i've been playing for just over 1 and a half years. i've barely learnt any solos and i've only just started looking at them. i'm learning the fade to black and sanitarium ones but i'm really struggling on the fast sections in each of them. how can i improve my speed/accuracy.
Just play. Start with something you can play perfectly once you learn it.

(You Shook Me All Night Long is a nice beginner solo).
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Start really slowly, with a metronome, and only increase the tempo when you can play it perfectly at the slower speed.
Metallica's not a great place to start when you're getting comfortable playing solos. They're not overly difficult, but it's better to start with easier stuff. Like it's been said, AC/DC has some reasonably easy solos that are good to be comfortable with, so does Led Zeppelin, and a lot of your standard classic rock bands. Are you familiar with any scales? If not, you should definitely at least learn the pentatonic and major scales.
^+1. Also if you cant do something fast just learn it slow and make it sound good, as oppose to forcing it to be fast and as a result it doesnt even sound like the song.
Quote by electricinferno
i've been playing for just over 1 and a half years. i've barely learnt any solos and i've only just started looking at them. i'm learning the fade to black and sanitarium ones but i'm really struggling on the fast sections in each of them. how can i improve my speed/accuracy.

Don't waste your time learn a few of them every now and then to get some new licks but really you need to learn to improvise......