Im gonna be straight up honest. Ive played guitar for a while now, actually since 4th grade and im a freshman, and This is probably the worst thing to admit, but I still, use a Squier Strat single humbucker. And my amps pretty much crap.

With that said, Im not that rich either, would you guys reccomend a 150-200$ amp or a new guitar, thats DECENT i cant straight up pay 1,000$ for a guitar.. just wont happen.

Like ive played it everyday since I started and its possibly the best thing in my life, but its about time to upgrade..

But yea, either a new guitar or amp.

Also, I usually replace strings when they break, but I hear i should replace them like every month, what kind should I get? and what does changing them \exactly do?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
Last edited by MxPxPanic at Mar 29, 2008,
Why the $800 price difference between amp and guitar? If the Squier is just horrible to play, get a new guitar, but if you don't like your tone, get a new amp (prefferably tube).

I usually just wait until something snaps 'fore I replace my strings, so change them if you don't like the feel of them or their sounding dull. For string brands, D'addario, Ernie Balls, DR, someone at your local music store would be helpful as well when picking up some strings. Being new strings, when you change them, your tone isn't going to be as dull, they'll be cleaner as well.
anyone else?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
Of you like the feel of your squier, I'd say wait a while(I know, easier said then done) until you can afford at least a Mexican Standard Strat or maybe a bottom of the line Epiphone. $3-400

Any guitar in that price range isn't going to be any different then your Squier. And nothing embarrassing about it, I've know at least 2 poor and very talented guitarists that sounded great using Squiers.

And also same for the amp.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
danelectro guitar, ther good looking, good playin, n they got a certain differentness about them, pretty versatile too, unique guitars coz of the pick ps and styling, jimmy page n syd barrett had one but its still $300 ish (i know what it is over in britain but this is just a guess for americans) get a epiphone valve junior n some sort of cheap multi effex pedal
If you want a cheaper priced guitar, you can get a Gibson Baldwin SG, or Les Paul for a little over $100. You can find them on eBay and Gibson's web site. I got mine on eBay for about $120 including shipping charges. I used it for quite a while and never regretted buying it. But I upgraded to an Epiphone Les Paul standard recently so I don't really use the Gibson Baldwin SG much anymore now.
If you are getting a new guitar, buy something like a new Hagstrom Super Swede or Swede, they're like $500 USD, I think. Or better of course if you can afford it, but not lower than that, I would say. A Vox AD30VT amp maybe? Like $250, I think. If you're happy with your Squier, you don't need a new guitar.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I've seen pros gig with Squiers...I've never seen a pro gig with a Line 6 Spider though.

If you want the best value for money then the Roland Cube 30X - I prefer the Vox Valvetronixes but they're a little more expensive and in all honesty they both sound good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I've seen pros gig with Squiers...I've never seen a pro gig with a Line 6 Spider though.

If you want the best value for money then the Roland Cube 30X - I prefer the Vox Valvetronixes but they're a little more expensive and in all honesty they both sound good.

Everyone hating on the Spiders. Is it because it's digital and theres always that backlash? Eh, whatever. He's not looking to blow up Red Rocks tomorrow. He's a frosh in high school. The Spider is not a bad product for a guy starting out, with the onboard processing, and an input for mp3/cd players for practicing, etc. Let him get his feet under him, and he'll figure out what he wants in a "conventional" amp.
What are you wanting to do with the gear man? The Squier is not a bad guitar and your am is not bad either. If you aren't playing somewhere (church, gigs, whatever) where you need more power there is no strong reason to upgrade the amp. You might get more utility out of a multi effects pedal or sound processor than a new amp or guitar. Now if you are just wanting a new guitar or a different style like if you just want a Les Paul or something, that is always a good excuse
Quote by BaffAttack
Everyone hating on the Spiders. Is it because it's digital and theres always that backlash? Eh, whatever. He's not looking to blow up Red Rocks tomorrow. He's a frosh in high school. The Spider is not a bad product for a guy starting out, with the onboard processing, and an input for mp3/cd players for practicing, etc. Let him get his feet under him, and he'll figure out what he wants in a "conventional" amp.

I "hate on them" because they sound like crap and there's better digital modelling amps available for the same money, namely the Roland Cubes and Vox Valvetronixes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MxPxPanic
Im gonna be straight up honest. Ive played guitar for a while now, actually since 4th grade and im a freshman, and This is probably the worst thing to admit, but I still, use a Squier Strat single humbucker. And my amps pretty much crap.

With that said, Im not that rich either, would you guys reccomend a 150-200$ amp or a new guitar, thats DECENT i cant straight up pay 1,000$ for a guitar.. just wont happen.

Like ive played it everyday since I started and its possibly the best thing in my life, but its about time to upgrade..

But yea, either a new guitar or amp.

Also, I usually replace strings when they break, but I hear i should replace them like every month, what kind should I get? and what does changing them \exactly do?

Amp. Having a single pickup isnt all that bad unless it just doesnt do it for you. Unless I heard wrong, Eddie's Frankenstrat is a single humbucker, with a broken neck pickup and some crap jammed in the middle slot.

But amps dont come easy. I found a Spider III 15 watt for 100$ which seems fairly good, for practicing, though. Thats the best thing I can find for under 200. I found a Spider III 30 watt for 200 here, which is where I found the 15.

So, a new amp should work for now, until your guitar goes to crap.
i don't change my strings as often as i apperenty should but i am a huge fan of Elixir polyweb strings. but i've got the superlight ones .009
Quote by MxPxPanic

New strings have a more brilliant and lively sound. Ideally you should change all strings together so to have a uniform set. You don't have to change them every month, unless you play for 6h a day. I play 2-3h a day and change them every 2 months.

Squiers are not that bad actually, and probably is better for you to start saving and buy a new guitar next year. If you buy it now with your budget you'll probably buy a guitar of the same quality -> not an improvement.