you are looking for an AWESOME metal amp that can bring the BR00TALZ get the jsx. you will not be disappointed.'

You have just done what every body you spoke about has done before, making you, a hypocrite. So next time, choose your words carefully, so you don't end up looking as bad as the people you were criticizing.

-Moe.
Quote by stevenexp

no, it's really just a "not for you" amp. The 5150/5150II/6505/6505+ have been used on tons of metal albums. Arch Enemy, Kreator, Soilwork, In Flames, Carcass, Disillusion, God Forbid, Strapping Young Lad, etc... have all used them at one point and recorded them. Anything produced by Andy Sneap probably has some in the mix, they are used all the time for metal by people that are making albums. Maybe the tubes were shot or something in the one you were using.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by Moe.
Dear Thread starter.

I noticed a while ago that you posted a thread concerning the 6505/5150 and how everyone on UG "loves" them. It has come to my attention that you, as an individual, do not.
After sitting in front of my computer for 5 minutes reading you're post, I just couldn't seem to dial in any sense to your statements. I asked the monitor 'what's with this guy? Everyone said they loved something and he did not?' and the monitor replied with 'Dude, this is A **** thread.'

To clarify, let me help you on some things.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinions
Opinions, have you heard of them? I guess not.

Your thread was based purely off of what has become these 'opinions'.
Every UGer's thread about the 6505/5150, has also being based on these 'opinions'.
But opinions often do not match up between every regular Harry, Dick, and John.
So with that in mind, don't blame UG for making you try what you think is a **** amp.

Also, with what you ended your post with, it makes me seem as if you are as bad as the UGers you spoke about.

'You have been WARNED. If you are looking for an AWESOME metal amp that can bring the BR00TALZ get the jsx. you will not be disappointed.'

You have just done what every body you spoke about has done before, making you, a hypocrite. So next time, choose your words carefully, so you don't end up looking as bad as the people you were criticizing.

-Moe.

Did I not just give my opinion? I am only warning other people about how most people on this forum have never played one but suggest new people to buy them for a "good" metal amp. you can take it as you will but I stand by my statements. Good day sir.
Quote by stevenexp
Did I not just give my opinion? I am only warning other people about how most people on this forum have never played one but suggest new people to buy them for a "good" metal amp. you can take it as you will but I stand by my statements. Good day sir.

No, you're not warning people about how people who haven't played an amp are recommending it. You are Presuming that people haven't played it.
And like I said, an opinions an opinion, whether you agree with it or not.
Quote by Moe.
No, you're not warning people about how people who haven't played an amp are recommending it. You are Presuming that people haven't played it.
And like I said, an opinions an opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

would you care to back up your statements? If you re-read my post you will see I was also asking why UG loves these amps so much. And yes I am assumeing most people have not actually played it because if they did I can't see how they would possibly recommend it.

EDIT: Also everyone here can take it as they want. I just thought I would give my 2 sents about it. Please don't take it too personally. :P
Last edited by stevenexp at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by stevenexp
And yes I am assumeing most people have not actually played it because if they did I can't see how they would possibly recommend it.

Well, if you look at my first post of this thread, it does state 'Opinions don't always match from every Harry dick and John.'
Meaning they might like it, and you may not.
So your saying Eddie Van Halen's tone sucked and it sucks for metal and can't get brutal?

Interesting.... I'll blame it on the Jackson and your lack of good taste....

Pets the the 5150 your still beautiful even if some guy with bad taste doesn't like you..
I was also disappointed when I tried out the 6505 in-store. It sounded like utter crap, with muddy distortion weak, thin tone and the list goes on. But the store sold new 6505s cheaper than you get a used 5150, so I just went for it, and the moment I got it with me at a band practise, I LOVED it. It is amazing how the amp comes alive at 3-5 on the post gain, and how bad the amp sounded at the store, even at quite loud volumes.
Moe's been trying to make a point...maybe I can shed a different light on it.

I don't like the 5150/6505's either. At all. My friend had one, I didn't like it. I went to see a band that both guitarists used them...I couldn't stay for more than one set although I tried. I decided that the amp didn't suck...it was just not pleasing to MY ears. I don't like Marshalls or Mesas either and people on here rave about those, too. Does that mean they suck, too? No...not just because they don't satisfy MY ears. There's thousands of bands out there making their money using all of these amps, so someone's happy with that sound.

All of us here are tone chasers...we have a sound in our heads we're looking for. Some have found it, most haven't. If you're trying to emulate a particular artist's tone, good luck to you. Alot of times the pros mod their amps & effects & won't tell you how because that's what makes their sound unique and they want it to stay that way. Even if you had your favorite guitarist's rig to the letter, you're still not gonna sound like him 'cause you don't have his hands which is a major factor in the sound.

Bottom line - go try everything you can...sooner or later your ear will say "Oh yeah, that's it right there!" But what if it's something labeled "bad" like a Marshall MG or a Line 6? Are you gonna let it go just because a forum says it's crap? Myself, I use a Bugera 333 thru a 4x12 Behringer cab. Now I've just opened a can of worms and opened myself to a hundred posts about how Bugera & Behringer are crap. Honestly, I could care less. I've been doing this 18 years...a buncha goofball flame posts doesn't make me lose sleep because I found a sound that makes me excited to play.

As far as Peavey, Mesa, or Marshall goes, if those make someone excited to pick up their guitar then good for them. Go get 'em.
Quote by fretboarddragon

Bottom line - go try everything you can...sooner or later your ear will say "Oh yeah, that's it right there!" But what if it's something labeled "bad" like a Marshall MG or a Line 6? Are you gonna let it go just because a forum says it's crap? Myself, I use a Bugera 333 thru a 4x12 Behringer cab. Now I've just opened a can of worms and opened myself to a hundred posts about how Bugera & Behringer are crap. Honestly, I could care less. I've been doing this 18 years...a buncha goofball flame posts doesn't make me lose sleep because I found a sound that makes me excited to play.

How does it sound?
I'm thinking of running a Bugera 333 through my Behringer BG412v.
Can it get anywhere near the tone that Breaking Benjamin use?

Oh, and you made a great point through out your post.
actually, i've noticed lately that a lot of people have been putting "no 5150/6505 please" in their amp threads. Although thats probably because just about everybody recommends them on here, because of the bandwagon thing, even though not everyone needs a high gain amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
actually, i've noticed lately that a lot of people have been putting "no 5150/6505 please" in their amp threads. Although thats probably because just about everybody recommends them on here, because of the bandwagon thing, even though not everyone needs a high gain amp.

Might also be because they have a reputation of not having much cleans to write home about.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
what really gets me mad is no matter what if someone is asking for a "what amp for metal" UG will suggest a 5150/6505. And I am also no tone snob. I think the marhall mg isn't half bad aswell as the spider series... (I would never gig with them but they make decent practice amps). Also enjoy your cheap chinese caps in your bugera blowing up. It's such a shame when the bugeras sound so good but have such bad reliability.
The 6505+ at my local music store sucks too.. I think the tubes are dead or something because it sounds horrible.

Quote by stevenexp
what really gets me mad is no matter what if someone is asking for a "what amp for metal" UG will suggest a 5150/6505.

Why do you get mad? They are great amps for metal.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by stevenexp
what really gets me mad is no matter what if someone is asking for a "what amp for metal" UG will suggest a 5150/6505. And I am also no tone snob. I think the marhall mg isn't half bad aswell as the spider series... (I would never gig with them but they make decent practice amps). Also enjoy your cheap chinese caps in your bugera blowing up. It's such a shame when the bugeras sound so good but have such bad reliability.

Bad reliability? I haven't heard of any Bugera amps breaking down so far. Is this a bit of hearsay?

As for your whole '5150/5150II/5150+/6505/6505+ amps suck' rant, I find it hard to believe you could not get a usable metal tone out of it. Maybe you just don't know how to set your amps.

Because, even though I never liked the amp much, I could still get a pretty awesome metal tone out of it without playing with the settings very much. The thing is pretty much voiced for metal right out of the box you know. It was even better with a boost.

Just because you don't like something and don't know how to set your amps doesn't mean something sucks you know.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Just because you don't like something and don't know how to set your amps doesn't mean something sucks you know.

+1
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Bad reliability? I haven't heard of any Bugera amps breaking down so far. Is this a bit of hearsay?

Well, yes. There have been pretty much no reports on UG - but there have been multiple on Harmony Central, even some reports of caps exploding (at least people mention them, haven't read anything like it myself). Honestly, I'm not sure on how much I'd trust HC on this since the badmouthing about them even before they were released was just crazy.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Well, yes. There have been pretty much no reports on UG - but there have been multiple on Harmony Central, even some reports of caps exploding (at least people mention them, haven't read anything like it myself). Honestly, I'm not sure on how much I'd trust HC on this since the badmouthing about them even before they were released was just crazy.

Yeah, HC is a bit biased on a few products, much like us.

I'll start believing the reliability issues when I actually HEAR about it and not read about it on a forum.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
To threadstarter, a lot of times if you are doing a little research on something that you think you will/should like (in this case, the 6505/5105) you will find your self clinging to positive remarks and reviews because it's what you want to hear. You will like for people saying good things about this amp. This can subconciously trick you. If you are looking on the internet for info on gear, look for negative aspects as well. In fact, read some of the worst reviews of the gear. A lot of times the bad review will be nonsensical but if you get someone who knows what they are talking about, you might learn something. Do this with the JSX now and see if it makes a difference, but you already played it so it probably won't matter. The only thing I would tell you now is to go to different shops and play other 6505's and JSX's and see if things remain the same.
I also find myself not enjoying the 5150/5150II/5150+/6505/6505+ series of amps. I think I also grew up listening to tones from Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Slash and stuff like that so the metal and hard rock tones are bright and wide open in my head. Whereas todays metal is a real thick (to my ears muddy) sound.

But I listen to and enjoy In Flames and I really like the sound they put out.

With that being said every band that has used the 5150/5150II/5150+/6505/6505+ series of amps I've seen locally or had played the same night with my bands, I thought their tone was awful. Yet Again they probably had the gain dimed and don't know how to EQ properly.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at Mar 29, 2008,
I also tried out a 6505, I hated it. I'm not sure if it's a "not for me" kind of thing either, as I was looking for a BTBAM type tone (I believe they use 6505s), and it wasn't even close. Just mud.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X