Hello UG'ers,

I'm sitting around bored and figured i'd try my hand at writing some sort of melody. I've been practicing minor and harmonic minor scales in A so I figured I would try to put together some sort of Am progression and then some rhythm fills over it so I could kind of try my hand at improving.

The only thing is, for the life of me I can't count this rhythm in my head. It is a 1-3-4-6 Rhythm, so that is Am-C-D/Dm-F. I am using a Dm. The rhythm starts with a glide like strum on the 1 and 2 beat and a hard stuccato strum on the last strum of the chord. Adding the glide in there screws with my nonstop strumming cause it falls on a wierd beat. All i figure out is that i'm hitting the chords on the 1 and 2 beats but can't figure out what it is in between. Is it some kind of 16th note rhythm i'm throwing in there? It kind of sounds like 1e+a but just "+a" of the 16th note.

Here is a crappy recording of the beat.

http://www.badongo.com/file/8532990

On my Audacity, i'm keeping relatively good timing and can see sort of where the beat falls by whether it falls on a whole second or in the middle of 2 seconds if you know what I mean.

***This theory stuff is killing me hehehhe****

Any type of help would be appreciated. Hope my foul playing doesnt hurt any ears.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Sounds like 3/4 to me.

The first hit and the stacatto hit are both on 1.

Edit:

To further explain, the way I'm counting each chord lasts two bars, and your hits are on 1 3 and 1
Last edited by icronic at Mar 29, 2008,
If you want to count each chord as a measure, it's in 2/4.
The rhythm you're playing goes:
1 & 2 (&
with the 2 staccato and the second "&" a rest.
But after reading icronic's comment and listening to it again,
it makes just as much sense in 3/4.
i counted it in 6/8 lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Hurm, I can see the 3/4 influence now. That actually works to my favor because I wanted to throw an Em chord after the F chord as this kind of passing chord that fit kind of cool.

I wasn't shooting for something besides 4/4, but whatever works.

Thanks for your input.

*edit:

I thought this sounded really familiar. IT'S FREAKING HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN! That kind of sucks that its almost the same thing, but I guess it's hard to be 100% original these days. I used a Dm instead of a D in the progression and version two will have that Em chord in there.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Last edited by jewbaby667 at Mar 30, 2008,