Page 1 of 2
I come to you now not as the all knowing God with which you are familiar, but as an ignorant consumer like yourselves. Thanks to the happening of various happenings, I will soon find myself without an amp and several grand to spare. In celebration of the customization of my main guitar (had a new neck made) I'm planning a complete overhaul of my rig. In addition to a G-System and a MIDI pickup system, I'll obviously need a new amp. My criteria are as follows...

- Wattage is largely irrelevant. I'll need some degree of clean headroom, so a minimum of 30 watts sounds reasonable, but it's not a huge issue.
- At least two channels with independent EQ. Three is better, one is unacceptable.
- Master volume is essential. I'll be gigging with it, but I need to be able to use it without eliciting homicidal thoughts from those I'm living with. I don't need fantastic tone at low volumes, but I do need usable tone at low volumes.
- Effects loop is essential
- Combo

As for my tonal preferences...

- I'm not a metal player, and I have no use for a heavy sound with scooped mids. I am, however, looking for a smooth tone with relatively high gain. Not necessarily "Mesa level" gain, but something around the level of 80's metal (note: I don't actually play 80's metal, nor do I want 80's metal tone. Just around that level of gain)
- I want something with a dark voice, but without the muddy low end mess of a Rectifier.
- The lead tone I'm looking for is most similar to this or this .
- I don't care how bad the clean channel is. I'll be running it through a ridiculous number of effects anyway.

I'm willing to spend around $1,800. I was thinking of getting the Spider III, but I'm open to other suggestions if you think there is something better
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 29, 2008,
http://www.music123.com/-i1386469.Music123

just a little bit out your price range though, but i hear good things
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Wow, dude, with that amount of money, don't go for the spider III.
30 tube watts also gives you plenty of head room.
And you'd be better off going and trying some amps for yourself rather than take our opinions.
Quote by Moe.
Wow, dude, with that amount of money, don't go for the spider III.

No one has ever failed humor as much as you just did.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No one has ever failed humor as much as you just did.

Was I trying humor?
Seriously, I was trying to steer you away from a crap amp.
Like I said, with that amount of money, do not go for a spider III.
But, whatever; it's your money.
Maybe you should look into an MG or 5 or something since you don't care about peoples advice.
Quote by Moe.
Was I trying humor?
Seriously, I was trying to steer you away from a crap amp.
Like I said, with that amount of money, do not go for a spider III.
But, whatever; it's your money.
Maybe you should look into an MG or 5 or something since you don't care about peoples advice.

Again, no one has ever failed humor as much as you just did.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Again, no one has ever failed humor as much as you just did.

That's okay, because no body has ever failed at wise spending like you.
Seriously, cut all the bull****, and don't go for the Spider III. You will regret it, and there isn't a point in it considering you were going to run pedals through it.
Quote by Moe.
That's okay, because no body has ever failed at wise spending like you.
Seriously, cut all the bull****, and don't go for the Spider III. You will regret it, and there isn't a point in it considering you were going to run pedals through it.

This is getting hilarious.
I added a smiley to my original post for the "reading between the lines" challenged among us.
Most people here will tell you not to get the Spider. and will suggest a tube amp. so will i, since i find that tube amps are superior to the Spiders.

You can try the Laney LC or VC 30 amps.

The difference between the LC30-II and VC30-212 is that the LC has 2 separate equalisers, but do not sound as good clean than the VC at low volume. also, it has higher gain. it's more american (fender-y). the VC30 has one equalier, a more balanced sound, and lesser gain. it is more british (vox-y) sounding.

they have bright switches too, if you find that they are too dark for the 80s metal sound. i can get the 80s metal trebly sound with my LC15R and my crunchbox (the LC15R has only 1 channel)

they're pretty cheap too, compared with how much you're willing to shell out.

also, there's the Marshall JVM combos...
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
To be honest, I had trouble finding the joke too - the smiley helped, tho. But this is getting ridiculous

But anyway. I believe Laney's aren't the best value in the US? Besides, for 1800, you can get better I think. So, how about a Mark IV? Some people just love them, so I suggest you go and play one somewhere. I believe you can get one used for that price at least.

Other things to consider: Orange? Engls might be good but I believe they're more bright amps.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Archeo Avis
This is getting hilarious.
I added a smiley to my original post for the "reading between the lines" challenged among us.

Alright I understand now.
But it's hard to follow you're joke as there's 100's of kids asking about the Spider III and what not..
The spider joke was funny. I got it.

For a dark voiced amp I would go with an AC30.
Quote by Moe.
But it's hard to follow you're joke as there's 100's of kids asking about the Spider III and what not..

I should've added the smiley to begin with. I'd hoped the fact that I used punctuation would alert people to fact that I wasn't one of the n00bie crowd.

So, how about a Mark IV? Some people just love them, so I suggest you go and play one somewhere. I believe you can get one used for that price at least.

I'm a big fan of the Mark IV, but I'm not sure how well it holds up at lower volumes. Can anyone comment on this?

My location prohibits me from trying out anything but a few Rectifiers (I despise Rectifiers), so I'm forced to rely on sound clips and reviews.
I believe it has some sort of a lower power-switch? That should help. And I've read many people saying that it sounds good turned down too. You might go ask Mesaboogie forums or something - although then again, they might be somewhat... biased. Is there a Mark IV thread on UG? That might be worth a try too.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I guess I'll add that I'm open to pre-amps as well, since I intend to rack mount most of my other equipment anyway.
at the lack of understanding the Spider III joke.

To whoever suggested Laney VCs and LCs, They are good amps but definitely not what the TS is looking for
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
at the lack of understanding the Spider III joke.

To whoever suggested Laney VCs and LCs, They are good amps but definitely not what the TS is looking for

To be fair, after dealing with the thousands of "I just bought a spider, is it good?" threads a day, I'd be a bit cynical as well.
check out some boutique stuff... im sure you could find some used bogner stuff within that price range...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
check out some boutique stuff... im sure you could find some used bogner stuff within that price range...

I'm seriously considering it. If I put off my other purchases, I can extend my budget into the realm of $4000 or so, which could potentially get me the Ecstasy I've been having erotic thoughts about. Bogner actually has a new amplifier coming out (the Alchemist) that is supposedly more budget oriented (meaning people will only have to take out a single mortgage to afford it). I'm really interested in hearing it.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I'm seriously considering it. If I put off my other purchases, I can extend my budget into the realm of $4000 or so, which could potentially get me the Ecstasy I've been having erotic thoughts about. Bogner actually has a new amplifier coming out (the Alchemist) that is supposedly more budget oriented (meaning people will only have to take out a single mortgage to afford it). I'm really interested in hearing it.

Damn, with a name like The Alchemist, who cares what it sounds like.

Man thats gotta be the coolest name of an amplifier yet.
peavey jsx? they have good cleans, though thats not too important to you and have a lot of gain. and the second link you posted is of the mini jsx, butim not sure how similar they are to the regular jsx's. i heard someone playing a jsx at a store once and i thought it was pretty awesome.
Quote by mrchow
peavey jsx? they have good cleans, though thats not too important to you and have a lot of gain. and the second link you posted is of the mini jsx, butim not sure how similar they are to the regular jsx's. i heard someone playing a jsx at a store once and i thought it was pretty awesome.

I'm a huge fan of the JSX, and it's one of the amps I've been considering. The problem is the total lack of Peavey dealers in my area, and my reliance on the bus for transport.
I'd also recommend the JSX. Sounds perfect for what you are looking for. Also check out the Framus Dragon, and Laney GH series, Mesa Mark II and Mark IV. There are also many boutique makers that you should look into. Splawn amps would get that 80s metal gain, but also has that tone so I don't know if that's exactly what you are looking for.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I would say a Mark IV combo. It does everything and then some. And, it isn't muddy and loose like a rectifier. Or if you really want a killer lead tone, a Soldano SLO will get you there.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Alchemist sounds pretty cool, but it's going to be interesting what happens with it. It's the first amp contracted with Line6 to build completely, and still keep only the Bogner badging. It's produced in China, so the cost is much less. Rumor is around the 1k range. It will be interesting to see how it turns out though, could be a great deal for people if it's reliable and sounds good, or a bad move for Bogner. The Uber, XTC, and Shiva are going to still be made by Bogner, but they will be under the Bogner Custom Shop line.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
Alchemist sounds pretty cool, but it's going to be interesting what happens with it. It's the first amp contracted with Line6 to build completely, and still keep only the Bogner badging. It's produced in China, so the cost is much less. Rumor is around the 1k range. It will be interesting to see how it turns out though, could be a great deal for people if it's reliable and sounds good, or a bad move for Bogner. The Uber, XTC, and Shiva are going to still be made by Bogner, but they will be under the Bogner Custom Shop line.

I've heard some bad things about the Alchemist. I'm just hoping that it will boost Bogner's revenue enough that they'll lower the price on the Ecstasy I can afford one now, but I'd have to sacrifice the other gear I plan on adding to my collection. I am but a man...I can't be expected to make these decisions.
A ridiculous number of effects? With a high level of processing, tube tone probably isn't your concern. To avoid a lot of headaches I'd recommend the Vetta 2.
Quote by papersun87
The Mark IV has a 15-watt switch, so low volumes should be fine. Also, the Kustom Double Cross is shipping this month; if a store near you gets one in you should look at it.

Well, it's not a switch that makes it just go to 15 watts. There are a few switches that each change how much power is being used.

TS - The Mark IV is more than decent at low volumes. As it gets louder it gets better, at least from my experience :P The gain on the lead channel is insane, but very controllable. There is very little distortion with the gain on 10 and the drive on 4 and lower, so that gain isn't out of control.
Quote by Moe.

I missed the joke too..and I agree..there's always a kid here talking about spider III or mg's or whatever saying they rock
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by Pooinsky
Damn, with a name like The Alchemist, who cares what it sounds like.

Man thats gotta be the coolest name of an amplifier yet.

no way man, the Marshall MG is br00t4lz 2 d4 m4xxx

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
The JSX and Mark IV seem perfect for you.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by rhettro
A ridiculous number of effects? With a high level of processing, tube tone probably isn't your concern. To avoid a lot of headaches I'd recommend the Vetta 2.

Completely ridiculous. With anything of decent quality, the loss of tone is minimal to nonexistent.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
Check out the Crate Palomino V32. It'll get you a nice smooth overdrive and it has gret cleans too.

I don't think that's what he's looking for, though TS is free to correct me there. I'm not big on the sound of that amp either.
Not the Framus Dragon, that's a head not a combo. (TS said he's looking for a combo). Try the Ruby Riot or Ruby Riot II instead.
AC30?
Maybe a Mesa Express 5:50 combo, the 5-watt mode would be good for bedroom volumes. I've heard good things about it. There's also a 5:25 model.
The Mesa Boogie Stiletto ACE fits the bill as well.
The Mesa Boogie Stiletto ACE fits the bill as well.

The Stiletto Ace is actually one that I've been seriously considering. It's slightly more aggressive than I'd like, but it doesn't seem like anything that can't be fixed with a pickup change (I'm looking for excuses) and the proper EQ'ing.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I would say a Mark IV combo. It does everything and then some. And, it isn't muddy and loose like a rectifier. Or if you really want a killer lead tone, a Soldano SLO will get you there.

I was going to suggest a Mark IV possibly also, until I saw the possible budget expansion. The SLO is definitely NOT what the TS wants. I have an SLO, & it has no clean channel. You can fuss around with it to get cleans, but as I've said before, it's like buying a Ferrari to do your grocery shopping. It sounds just OK at low volume IMO, & I'd imagine the Soldano Decatone would have pretty decent cleans, but still sound like an SLO at low volumes (Kendall could tell you more about the Deca). In the $3000+ range, you can find a Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk2, or your dream Bogner. I heard an extensive demo of the H&K at NAMM 2 months ago, & it is BADASS.

To Moe: Sit up & pay attention, man. Archeo Avis knows plenty about amps, & is just looking for suggestions from people who've played high-end sh!t. Sheesh, yet again.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
The peavey jsx combo is really a darn nice amp. Everytone you need is there and 3 channels to boot. Try one I think you might like it.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Last edited by modernp at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
Completely ridiculous. With anything of decent quality, the loss of tone is minimal to nonexistent.

Well I'm just saying. If you tend to run a lot of effects, the Vetta will sound great and support them natively, be easy to set up take down, have enough volume for gigging, sound great at low volume and be a great recording amp. In my opinion, it would probably sound better than a tube with a long effects chain.
Page 1 of 2