i need help. I want to play faster. My picking hand is quite fast and my first three fingers are also up to speed. But when i try to use my pinky, it slows everything down. How do i keep my pinky near the fretboard instead of 3 inches off or even under it?
My best advice is try and use your pinky a lot in songs you can already play, even when you normally wouldn't use it I guess.

Practice practice practice
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
Try doing some chromatic scales up and down the fretboard or just work on bending strings with your pinky to build up a little bit of strength. You just have to get used to using all four fingers instead of just three.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
start playing songs using your pinky in place of your ring finger. Really there's no effective shortcut that can circumvent lots of practice.
Chromatic scales and scales that span five frets. Those are great practices.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by Dog454
Try doing some chromatic scales up and down the fretboard or just work on bending strings with your pinky to build up a little bit of strength. You just have to get used to using all four fingers instead of just three.

+1. Breaking any bad habits now is easier than trying to break them later. If you feel the need to leave your pinky behind, it will slow down your playing later. You will find you need your pinky to have some strength for hammer-ons and pull-offs .

Chris