right, iv been playing nearly four years now and can play to a reasonable standard.
thing is a few months ago i realized i new jack sh*t theory.
when i jam with people i can play rythem or lead easily enough and always seem to find a few notes that fit over whatever chords people are playing but this is just by instinct and practice.
the trouble is i dont know what keys are? when some thing is in a key of D what actually does this mean.
there are lots of lessons on here saying this is in such and such a key but none that actually explain what a key is and how you find out what keys songs are in. or how you know what notes work in what key.
if any one could explain i would appriciate it cheers
oh boy. gettin into the meat and patatoes of basic theory are we? well there are places where you can find pretty top notch explanation online, i suggest looking for those, but i can give you something brief and simple. every song or piece of music is based on a set of notes called a scale. if you don't know what a scale is, it is a set of 8 notes (the first and the last being the same one, but different octaves). there are all kinds of different sorts of scales, so that in itself is another lesson and question. but anyways, songs are based on said scales. the scales begin on a note (for example, C) and end on the same note once octave up. the key of the song is the note of the scale that the song is based on. so if a song is based on the C major scale, it is said to be in the key of C major. so there you have it. (the distance between each note of the scale, or the intervals, determine weather it is a major or minor, etc. etc.) hope i helped.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
yeah cheers dude thats helped a lot actually.
thats everything i wanted to know all the lessons about theory and stuff on here make a bit more sense now. cheers
the D maj scale is D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D. to figure out a major scale, pick the starting note and then progress in the pattern of whole step-whole step-half step-whole step-whole step-whole step-half step. Keys are useful when building riffs and chord progressions because you know what notes will sound good together. For instance, if you take the 4th and 5th note of a scale (so G and A in the D maj scale) those are the notes that sound most natural when played in a progression, hence the 3 chord rock progression. Usually the first chord makes up what key the piece is in but its not always true.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150