Hi guys, im going to be quite honest, my rhythm skills suck ass, and I am desperately trying to improve. My brother used to take the piss out of me, saying my rhythm sucks, and to be honest, he's right. I tried singing along whilst playing, and my rhythm just DIES. Im a good lead guitarist, I mean I can do solo's no problem, just rhythm really sucks ass for me.

Did anyone else have this problem, if so how did they overcome the rhythm problem.
How did you learn to play lead well while sucking at rhythm?

Just get the metronome out and practice.
Hey were the same every time I hear rythm guitar playings i wan't to do it, but i succk in doing rythm's, my classmates tell that to me but they call me slash for my playing skills on leading/soloing.
its hard to believe either of you can play decent lead if yo uhave no rhythm, unless its mindless metal-fag shredding.

do it the same way everyone else does, get a metronome and learn some chords.
Quote by CrazyDavey
How did you learn to play lead well while sucking at rhythm?

Just get the metronome out and practice.

I don't actually know, I mean when I hear another rhythm player, I can keep in time with them, but when it comes to strumming, it's like crap?!
sometimes you forgot to look back from the place where you came from. It's the saame as playing the guitar when you dream of being a lead guitarist you will start on playing rythm's but when your a professional one you will search for songs with lead's or solo's that fits you and study it that's when you start's sucking on rythm's ( maybe it happen's to us but to you we don't know)
mewtons way of typing reminds me of the guitarist from deathklok.

doesn't matter how it happened, you are nothing without rhythm, unless you are in a band where all you play are leads, in which case, good luck getting anywhere. you should get very good at rhythm before you play another solo, ever.

Edit : I didn't study in a music school, but i studied music in school. im also a guitar teacher. i would never let one of my students play a solo in my class unless they could play the rhythm to the solo flawlessly.
Ok, im going to get a metronome, and just practise the feck out of it, trying different chords, because I really want to improve my rhythm. I also find it hard, to figure out Strum Patterns of songs..
My rythm skills are not that good because since i learn how to play guitar i always look for songs that have solo's and most of the time i play solo's/lead's than rythm.
I mean I can play rhythm, but like, i'll mess up somewhere with the Strum Pattern, and it's like, oh FFS! But I guess it is a practise thing..
Ahh cool man, I know this sounds stupid, but do you think people have natural rhythm, and others don't (eg me)..
your a music teacher then you started when your old (sorry for the word old but i think your older than me)i'm just 13 i started at 12 i'm 1st year hs i started at gr.6
I recommend you use a metronome and try playing Metallica, Megadeth and Iced Earth rhythm pieces, they should definitely help you out. Hetfield, Schaffer and Mustaine are literally the best rhythm guitarists IMO.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
rhythm, through experience with other players and students, comes natural, but is easily learned. there are some that are just lost-causes, but if you were a lost cause, you would have no rhythm when it came to lead guitar or anything. metronome is all you need, just isolate yourself for 3 or 4 hours a day, assuming you are actually serious about learning it
Ok thanks dude, I shall do!

And by the way, are you like rich or something?! I check your Myspace, and you have like the most expensive stuff i've seen phaha!
hell no im not rich. i make all my money through guitar repair, which is big bucks, especially at 18 years old. 20 dollars an hour plus 70/30 on repairs, when you do refrets 3 or 4 times a week at 250-400 dollars each, you do pretty well.
There is no way you are good at lead if you suck at rhythm.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
I don't suck at Rhythm, sometimes I mess up, but mainly with the strum pattern, I mean I can count the 4 beat, and hold that tight, but like the strum pattern is my main fudge up!
Quote by LP Addict
mewtons way of typing reminds me of the guitarist from deathklok.

doesn't matter how it happened, you are nothing without rhythm, unless you are in a band where all you play are leads, in which case, good luck getting anywhere. you should get very good at rhythm before you play another solo, ever.

Edit : I didn't study in a music school, but i studied music in school. im also a guitar teacher. i would never let one of my students play a solo in my class unless they could play the rhythm to the solo flawlessly.

Yeah, definitely.

"Go and wash the shames off your body!"
Try to solo over some latin background. And then change back and forth between soloing and rhythm.
Quote by Stratopower
I don't suck at Rhythm, sometimes I mess up, but mainly with the strum pattern, I mean I can count the 4 beat, and hold that tight, but like the strum pattern is my main fudge up!

do you know how to count 8th and triplets? that may be your problem, your trying stuff outside of quarter nots and your not hitting evenly in between the quarter notes

remember: 8th note count - 1 and 2 and 3 and 4
16th note count - a e and uh 2 e and uh 3 e and uh 4 e and uh
Triplet count - 1 e uh 2 e uh 3 e uh 4 e uh

also, you may just need to practice keeping rhythem without someone else to refer too, try this: play one of the harder solos you know WITHOUT anything to refer to, just the solo, see if you can stay in time, if you cant, i have no idea whats wrong with you, maybe you just get bored with the slower playing and you inadvertantly wanna speed it up
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.