My fish are dying! I don't know what's wrong so if anyone here has experience with small tanks and aquariums maybe you could tell me what's wrong.

I have a 28L tank purchased from a local pet shop, it came with a filter, some gravel, and instructions. I set it all up, added some extra gravel and a heater, added water and conditioner, then let it run for a week.

I then bought 3 Platies and some kind of albino sucker fish, but the Platies picked on the sucker fish and killed it before turning on each other. I did a bit of research and bought 3 more Platies, so they'd stop killing each other. I had four females and two males.

Then one died, but the rest lived happily for a few more weeks. I gave the tank a complete clean and added fresh water and conditioner. A while ago I added this small stone bridge ornament kind of thing from Big W, and a little more conditioner in case it had any bad chemicals on it, but I rinsed it first.

Now one of my Platies is dead, and another looks really sick. The other three appear to be fine though but I don't know what's going on. I lowered the temperature on my heater from around 27oC to 24oC, because I thought it was too hot.

I do have a live plant in there but it looks pretty gross, it's probably dying as well. What can I do to improve the environment? Would adding a light help? My fish just don't seem to be as lively as they should be.

Should I buy some more Platies, some more sucker fish and perhaps a small school of Tetras? And, are snails normal? I never bought any, so I'm guessing they came with the plant. There are dozens of them.

Help please
A U S S I E
I'm sorry dude I don't know anything bout fishes. I will ask anyone bout this i hope that we could help you with your fish dude, i have a goldfish and it died after two days i always feed it on time????....
I don't know much about fish, but when I had goldfish, they died because I was feeding them too much. They only need a tiny bit of food to survive.
If that's not the problem then sorry, I can't help you.
Okay well maybe I should cut back on how much I give them, there is lots of grimy stuff on the bottom of the tank, like sludge. I think it might be excess food :S

Quote by str84ever
Are you sure they are fresh water fish?

Yes, Platies are tropical fresh water fish.
A U S S I E
1. clean the tank out, one of the fish couldve been sick and its still in the water. (scrub with soap)
2. search up on the fish to see how hot or cold the water needs to be.
3. Add a light (fish go crazy without sense of day and night)
4. Change the food

hope this helps
Quote by gtr_101
1. clean the tank out, one of the fish couldve been sick and its still in the water. (scrub with soap)
2. search up on the fish to see how hot or cold the water needs to be.
3. Add a light (fish go crazy without sense of day and night)
4. Change the food

hope this helps

Okay, I will do that. I don't know when I can get a light though, I'm broke, but I'll clean the tank out tomorrow, even though I did it just recently.

And my filter started making a weird rattling noise about 5 minutes ago Maybe one of the snails got sucked up and is caught in the fan
A U S S I E
It was Troy McLure.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Jcore44
My fish are dying! I don't know what's wrong so if anyone here has experience with small tanks and aquariums maybe you could tell me what's wrong.

I have a 28L tank purchased from a local pet shop, it came with a filter, some gravel, and instructions. I set it all up, added some extra gravel and a heater, added water and conditioner, then let it run for a week.

I then bought 3 Platies and some kind of albino sucker fish, but the Platies picked on the sucker fish and killed it before turning on each other. I did a bit of research and bought 3 more Platies, so they'd stop killing each other. I had four females and two males.

Then one died, but the rest lived happily for a few more weeks. I gave the tank a complete clean and added fresh water and conditioner. A while ago I added this small stone bridge ornament kind of thing from Big W, and a little more conditioner in case it had any bad chemicals on it, but I rinsed it first.

Now one of my Platies is dead, and another looks really sick. The other three appear to be fine though but I don't know what's going on. I lowered the temperature on my heater from around 27oC to 24oC, because I thought it was too hot.

I do have a live plant in there but it looks pretty gross, it's probably dying as well. What can I do to improve the environment? Would adding a light help? My fish just don't seem to be as lively as they should be.

Should I buy some more Platies, some more sucker fish and perhaps a small school of Tetras? And, are snails normal? I never bought any, so I'm guessing they came with the plant. There are dozens of them.

Help please

The ideal temperature for tropical freshwater fish is between 20 - 25oC. Obviously some fish may like it a little bit more of less but this is the standard temperature.

You need to have a light in there, The Fish and the plants will benefit greatly and then you can also see the fish too!

I suggest you buy a water testing kit a proper set can cost a bit of money but they last for ages so it's worth it.

I agree with buying a small school of neon tetras, This is what i did first with my freshwater tank. I've had many platies in the past and i've never heard of them being so violent, If they tried to pick on my plecostomus (sucker fish) then they would of probably been completely destroyed by it!

Snails are normal to have in an aquarium and most likely came with the plant. I suggest once you get the tank stable then invest in some Clown Loaches, These fish love to eat the snails... and it's fun to watch in some sick and twisted way

I hope i can be of some help!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by conorstuff
I don't know much about fish, but when I had goldfish, they died because I was feeding them too much. They only need a tiny bit of food to survive.
If that's not the problem then sorry, I can't help you.

Please say they you didn't flush them when they started floating to the top.
They're not dead they're just bloated =/
Some fish are harder to keep than others. If you Platies are eating everything.. I would suggest not buying more. Though as far as I know they're supposed to be quite hardy.
When you say the fish looks sick, what do you mean?
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Go down to the pet store and ask them for fish that are very hardy. Guppies tend to be easy to maintain and breed like crazy.