I own an Ibanez S 7string guitar(my ONLY electric at this moment)
I'm close to dropping $1350USD for a 2008 Ibanez S 6string guitar.
The differences would be neck, pickups, non-floyd floating tremolo, 24frets, and the prestige/J-craft tag.

My friends are saying "DON'T!!!!!" Their main argument being that I should buy something completely different from my regular axe(as in tonal versatility). Also that I should wait a year or two and save up for a PRS Custom 24.

Opinions plz.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
It's really subjective. Personally, I own 2 of the exact same guitars, other than the fact that each has a different bridge pickup. I play in a recording/gigging band, and I also use a Floyd Rose quite a bit, so I don't want to be fucked over mid-show with a snapped string. If you're after a guitar just to own a totally different one, then sure, buy a different one. But if you're after a backup, then go for what you want.
It is personal opinion on this. However, seriously try out that Paul Reed Smith. I hear they make kick ass guitars. Seriously consider it. Haha
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Quote by Funcoot
It is personal opinion on this. However, seriously try out that Paul Reed Smith. I hear they make kick ass guitars.
And even that is an understatement. Sometimes though, you want a new axe and you want it now.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
versatality isnt everything if u only play one genre mostly, i would just go with what u feel

the guitar isn't the same, and if it's extremely similar..at least u could mod the other one without having to worry about not having a similar axe to fall back on if it goes wrong
prs
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Go with the PRS
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
All these talking about versatility, every guitar is versatile.

Just because of a shape or brand, it doesn't mean it explodes trying to play something else.
A PRS is a bit pricey, and it'd take a LOT of saving up.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
All these talking about versatility, every guitar is versatile.

Just because of a shape or brand, it doesn't mean it explodes trying to play something else.
A PRS is a bit pricey, and it'd take a LOT of saving up.

It's not shape and brand, it's pickups and body wood. Ibanez's are not made for anything but metal and hard rock, and don't sound good without distortion. Even the single coil in my S470 sounds sterile on clean.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
It's not shape and brand, it's pickups and body wood. Ibanez's are not made for anything but metal and hard rock, and don't sound good without distortion. Even the single coil in my S470 sounds sterile on clean.

A few minor points:

-Ibanez make more guitars than the S and RG series

-I find that a completely stock Ibanez sounds fine on clean. It has much more to do with your amp than your guitar; of course it's still very much personal taste

-Many people use Ibanez guitars for other things than just metal and hard rock. Even someone like Paul Gilbert, who isn't shy to crank up the gain, occasionally (as in, during most of his solo albums) turns it down and uses a more blues/classic rock tone

As for the original question: if you like the 6 string Ibanez, why not?

I feel my 6 string RG is pretty different from my 7 string model, eventhough they're made of the same woods etc.

On top of that, if you like Ibanez-style necks, a PRS may not be what you're looking for.

I had the chance to play some, including the incredibly nice looking Swamp Ash Model, and I didn't like them that much.

Again, you might disagree with me, but keep in mind that just because they look awesome, doesn't mean that they will be the ideal guitar for you, too.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by stm22
go for a john petrucci music man model.
wow, I didn't even mention that in my post. Yes that guitar was perfect for me BUT - I didn't like the neck

And @ Bonsaischaap - no, I like the PRS wide-thin a lot. But man is it expensive. I too find the higher-end S capable of jazz clean which will be essential because of the ensemble work I'll be doing. I also have to buy a new amp because my all-out half-stack and rack setup is way too much for ensemble work.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by Bonsaischaap
A few minor points:

-Ibanez make more guitars than the S and RG series

-I find that a completely stock Ibanez sounds fine on clean. It has much more to do with your amp than your guitar; of course it's still very much personal taste

-Many people use Ibanez guitars for other things than just metal and hard rock. Even someone like Paul Gilbert, who isn't shy to crank up the gain, occasionally (as in, during most of his solo albums) turns it down and uses a more blues/classic rock tone

As for the original question: if you like the 6 string Ibanez, why not?

I feel my 6 string RG is pretty different from my 7 string model, eventhough they're made of the same woods etc.

On top of that, if you like Ibanez-style necks, a PRS may not be what you're looking for.

I had the chance to play some, including the incredibly nice looking Swamp Ash Model, and I didn't like them that much.

Again, you might disagree with me, but keep in mind that just because they look awesome, doesn't mean that they will be the ideal guitar for you, too.

-I can't stand the clean tone of my Ibanez, and it's not my amp (Peavey 6505), my friend's strat sounds amazing through it. I guess it's down to taste, but it just sounds so half-assed, like they threw in some versatility as a tacked on gimmick.

-Gilbert still plays pretty high gain with his solo stuff. I will give it to you though, Artcores are amazing ska guitars.
Dickless.
Just try out the guitar...surely you'll know straight away whether it justifies the price or not. And S series' are versatile,well-designed and generally bloody good guitars - I don't see why you couldn;t own more than one. In fact the one you've got is totally different - the only thing they really share is the body shape and general overall design.
Quote by kyle62
Just try out the guitar...surely you'll know straight away whether it justifies the price or not. And S series' are versatile,well-designed and generally bloody good guitars - I don't see why you couldn;t own more than one. In fact the one you've got is totally different - the only thing they really share is the body shape and general overall design.
I've tried the 2007 S. The 2008 they don't have in stores but has the same neck dimensions and such. As for feel, it was instant love.

The main argument my pretty-knowledgeable(but elitist) friends had was that it wasn't worth getting a new guitar if I wasn't getting a completely new tone.(and that anything under 1500 wasn't worth it) I'm still torn. But thx so far for everyone that responded.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Custom 24 all the way.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
-I can't stand the clean tone of my Ibanez, and it's not my amp (Peavey 6505), my friend's strat sounds amazing through it. I guess it's down to taste, but it just sounds so half-assed, like they threw in some versatility as a tacked on gimmick.

-Gilbert still plays pretty high gain with his solo stuff. I will give it to you though, Artcores are amazing ska guitars.

6505 doesn't have all that hot of a clean channel as it is. Plug it into a twin reverb and see what you think. The amp is easy to overdrive and if the single coils are kinda hot it will easily cause it to break up.