Page 1 of 2
First off, yes, I am new here.

Now that that's outta the way, onto the question. I've got a stock Gretsch Elecromatic G5135 Corvette--everything's the way it was out of the box it came in.

The pickups I've got are pretty good, but I want something that's got more punch to it. I've been looking, and I've been thinking, maybe, a pair of Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaines or Blackouts, or an EMG 81/85 set.

Any help from the community, please?
The corvette is solid, so it should be fine. I think it's an awesome guitar, and the extra punch sounds like a good idea. It has regular sized buckers right?
What style of music? If you play anything besides hard rock/metal, I wouldn't go with active pickups.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
I play, pretty much, a little bit of everything--some metal here and there, lotsa classic rock, and a bit of punk and alternative.

Whaddya guys suggest? And yes, the humbuckers are full-size.
Last edited by ARC-1138 at Mar 29, 2008,
id say some high output passive humbukers maybe bare nuckle
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

If you're more classic rock than metal, I'd say actives might not be your ticket. Something more like a Duncan JB in the bridge & a Jazz or '59 in the neck. The JB/Jazz combo has been the "universal set" for years. They're quite responsive and can cover a wide range of styles..like everything you've listed. I have 2 guitars with this setup, one with a Distortion, & one with EMG's. I save that one for my band's heavier stuff.
Just to correct people: I'm pretty sure the corvette has mini-humbuckers, NOT fullsize

edit: unless, of course, you happen to have a different version of the corvette to the one i saw in a store a few weeks ago.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It definatly has mini humbuckers.

Meaning: EMG's wont fit. And if they did, you wouldn't want them for your style of music.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Mar 29, 2008,
Well, if it does have mini humbuckers, I've been thinking, would Seymour Duncan Phat Cats fit? Or Sm-3s?
Last edited by ARC-1138 at Mar 29, 2008,
get the dave mustains.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
What amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I was making that same choice (different guitar of course) and after alot of thought, I got me some Seymour Duncan JB pickups..and they sound so nice

Go for the Duncans!
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by FacingUsAll
What amp do you have?

I use a Marshall MG15CDR. Also, I think that I'd want to get the Seymour Duncans--the SM-3s or the Phat Cats.
Quote by MrCarrot
Gretsch + EMGs = *facepalm*

That's what I was thinking when I read the thread title.

If you like to change batteries a lot, go for the EMGs. But I'd choose Seymour Duncans.
^EMG batteries actually last for several months at a time, if you remember to unplug your cable when you're not using the guitar..

Quote by MrCarrot
Gretsch + EMGs = *facepalm*

for real. Sounds like you bought the wrong guitar...

Quote by ARC-1138
I use a Marshall MG15CDR. Also, I think that I'd want to get the Seymour Duncans--the SM-3s or the Phat Cats.

Two things:
Phat Cats don't fit in there. Those are for normal humbucker sized routings..

Also, Don't bother getting new pickups - you won't notice that much a difference. Get a new amp, if you don't like your tone...Amps are much more important than pickups in the bigger picture, and yours isn't that good...
Many a people are gonna tell you to get a new amp, so be prepared for it. And id have to agree with i them on it, a new amp will drastically change the sound from your guitar than new pups.
Gretsch+EMGs+MG= EPIC PHAIL.

Seriously, get a new amp to start off. Then maybe new pickups if you can find some that fit, but I'm suprised as Gretsch usually have decent pickups.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
new amp for sure
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by wyldeshredder
tube amp*

Would a Blackheart do the job? Or a Palomino? They've both gotten pretty good reviews, and I really don't wanna spend that much.
Would I need to get something like an Ibanez Tube Screamer to more of that really dirty sound?
I've been thinking...which to get, a Vox AD30VT, or a Fender Super Champ XD? I wanna get at least 15 watts of power, but I'm on a bit of a smaller budget than I thought.
Classic rock, alternative, a bit of punk, and a hint of metal.
My budget can go from about, say $50-300.
You'll need to save a bit more if you want something that can keep up with a drummer, in terms of volume, but something from the Vov Valvetronix line would suit you. Not their XL line, though.

I think the 30 watt version goes for 350, but its not loud enough for a drummer, so I'd say to get the AD15VT. Even though the Vox is a big improvement from the Marshall MG, I would recommend just saving some more, so you can get a bigger amp that will serve you better in the long run.
Hmmm, I'll take it into thought. Anywho, back to the pickups. The Gretsch comes with a Bigsby B50, and I've been thinking if you have to get new pickups either in regular or in f-spacing. Can anyone help me with that?
Dude, new amp first.

Who has that quote in their sig?

"New amp before guitar (or pickups, in your case), always. Unless your guitar has a plywood body and a 2x4 neck"
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Dude, new amp first.

Who has that quote in their sig?

"New amp before guitar (or pickups, in your case), always. Unless your guitar has a plywood body and a 2x4 neck"

I'm pretty sure it was darkarbiter who said it, not sure who's got it in their sig though.

For the love of god though... get a new amp. $300 gets you a decent Cube or Valvetronix, or even a Blackheart and a pedal.
Yeah, twas darkarbiter.

Seriously TS. New amp. I would lean towards the Blackheart meself.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by forsaknazrael
You'll need to save a bit more if you want something that can keep up with a drummer, in terms of volume, but something from the Vov Valvetronix line would suit you. Not their XL line, though.

I think the 30 watt version goes for 350, but its not loud enough for a drummer, so I'd say to get the AD15VT. Even though the Vox is a big improvement from the Marshall MG, I would recommend just saving some more, so you can get a bigger amp that will serve you better in the long run.

An AD50VT is 350. The AD30 is about 270.

For my 2 cents, go for the Valve Junior and a Metal Muff. The Metal Muff is a versatile pedal. OR get a Bad Monkey. OR Get the VJ+MM+BM.

A 5 watt tube is going to sound way louder than a 15 watt SS, which is what you are used to.
Page 1 of 2