Page 1 of 2
When I was young, I got taught to spell English the British way, and I do to this day. However, I had learnt spoken English form cartoons like Bugs Bunny and stuff, so I speak with a kind of 60s American accent.

Anyway, my friends said that I was really inconsistent (e.g. I would spell Aluminium but say Aluminum, spell full stop but say period, etc) so I decided that I would learn to speak accordingly.

So what are some good ways to pick up a nice, non-exaggerated British accent? Any specific shows I could watch? Any tips for some spoken expressions used in the UK that I could use? I live in Canada, by the way.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
there's loads of different british accents, britain is three different countries

edit : i think you should pick up a slight geordie accent, listen to maximo park
When I was young, my family moved to London, where I began to learn english. So at first I spoke with a british accent. 2 years later, we left and went to Austria, where I went to an international school.

....I now have a heavy american accent. Most people think I'm from Canada.

The thing is, although I have an american accent, there are still some british features in my speech, probably due to watching british TV and learning from british textbooks and stuff.

Interesting fact: anyone who learns english outside of the Kingdom, New Zealand or Australia will end up with an American accent.
Quote by yeoman125
there's loads of different british accents, britain is three different countries

It's 4.... 4 countries...

Northern Ireland, Wales, England, and Scotland.
Stewie in Family Guy
Quote by Ziggums

Wales is a mere principality.
Quote by Ziggums

I really should know that, sloppiness on my behalf. I thought northern island was in the united kingdom and not Britain
just speak unaccented english. remove all the american bits, like those hideous r's and that high pitched emphasis. watch pretty much any british tv show, you'll hear all kinds of accents. for god's sake, don't pick up an annoying london or midlands one. they're hideous.

Quote by yeoman125
I really should know that, sloppiness on my behalf. I thought northern island was in the united kingdom and not Britain

britain = united kingdom.

wow.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by sashki
Interesting fact: anyone who learns english outside of the Kingdom, New Zealand or Australia will end up with an American accent.

Actually, I had a few friends who had developed a British accent in my old Romanian high-school. What you say is generally true, though.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by mulletman500
Wales is a mere principality.

Shut the **** up twat

Wales was around way way before england was
Quote by esther_mouse
just speak unaccented english. remove all the american bits, like those hideous r's and that high pitched emphasis. watch pretty much any british tv show, you'll hear all kinds of accents. for god's sake, don't pick up an annoying london or midlands one. they're hideous.

But how will I know which is which? I don't want to end up learning Cockney. Or do I? Got any specific characters from shows in mind?
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Reject_666_6
But how will I know which is which? I don't want to end up learning Cockney. Or do I? Got any specific characters from shows in mind?

eesh...not really. hm, don't learn from only fools and horses, don't learn from soap operas. watch the news, you'll see the difference between proper english (usually) from the newsreaders, and more regional stuff from the subjects.

just watch as much english tv as possible and choose the bits you like.

i can't really think of anything off the top of my head, i don't watch much tv, sorry
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
so wait, you are Canadian, and you are going to artificially speak in another dialect?

wow, why?, I mean what are you going to do, just walk into your kitchen one day and start speaking to your parents in a british accent?

don't you think that might come off a wee bit silly?

I've picked up phrases from people from other countries, but that is a step too far.

Quote by dartmaster

Shut the **** up twat

Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Why do you really care? Do you think putting on an accent will make people look at you differently?
Just don't even try.

England has a ton of different accents to say how small it is.

Just try ween yourself off the Americanism; speak with your native accent if you can.
Quote by dartmaster

Shut the **** up twat

Nobody went there though

I have a very f*cked up accent, although I was born and raised a brummie, I don't talk like one (thank god!) I've been told I have a slightly american-canadian-cockney-australian accent...weird...

And watch any british tv show, almost any of the new ones.
Quote by Carswell98
so wait, you are Canadian, and you are going to artificially speak in another dialect?

wow, why?, I mean what are you going to do, just walk into your kitchen one day and start speaking to your parents in a british accent?

don't you think that might come off a wee bit silly?

I've picked up phrases from people from other countries, but that is a step too far.

I speak Romanian at home, and mostly French to strangers.

Quote by smb
Why do you really care? Do you think putting on an accent will make people look at you differently?

I don't intend to completely forget my American ways. Who would want to forget to speak like Bugs Bunny?
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Reject_666_6
I speak Romanian at home, and mostly French to strangers.

Ok fair enough, so you are just straightening it out

understandable

if I were to adopt any accent from the UK it would be Stephen Fry-esque

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hkL8qgG_VPo
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Reject_666_6
When I was young, I got taught to spell English the British way, and I do to this day. However, I had learnt spoken English form cartoons like Bugs Bunny and stuff, so I speak with a kind of 60s American accent.

Anyway, my friends said that I was really inconsistent (e.g. I would spell Aluminium but say Aluminum, spell full stop but say period, etc) so I decided that I would learn to speak accordingly.

So what are some good ways to pick up a nice, non-exaggerated British accent? Any specific shows I could watch? Any tips for some spoken expressions used in the UK that I could use? I live in Canada, by the way.

Watch Authweirdesen Pet (or however the **** u spell it) and learn how to speek like a geordie!!! then nobody will like ya
Watch Doctor Who. Just don't listen to Donna or Rose. Or Christopher Eccleston if you watch the first (revived) series. Also, The Avengers if you can get your hands on it, best accents ever
Quote by Reject_666_6

Isn't it a bit too posh, though?

a little class never hurt anyone
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Speak like an Irishman. They kick arse.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
you can get books, they come with CDs usually, that will teach you how to speak with a number of different British accents, they are made for actors, so look for them in the theater section of the book store.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you can get books, they come with CDs usually, that will teach you how to speak with a number of different British accents, they are made for actors, so look for them in the theater section of the book store.

Americans will never know how to do a real British accent if it hit them in the face
Quote by Craigo
Americans will never know how to do a real British accent if it hit them in the face

I've seen plenty of actors pull it off, same with Americans who have lived in Britain for a long time.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Interesting. I might look into it.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Same with me.
I'm in the States, but I have kind of a half English accent (not sure which one really).
And there's a little canadian mixed in (i'm like 100 miles away from the canadian border).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by sashki
When I was young, my family moved to London, where I began to learn english. So at first I spoke with a british accent. 2 years later, we left and went to Austria, where I went to an international school.

....I now have a heavy american accent. Most people think I'm from Canada.

The thing is, although I have an american accent, there are still some british features in my speech, probably due to watching british TV and learning from british textbooks and stuff.

I have a fairly British accent and I learned English in Norway.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I've seen plenty of actors pull it off, same with Americans who have lived in Britain for a long time.

You're yank, you would never understand.

Some can, most can't.
Quote by Craigo
You're yank, you would never understand.

Some can, most can't.

having studied this sort of stuff, and having been to England quite a few times i think I do have somewhat of an understanding, but I do agree with you that a lot of people can't do it. I've heard some very bad attempts made of Brits trying to sound American too, it's usually quite hilarious.

Last.fm
Quote by yeoman125

You were right technically, Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. The U.K. is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Quote by Reject_666_6

Well get a Visa and live over here in Blighty, watch a whole load of British films and telly - without subtitles, I've heard many people on your side of the Pond need subs for our programmes.

I'm very British, but I almost slipped into similar habits when I was younger after watching too much US telly. At last you spell properly.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Well get a Visa and live over here in Blighty, watch a whole load of British films and telly - without subtitles, I've heard many people on your side of the Pond need subs for our programmes.

I'm very British, but I almost slipped into similar habits when I was younger after watching too much US telly. At last you spell properly.

Oh, don't think that I can't understand anything British. I get most accents from England pretty well. Scottish and Irish, almost as well. Welsh is my weak point, though.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

I haven't seen many, I hope to God you're not thinking of Dick Van Dyke and Renee Zellweger as examples.

There are more Brits who pull off Yank accents - Daniel Day Lewis, Tim Roth, Damien Lewis, Daniel Craig, even Bob Hope was born in London.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Vorbeste cum vrei si nu te mai uita la ce zic altii.

I'll translate that later...
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Reject_666_6
Oh, don't think that I can't understand anything British. I get most accents from England pretty well. Scottish and Irish, almost as well. Welsh is my weak point, though.

I'm English and can't understand Scottish or Irish. Or Welsh really.
Quote by Reject_666_6

You're missing much out then, it's only Welsh :p. Don't worry about my earlier terms, I've just heard about so many Americans complaining about their lack of understanding when it comes to accents in Long Good Friday, Get Carter, Lock Stock and Hot Fuzz.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by Mad Marius
Vorbeste cum vrei si nu te mai uita la ce zic altii.

I'll translate that later...

Nu-mi pasa de ce zic altii, doar mi-au adus aminte ca vroiam de mai demult sa vorbesc calumea ca in Anglia.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by freddaahh
I haven't seen many, I hope to God you're not thinking of Dick Van Dyke and Renee Zellweger as examples.

There are more Brits who pull off Yank accents - Daniel Day Lewis, Tim Roth, Damien Lewis, Daniel Craig, even Bob Hope was born in London.

No I wasn't thinking of either of those, they are pretty bad (and Madonnas is even worse, I hope she stopped talking like that) but I've met a lot of stage actors that can do it, but they usually train a lot harder for that sort of things than film actors do.

also it depends on what accent you're going for, in the US a souther accent is a lot harder to pull off than a Midwestern accent. and for the UK a received accent is easier to do than a cockney accent.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by esther_mouse

britain = united kingdom.

wow.

You dissing my Midlands accent?

In the more rural areas (ie where I live) the accent is pretty much neutral. It rocks.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Page 1 of 2