Hey guys

So yea, I only just realised how extremely heavy my Les Pauls (gibo standard + epi custom) were after trying a mates american fender strat the other day. Ever since I've been thinking about getting a lighter guitar, maybe a fender telecaster? My band plays predominantly rock with a hint of punk to our riffs (think ramones + rage agaisnt the machine + early GNR days). Anyway, just so I don't go trying out all the good looking guitars in the shops, would anyone be able to point me to some guitars in the $1500USD range capable of producing some heavy (but not too heavy) sounds?

Cheers
SG. It was designed as the cooler looking, lighter les paul, but les paul didnt like it. so they call it Solid Guitar. SG

Keep your LP tone (SG might be a bit brighter) but get a lighter guitar. just watch out for the neck dive. not a problem if your careful, disastrous if you arent.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
gibson les paul studio... light and a very good guitar...
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
I have a custom guitar with an eric clapton strat body from the early 90's. a warmoth maple neck with maple fingerboard, a fishman piezo bridge, two dimarzio hot rails and my preamp is a full boss metalzone pedal built between the two pickups. Still ten times lighter than the les pauls and much better tone.
Rig:
'91 Eric Clapton strat w/ MT-2 preamp and piezo bridge system

Lotus '62 Strat replica
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Pearly Gates Pups
Epiphone Sheraton STOCK
Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

Epiphone EJ-200CE

Traynor YCV40T
Traynor HEAD
Quote by new_kirk_hammet

dude are you kidding the studio if anything is probably heavier than the standard, because they wanted to build something with good tone but not as expensive so they lost the binding and stuff and like the studio is called studio because it's meant for the studio sorta. Mabye a Mexican strat maybe that kinda suits your wants?
Quote by PandaFantastic

There you go.

i lol'd
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Maybe you could try a Fender Thinline '62 (something like that) which is semi hollow, or a Fender Aerodyne Strat? The one I tried in store was very nice, and I wanted one myself until I realized the price.
I'm seconding the SG. An SG is similar in tone to the Les Paul but weighs far less.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i agree with the SG.

or a thinline tele would be cool
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
GEt a fender HSS so u can have 1 humbucker on it so it will sound awesome for ur genre

if u want something lighter.. then buy one of the funny ones... ive seen one made from a petrol can
Quote by bizkitday4eva
I have a custom guitar with an eric clapton strat body from the early 90's. a warmoth maple neck with maple fingerboard, a fishman piezo bridge, two dimarzio hot rails and my preamp is a full boss metalzone pedal built between the two pickups. Still ten times lighter than the les pauls and much better tone.

so you're saying he should buy your guitar?

SG.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Gibson SG Standard.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
personally i just think the SG is a strat copy, and Les Paul thinks the same
tele thinline, jaguar HH, any fender(with a humbucker), there are alot of good guitars. but I think reverend guitars are really nice too. they even have videos on the website of each guitar being played. saw some of those and thought WOW want. theyre also pretty light looking, so check them out
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Get a Fender Jaguar, Mustang, or find a deal on a Jagstang.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Try this guitar out a local store if possible; it was very good when I played on it and it could give you the sound your looking for and it is very light as well, but you do not lose any thick sound at all!

PRS SE Custom
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Quote by skvvisgaar
personally i just think the SG is a strat copy, and Les Paul thinks the same

Umm...how?

I also agree with getting an SG, I used a LP and was amazed at how much heavier it was.
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Quote by new_kirk_hammet

... there might be some chambered ones I havent tried but the LP studio I tried was super duper heavy. My LP standard faded is chambered so its not too heavy.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Washburn N4
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
Steinbergers are probably the lightest full scale guitars ever made, except maybe a parker.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master