Does Yngwie use just his hand for vibrato, or does he use his arm too? Because I just listened to "Far Beyond The Sun" and thought "Wow! That vibrato is eargasmic!"

Also, how should his name be pronounced?
its a combination of scalloped frets and lower tuning and really thin strings- he just moves his hand a lot
and his name should be pronounced ing-vay malmsteen
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
i think he just uses his wrist, not certain on that though

as for his name its pronounced ingvay
Ing-vay Malmsteen.

And he has a scalloped fretboard (google scalloped fretboards), which allows for wider vibrato as he does standard vibrato while varying fretting pressure.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Scalloped fretboard eh? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a scalloped fretboard? I think I wanna try one out at the shop or something...
Quote by leephan
Scalloped fretboard eh? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a scalloped fretboard? I think I wanna try one out at the shop or something...

Advantage: increased potential for vibrato and bend variety.

Disadvantage: some people find it requires a more delicate touch in order to sound in tune.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Advantage: increased potential for vibrato and bend variety.

Disadvantage: some people find it requires a more delicate touch in order to sound in tune.

I've been down that road before, and its not so bad.

Well thanks for the help everybody!
Last edited by leephan at Mar 29, 2008,
Just his hand, I'm quite sure.

Scalloped frets also make it easier for guys like him (and myself) with bigger fingertips to grab the string.. it's similar to getting extra large frets without the associated issues with intonation (occasionally)