ive been blaying about 2 and a half years now, and im alright i guess, but ive recently ralised ive been using the wrong technique when it comes to playing solos and the like. ive been using my elbow to do tremolo picking and scales, but now that ive read that you use your wrist, im trying to do that, thus knocking down my picking speed from around 250bpm to something like 130bpm. aside from the obvious practice more to get back up to speed is there anything else i can do to improve and how long do you reckon itll take to get used to using my wrist.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Practice. Also, are you talking about 250bpm at whole notes? because 250bpm at triplets and above would be insane.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
250bpm with 16th notes

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
The idea of playing things "Correctly" on a guitar is a very tough subject. Even though everyone may play it a certain way, it is also nice to have your own way of playing. If it gets to the point where you prefer your original way of playing, you should return to that style. In fact, Some people will always play better if they use unconventional techniques, rather than trying to play "correctly".

I realize that I didn't really help with you getting back up to speed, but I really believe that the idea of being correct all depends on who you are.

P.S. I am not saying to rebel simply to rebel, only that the individuality makes the player.
yeah, i understand you there, i thought about continuing to play how i normally do, but the fact that i havnt really progressed in my playing for a while made me think that i should try playing another way.

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
250bpm with 16th's is pretty damn good really, speed-wise that would do you fine for a very, very long time.
tremolo picking is "correct" when you do it with the wrist because you will find that your stamina will be way higher than using your whole arm, and i think it looks cooler to be going so fast but hardly moving at all if you get my drift.
yeah, ive noticed that when i play standing up with songs that have long tremolo picked parts, my arm starts to ache quite a bit.

EDIT: ill just clarify that i can tremolo pick at 250, but shred at about 210 if i push my self.

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by samlocke14
tremolo picking is "correct" when you do it with the wrist because you will find that your stamina will be way higher than using your whole arm, and i think it looks cooler to be going so fast but hardly moving at all if you get my drift.

+1
i just realised i've been doing it wrong as well
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Quote by dan ramP
yeah, ive noticed that when i play standing up with songs that have long tremolo picked parts, my arm starts to ache quite a bit.

EDIT: ill just clarify that i can tremolo pick at 250, but shred at about 210 if i push my self.

what do you mean "shred"...shredding isn't a technique, it's a style.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
play as fast as you can for as long as you can. then rest. then do it again
to steven, i meant playing scales

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
just ask yourself how practical the skill you're focussing on actually is -if you practice running up and down scales then you'll get good at running up and down scales. It's a good warm up and also a good picking exercise but that's as useful as it gets, it's not going to actually help your overall playing ability all that much.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The concept is to minimize the tension and reduce the effort you are exerting while playing so you can go for longer and longer.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
2 and a half years and you can shred at 210 bpm?

*Bows to the inhuman prodigy*

Off topic: I just watched August Rush last night. Is it even possible to play like that kid did the first time you pick up an instrument? O.o
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

thanks for the compliment but dont give me that much credit lol, there are only a few songs that i can play that fast and theyre not really difficult, i gotta long way to go before im a prodigy

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Who cares how you play? PLay how you feel comfortable
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
Do what you're more comfortable with.
I have a habit where when I do bends, I bend the string down towards the floor instead of bending up towards the ceiling. But, I do it because i'm comfortable with it and I play better doing it like that. My friends think it's like the stupidest thing ever that I do that, but they go off and buy MG stacks.
Do what you want to, and develop what techniques work for you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i bend towards the floor too! cheers for all the points everyone

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
^Rly? My friend's think i'm just the biggest idiot that I do that.
But, I have the most accurate bends out of anyone I know.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by sg-rocker173

Off topic: I just watched August Rush last night. Is it even possible to play like that kid did the first time you pick up an instrument? O.o

I was thinking the same thing. To be honest, I don't really think so. The storyline had holes and kind of left things like that unexplained. How would he have known what tuning the guitar was in, and where all the harmonics were? I guess it helped that he had perfect pitch and naturally understood music theory so well, but I dunno dude. That's kind of unrealistic.
i thought you bent up only on the bottom string, cos obviously you go off the fretboard, but on other strings its easier to bend down for me.

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer