Page 1 of 4
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03/anti-emo-riots.html

Riot police have taken to the streets of several cities in Mexico to ... defend emo kids?

A series of attacks on dyed-hair, eye-makeup-wearing emo kids began in early March when several hundred people went on an emo-beating rampage in Querétaro, a town of 1.5 million about 160 miles north of Mexico City.

The next week, shaggy-haired emo teenagers were harassed again by punks and rockabillys in the capital, prompting police protection and a segment on the TV news. Most recently, a Mexican newspaper reported that metal heads and gangsters have warned Tijuana's emo kids to stay away from the town's fair next month.

But the so-called emos are organizing, too. Last week, they demonstrated against the violence, pictured above, and Wednesday some met with police in Mexico City.

"They're organizing to defend their right to be emo," wrote Daniel Hernandez of LA Weekly on his personal blog, which has provided stellar coverage of the whole affair.

Music-based subcultures have permeated Mexico's major cities for decades, fueled by constant migration from rural cities. But only in the past year have emos begun to make their presence felt in the streets. In response, many of the established so-called tribus urbanas like punks and metalheads are responding with violence. The emo-punk battles are reminiscent of earlier subculture fights among various factions, like the Hell's Angels fighting hippies at the Altamont Music Festival or the Mods taking on the Rockers.

But while videos of Mexican teenagers with pompadours advancing on equally baby-faced emo rockers seem like scenes from a south-of-the-border version of John Waters' Crybaby, there are ugly undercurrents to the story.

First, by some accounts, the emo subculture is identified with homosexuality in Mexico. As Mexico City youth worker Victor Mendoza told Time.com: "At the core of this is the homophobic issue. The other arguments are just window dressing for that."

Gustavo Arellano, the author of Ask a Mexican and an editor at OC Weekly, said that the sexual ambiguities cultivated by emo fashion helped set the group up for targeting by more macho groups.

"What do you do when you are confronted with a question mark about sexuality in Mexico?" Arellano said. "You beat it up."

Forum posts show similar sentiments. One person wrote on a government youth-website forum, "detesto a los emosexuales," which translates as "I hate emosexuals." Emosexual is an obvious play on homosexual, especially in Spanish, where the H is silent.

Many of the attacks have been planned, or at least fomented, on violently anti-emo websites like Movimiento Anti Emosexual, which features videos of physical violence sprinkled liberally with anti-gay sentiment. Last.fm's Anti Emo Death Squad group has almost 4,000 members.

But Arellano said he thought the riots could have a positive impact here in the US.

"It's a great cluster**** for the American mind's idea of Mexico," Arellano said. "This teaches the rest of the world that Mexico is not just a bunch of cactuses and sombreros."

Photo: Mexican emo kids gather in response to anti-emo violence by metalheads and punk rockers.

Credit: promrguez

[Via Daily Swarm]
Quote by thewho65
What if I want my c*ck to smell like an egg roll?

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Why don't they just you know not dress emo?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
They got mexicowned.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by rasveer
saw a thread about this yesterday

Link or STFU.
Quote by thewho65

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
haha, sometimes i'm proud to be mexican, other times...not so much...this is definitely one of those times where i'm proud though haha
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
i saw this a while ago on 4chan =P
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Did anybody else laugh uncontrollably when it said this 'They're organizing to defend their right to be emo'?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it's right to beat emo kids up, I just found that line of text funny.
no waaay

When i saw the thread title i thought....O DEAR!! guna get closed

Then i hoverd and saw links and thought....PRON!! Look before it gets closed.. *clicky clicky*
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
having a fight over whether being emo is wrong or not isn't going to make white people think any better of mexicans...
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I find it really funny that the metalheads bet them up, and they respond with a parade.

It's like something out of South Park; so stereotypical.
Quote by Kensai
They got mexicowned.

I expected a better pun from UG's most popular member
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Renka
I find it really funny that the metalheads bet them up, and they respond with a parade.

It's almost like gay rights. The term 'emosexual' is quite clever, too.
Quote by Carswell98
I expected a better pun from UG's most popular member

I thought it was hilarious
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I thought it was hilarious

but you get an A for effort if its any consolation
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
LOL!

down with chavs.

Yeah. Chavs would actually deserve it.

I mean, emos seem over the top to me, with their faggotry (haha j/k) and strange hair, but Jesus, mass beatings? No, that's not right.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.

That fat kid's face on the center right

But on a more serious note. Just imagine. A tank. Just one tank. Or hand grenade....
Not that I have anything against emo's particularely. Just don't like the look on their faces.
wait a ****ing minute.... There are emos in Mexico?
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by EmancipatedSoul

That fat kid's face on the center right

But on a more serious note. Just imagine. A tank. Just one tank. Or hand grenade....
Not that I have anything against emo's particularely. Just don't like the look on their faces.

He actually looks like he might hurt someone. xD
Quote by thewho65

Quote by reaume140
Mexican Emo kids? ...Que?
that's the strangest thing i've ever heard.

Yep, Mexican emos.

Or "Meximos", if you will.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Yep, Mexican emos.

Or "Meximos", if you will.

Alright I have a name for a gas company.

But who cares what country their from? Emo's are emo's.

Plus what do you think the Japs(who started the trend) think when they see the white man copying their hairstyles just like the white man copied the black man?
Quote by Gemini
He actually looks like he might hurt someone. xD

anton chigurh anyone?
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by tayroar
Why don't they just you know not dress emo?

....Fail

Seriously, that is the most retarded response people make in these kind of threads....."Oh why don't they stop being themselves."
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
....Fail

Seriously, that is the most retarded response people make in these kind of threads....."Oh why don't they stop being themselves."

Don't get your panties in a bunch; everyone's joking around, you know that.

At least the Japanese are cute.
Thats some fucked up shit right there.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Page 1 of 4