Ijust thought I'd share a great experience I had today with you all. The other day on the bus home from work I passed a store called "Bass People". Obviously I was intrigued so today I went in and checked it out.

I dont know how things are overseas but here in Australia you are lucky if a music shop carries bass gear. There's usually a couple of Ibanez basses on the wall and a few amps and thats it. Even the store I regularly go to pretty lacking in Bass gear and supplies.

But not this place. It was like I'd stepped into a magical land of bass-related awesomeness. All they sell is bass gear. Amp brands I'd never heard of, a wall of bass effects, strings galore. Beautiful basses from smaller companies (Alembic for example, a brand I have never seen in a shop before). And to make it even better, the guys who work there were really friendly and helpful.

So, to make this into an actual thread, are there any bass-specific retailers near you, or just any stores that are great to buy bass gear from? Hopefully we can all help each other out with places to go to check out new gear.
There isn't a bass specific retailer around by me
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Such a magical place exists!!!
Nothin near me.......or in the whole country id say
i'd tap that .........speaking to a bass, its a music joke!

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Electro Harmonix Double muff
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Ernie Ball Strings are my preferance!
I'm only half an hour's train journey away from the one and only Bass Centre in London. There is also the Bass Cellar at Denmark Street.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
living in or near a major metropolitan city has it's advantages. the 4 GC's in my area, all have very nice Bass sections in the stores. my local shop also understands the importance of having a variety of good Bass equipment available. if you have found a local shop that carries the "cool" bass stuff, i say support it all you can, by purchases, and word of mouth, to everybody you know. GC's are great for shopping, but i prefer to purchase from my local music store. they tend to give much better service, and seem to be more personable, than the "chain" stores. good find!
Northern California is blessed with some amazing mom and pop music stores (my area alone has about 5 solid retailers), that carry a decent amount of bass gear and have knowledgeable staff. Union Grove in Santa Cruz has an equal ratio of bass to guitars, and great staff. There are also a tonne of local guitar builders, and San Luis Obispo, Ca, home of Ernie Ball is a mere half days drive from my house.

For bass only tho', the only place I know of is Bass and Beyond in Rancho Cordoba, CA (near Sacramento). I haven't been there yet, but I have had people speak of visiting there like it was a religious experience.
I've never been to an exclusively bass shop. Vibes in Plymouth, Sound Control in Southampton and Bristol, Hobgoblin in Bristol, Guitar Works in Reading and Duck's in Bath are shops I go to regularly that are decent enough for bass gear.
Anarkee, that's what this place was like today! I mean, they had SansAmp DIs and Skullbusters (Jerry Only's sig strings). Everything and anything you could want.

I will be supporting this place. I have abandoned the other regular store i used to go to because they had some rude staff and have yet to call me regarding an order I placed months ago.

Any Sydney bass players, "Bass People" is on Parramatta Rd in Stanmore, right near the Annandale Hotel. Go there. They rule.
Nope, none sucht things exist. All we have in Winnipeg are four chain stores: John's Music, Quest Musique, Long & McQuade and Mother's Music. Plus we have Encore Music but I don't count them as an actual store because they suck so hard. They carry exclusively epiphone basses. Although they have a Genz-Benz setup I want to try.

By the way, if anyone from Winnipeg is wondering Quest is the best. They farily recently just got in a huge supply of Spector, Mark Bass and Ashdown.
There's a store called Low Down Sound around me. Supposed to be pretty amazing, bass only store. Problem is I never have the time to check out or a lot of the time I'm just to lazy. Though the store is quite uberly expensive judging from its online markings.

Usually end up going to GC because it's closer, although the selection is pretty terrible at times.

- AboveTheBridge (ATB)
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by anarkee
Northern California is blessed with some amazing mom and pop music stores (my area alone has about 5 solid retailers), that carry a decent amount of bass gear and have knowledgeable staff. Union Grove in Santa Cruz has an equal ratio of bass to guitars, and great staff. There are also a tonne of local guitar builders, and San Luis Obispo, Ca, home of Ernie Ball is a mere half days drive from my house.

For bass only tho', the only place I know of is Bass and Beyond in Rancho Cordoba, CA (near Sacramento). I haven't been there yet, but I have had people speak of visiting there like it was a religious experience.

Is there anywhere in the immediate Bay Area? I live in San Francisco and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to choose from.
Quote by aguacateojos
Is there anywhere in the immediate Bay Area? I live in San Francisco and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to choose from.

The issue I have with some of the SF shops, esp in the Haight district is that the rents drive up the prices. There's one on the Haight that's OK, but the service is crappy. (the name escapes me at the moment, but the prices on stuff was rather dire). Rockers on Howard is great; they are more guitar focused but have a solid collection of basses, including G & L and a few PRS offers (I didn't even know PRS made basses, btw until I saw one there).

My advice is to head down to Redwood City and go to Gelb Music on El Camino Real, http://www.gelbmusic.com/bass.htm. This place is amazing for any musician and the folks there are really friendly and extremely knowledgeable. What I liked is that they gave you the same level of service whether you were a total beginner or a "seasoned" pro.
Quote by anarkee
the name escapes me at the moment, but the prices on stuff was rather dire

That would be Haight Ashbury Music, where I bought my Spector Legend. Yes, the staff is pretty lame. The first time I tried it out they asked me if I needed any more help every three minutes. Eventually they realized that the sale would be made if I could just play it. Wonderful bass, not so great store.

There's a little holeinthewall store close to Rockers that has a lot of beautiful, vintage gear. Not much in the way of basses but a decent amount.

I'm headed out of here on Tuesday so I'll likely have to wait until May to head down to Redwood city, but thanks for the recommendation!
I was in SF recently and I went into a pawn shop that had no less than three of those wonderful(ly rare) Guild Pilot basses. I also went to a GC that had a decent selection, but no small brands like Alembic.

I have yet to find a good bass store in my area, and there's a drive of at least 30 minutes to any music store. There is a website called bestbassgear.com, though, that sells only bass-related gear from good companies, but it's all stuff you can find elsewhere, and the selection is small.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Guild Pilots were tagged at $600, which I think is $200-400 less than the going rate...

Another EDIT: $600 appears to be reasonable (not an amazingly good deal).
Last edited by the_woof at Mar 29, 2008,
theres a place called the bass player in the same vague area as me theres another place near me too ohh and theres eagle near me which is a dedicated (more or less) guitar and bass shop theres a whole wall of electric basses and a whole section of amps mostly guitars tho cuz everyones a glory seeker around here
I am me. Live with it.
I live in mind-numbingly boring Indiana USA. There's a music store about 20min from my house, but they've recently down-sized and became half music store, half tatoo shop. They didn't have much in the way of basses anyway. The closest GC to me is about a 45min trip away. So i'm kind of stranded when it comes to these kind of things. =(
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Nothing locally, but I think there are a few bass-exclusive stores within a couple of hours from me. I do plan on visiting them at some point.
None that I know of, here in Central New York. We have a few mom-and-pop style stores, but the ones I've been to have been crap for selection (3 or 4 basses, a few practice amps), and oddly all but one smelled like rotten macaroni and cheese. I have no idea why.

The Guitar Center near-by, though, is actually really good. If they didn't have a bass from their site on the shelves, they had at least a couple in back, and I found two people who knew what they were talking about.

And not to threadjack, but has this happened to anyone else? A guy helped me find one, then disappeared for literally a half hour (not even the other co-workers knew where he was or could contact him), so I got the bass with another guy. A few days later when I had a nerfed cable, I stopped in, and wanted to test my bass (the one he had picked out) in an amp to see if it was the bass or cable, and he got pissy and started yelling at me. All I can figure is that they're on commission, and he lost a big one. Similar experiences, anyone?
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by indie-bassist
I'm only half an hour's train journey away from the one and only Bass Centre in London. There is also the Bass Cellar at Denmark Street.

Would like to point out that the Bass Centre closed last Christmas, it now only runs as a warehouse kinda thing through the net.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Would like to point out that the Bass Centre closed last Christmas, it now only runs as a warehouse kinda thing through the net.

I'm pretty sure it still exists, unless I'm missing something:
Quote by Bass Centre Website
The store, including our in-house workshop, now occupies dedicated, air conditioned premises on the edge of the 'square mile' in the city, minutes from Liverpool St. tube and mainline station, with free parking on Saturdays right outside.

The website's recently been updated too so I'm guessing it's not wrong, plus my teacher said he was in there the other day.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist

As said before, the Bass Centre is now an internet store. Also, the Bass Cellar isn't at all customer friendly (and it isn't just me. Just about everyone I speak to agrees).

My money gets spent at the Bass Gallery in Camden, London. Fantastic customer service, and they don't mess you about or try to belittle you. www.thebassgallery.com
Bass Central... it was a religous experience with the lights and the choir it was like walking into bass heaven
nothin around here. and the the people at the local shops don't tend to be much help around here either. ex: one guy told me i could plug two 4 ohm cabs into a head rated at 4 ohms because it had two speaker jacks on the back....run in parallel. I did look that model up to make sure he was wrong, and he was. i think he just wanted to sell me the ampeg cabs because they were more expensive. and since htere's a no cash return policy he comes out ahead either way.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
The only one I know of is a couple of states away from me. The Atlanta Bass Gallery. It's right near Georgia Tech.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Bass Central in the Orlando area is an incredible store. Where else can you walk in and see 15 Alembic basses hanging on the wall?
Quote by indie-bassist

Bass Centre ftw
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS