hey all,

i'm normally a guitarist, but i decided to wander in here for a little bit. i should probably stick around more often, too. :P

anyways, my youth group worship team at church needs a bass, and i was going to help fill in, but we don't have a bass. unfortunately.

now, i was thinking about getting a cheap SX bass or something like that from www.rondomusic.com but it then occurred to me that acoustic electric basses could work too.

basically i'm asking whether it would be smarter to get a solid body bass or an A/E, especially considering the solids im looking at run around $50 cheaper than the AE's.

also, for acoustic electric basses, does it matter if the top is solid (like it does for a/e or just acoustic guitars, or is there a little leeway from the electricness?)

thanks.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Thing thing you'll find with ABGs is that unless you get one of three specific brands, it won't sound good unplugged and it's hit or miss for plugged-in sounds. With a little searching, you'll find which three I speak of. Also, the electronics on the Dean Playmate are crap. It sounds alright unplugged, but sounds like poop plugged in.

Also, large bodies, long-scales, and solid tops are a must.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
^+1 I forgot to mention that, unless you feel like dropping some change, don't expect to get a decent ABG.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Yup. Acoustic bass guitars almost always sound like crap (if you can hear 'em, that is)

You'll be much better off with a solidbody instrument.
I would get a Squier Vintage Modifed P-bass and put some flatwounds strings on it your look for an acoutic bass tone for cheap.
Just go for an electric. That's what I play in church and it works fine.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
kk, thanks guys.

question though, are the SX basses decent? i know that Agile guitars from rondomusic are supposedly very very decent for the money, and i was wondering if that was true for the basses too.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
if you have a modest budget, i recommend the Ibanez GSR200, or the Squier VM Jazz. if you have a little more, i suggest a Fender Jazz Bass. SX is not terrible but, you can do better for a little more money.