I want to buy a mic to upload guitar tracks onto a program on my computer.
i have a 200$ limit, including the mic, cables, and program
i was thinking of just getting audacity but if theres a better program that wont put me over budget then im all for it.
Links would be helpful too.
member of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm silvertoness11 to join

Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
In the beginning there was nothing...

...which exploded.

UG MISSLE SILO!
For basic recording purposes, use audacity.
For your purpose I'd spring for a USB microphone. Those are usually about $100.
If you plan on getting a more formal setup later, then go for a mic that uses that male/female cables. I have a Q7 which cost me $110.
For simple demos, I just use the Q7 with male-to-1.4" phone jack cable with an adaptor. I just plug that into my computer's mic jack and record.
ive used sm57s before.
they worked pretty decently, but it wasnt a great place to record.
do you think it'd work for recording stuff like grindcore or for recording screams

Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

...which exploded.

UG MISSLE SILO!
If you aren't going to have a great preamp you might have better luck with something other than the Sm57. A low cost condenser could do the trick nicely, plus serve well for vocals and acoustic guitar etc.
If you don't have a recording interface, eg you're using your PC sound card, there's really not much use in spending much on a mic. An SM57, will probably sound crap through your pc line in or mic in, with an amp on the other end.

I would suggest looking for an interface first. You may be able to pic one up for about $100 and then grab an SM57. Any free program like Reaper or Audacity, or perhaps the interface will come with software as well.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
If you don't have a recording interface, eg you're using your PC sound card, there's really not much use in spending much on a mic. An SM57, will probably sound crap through your pc line in or mic in, with an amp on the other end.

I would suggest looking for an interface first. You may be able to pic one up for about $100 and then grab an SM57. Any free program like Reaper or Audacity, or perhaps the interface will come with software as well.

DS

I would second this advice. Before I learnt anything about recording, I tried a normal mic into a stock soundcard. Low volume, crap sound, high latency. You'll be far better with a cheap interface IMO.
There is poetry in despair.
I ended up with a sennheiser e609 silver
nice mic.
made for guitar amps.
decided guitar was more important to record than vocals

Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

...which exploded.

UG MISSLE SILO!
Well, Id have to admit - i have had much better results with an SM58 than an SM57. But i much prefer using two mics (a condenser along side a dynamic). You'll want to have a decent interface for that though. For that, you should go firewire. USB tends to suck the tone out of everything - not to mention blending everything down to one stereo track.

Anyway, if you look on the net there are loads of really helpful tips on recording guitar. SOS are pretty good, and there are a few cool tips in a sticky on this forum too.
^SM58 and 57 are really just the same mic. The 58 just has a built in wind shield and a more robust end to keep a vocalist at a good distance from the diaphragm. And I don't see how USB ruins your tone to be honest.
There is poetry in despair.
USB sucks your tone? Thats a new one. Before your audio ever sees USB in the process, it's been converted to digital information. It's all ones and zeros at that point. As far as your PC is concerned ones and zeros are just that regardless of the means of data transfer. Whether it's firewire, usb, a direct PCI connection, or even 3.5" floppy, your "tone" will stay in tact.

I can assure you all tone suckage occurs before the USB stage....
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
That's what i meant - the whole process of ATD. Not just the bit where it transfers it to the pc. Plus the fact it mixes everything down to one stereo track which also really sucks.
Will a SM57 make a decent amp come out better or worse in recordings? Also, is it hard to get a nice, full sound? I have a Randall RG75 that sounds pretty good(at least better than Line6 Spiders), and I also have a high end audio interface I bought for direct input software guitar recording. I'm not sure if i should buy a SM57 to mic my amp and see if I can get a better sound than Guitar Rig 3.
An SM57 is pretty good
Today i was micing up a marshall stack and i used a SM57 and a Rode NT1-A and for a guitar amp mic the Shure Sm57 had a better sound.

However Rode NT1-A's pawn at acoustic (love those mic's)

And to the earlier comment about SM58 > SM57's. There practically the same mic.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I use mixcraft 4 to record with...its pretty easy to use and only $65 to buy...they have a free trial as well.
http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/download.htm

I own m audio fast track interface however there are many interface to choose from to hook the guitar up to the computer.

My choice for mics are

Shure sm58
Shure sm57
Rode NT1A
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
The e609 (sennheiser) as stated above is a very nice guitar cab mic, but it's not as versatile as the 57.

The 57 and 58 use the same capsule, but the physical configuration of the barrel, in addition to the windscreen, result in a significantly different frequency plot. Kinda like saying that Fords and Mazdas are the same car, when in fact, they might only share the same chassis.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.