Page 1 of 2
seeing as most of the bands discussed in this forum are rather under the radar and are by no means mainstream, sometimes it can be a bitch trying to find a band. so my question is, where does everyone download/buy their music from? Whether it be torrents, file sharing websites, stores down the street, just let me know.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
steal it. bitch
Running away from this earth.
May it pass away in the beautiful flames that it was created for.
Because when tomorrow fails to come,
today is just not the same.
Inflamed earth.
Roses.
In this hope.
For all i care set it all ablaze.

It adds loads of **** to your comp but Limewire is ok with a decent anti virus.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
the store.

from bands themselves.

itunes on occasion.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead
It adds loads of **** to your comp but Limewire is ok with a decent anti virus.

limewire doesn't have half the **** i look for.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
Mainly Limewire for old bands or itunes and CD stores for new bands
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Demonoid before it got shut down, but I use PirateBay now. Torrents are the way to go, but for more obscure stuff I'm also part of some private file sharing communities. If I like something though, I will go out of my way to buy it, whether it be local or not (I've contacted small bands to get buy CDs from them)
file sharing blogs > shows > itunes > record store

Edit: that's just a flow of my methods. I really prefer to buy the music from a band that comes through and plays a show, but that's not usually an option.
Last edited by Frenzied at Mar 29, 2008,
shows is the best bet but down where i live there ain't many of them. i use the free downloads of myspace/last.fm and sometimes download a few. used to get some from a guy running a distro but he stopped doing it which sort of sucks.
limewire sucks
torrents suck
id use slsk if i could figure it out
google: "artist""album name" blogspot
can torrents (like pirate bay, not private ones) screwup your computer? i.e. trojans, viruses, etc.
A lot of the sites list the files that are included in the torrent. As long as theyre all mp3 and image files I can't see much going wrong. Never had a problem with them myself, or with Limewire for that matter which I used a lot in the past.
do you guys want to be specific as to what torrents you use?
Quote by ch715dallat
Do not be specific with the torrents you use otherwise I will have to unholster the ban-hammer.

Torrents
Shows
Band Myspace
Record shop
Internet shop
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
Soulseek and .rar files. If I buy music, it'll usually be off the internet. Interpunk is good. A band's record label is usually the easiest place though.
EDIT:Took out the names to avoid banhammer.

Various blog search type things
Links to the merch off the bands myspace

I never use torrents for music but I buy vinyl off the internet 95% of the time.
Last edited by waldorphPRS41 at Mar 29, 2008,
definetly torrents if i love the band and they are not known enough to be in my local record store, and I share music with others and use audacity
Quote by Cedence
more people should really support their local record store. just sayin

I would if there was one near me that carried what I wanted. Sometime I'll go into Nashville to one downtown and buy stuff but it's mainly more indie bands (Sufjan, Starflyer 59, Bright Eyes).
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Do not be specific with the torrents you use otherwise I will have to unholster the ban-hammer.

Torrents
Shows
Band Myspace
Record shop
Internet shop

my bad, can i PM and ask?
Quote by ch715dallat
blogs (usually searched for through google), if that's a no go then I'll go to slsk. And if I like it I'll usually buy it on record and occasionally on CD. I'm not into getting it on several colours and pressings though, reaaally don't have all that much money to spend.
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
Quote by Cedence
more people should really support their local record store. just sayin

I know I'm a dick for getting my records for free, but I think most of the bands I listen to would rather me have their album than them have my money.

I'd buy all my music if I had the cash, but I don't, so I'll support the bands by listening to their songs and singing their lyrics at their shows.
Purely ordered online through whatever site I can find the CD on

I never download though
I probably should as CD buying leaves me out of pocket horribly and I'm running out of room now but I live in an area where the majority of bands I like will never play so the only way I can show support is getting a shirt or CD.
I'm not calling people out for downloading, because I do it as well. But I try to support my local record stores as much as I can, which isn't as much lately.

I just know a lot of people that see a record in the store, and are like "oh I'll download it when I get home.".
Quote by Cedence
I'm not calling people out for downloading, because I do it as well. But I try to support my local record stores as much as I can, which isn't as much lately.

I just know a lot of people that see a record in the store, and are like "oh I'll download it when I get home.".

the problem here, is that there is no good records at any store nearby.

I just buy a cd at the show
Quote by saxaxe
Torrents and a local store I just found that has a great stash of hardcore disks.

I know Celebrated Summer is in towson, is that what you're talking about?
Quote by Cedence

Nah, dude. I know where you're coming from. And if/when I have the opportunity I would/do.
I always use soulseek. Didn't know about that blogspot thing, that's helpful.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Page 1 of 2