Has anybody played both a Peavey 6506 212 Combo AND a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster?

I am looking for a comparison and I haven't been able to get both side by side. What I really want to know is whether the Mesa boogie is worth the extra $700.

Also, what is the "word on the street" about the Peavey?

Edit: Is the Mesa worth the extra $1000 dollars? (I forgot that Peavey allows discounts on MSRP and Mesa doesn't)
Roadster beats the 6505 for everything. The roadster is just a scaled down version of the amp I own...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
i think the peavey would be a much better decision. u can get the brutal tones for half the price
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Roadster beats the 6505 for everything.

I can do a whole lot with the extra $1000, why shouldn't I buy the Peavey?
The 6505 and the Roadster aren't even in the same class of amps (imo). If I had the cash I'd would most deffinately rather have the Roadster over the 6505. Much better cleans, no harsh distortion, tighter, much more versatile, just over all a better amp. However, if you can go used, I'd suggest you look at a Mark IV, which I still prefer over the Roadster. You can get them for cheaper than a new 6505 combo used and it's MILES better, I think at least (and I've owned a 5150).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
a mesa is tighter than the 6505? you have to be kidding me. there's no way it's as tight without adding EQ's or boosts.

I haven't specifically played on the roadster recto. but I love my 6505+, which has a dedicated clean channel. that's the one I would go with. save the money and put it towards some other gear.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
a mesa is tighter than the 6505? you have to be kidding me. there's no way it's as tight without adding EQ's or boosts.

There's PLENTLY of Mesas that are tight sounding. People seem to get the idea that they all have a loose low end like the regular rectos which is most definitely not true.

There's a lot of people that love 5150s, I'm just really not a fan of the tone, they sound great on recordings but I could never get anything like that out of mine when I had it, so I got rid of it and am much happier with my Mesa now because of it. Just voicing my opinion
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i have a carvin v3 engl invader and 5150 and used to have a recto. The carvin is better than the recto IMHO (with the right tubes and speakers), however you need a boost if you like the br00talz. The 5150 is a different beast..much more knarly sounding..best way to describe is nickleback have the typical recto tones and carcass/machinehead etc have typical 5150 tones.

V3 and a boost would do you fine for cheapness, but dont get a recto over an ENGL.
Quote by MatrixClaw
There's PLENTLY of Mesas that are tight sounding. People seem to get the idea that they all have a loose low end like the regular rectos which is most definitely not true.

There's a lot of people that love 5150s, I'm just really not a fan of the tone, they sound great on recordings but I could never get anything like that out of mine when I had it, so I got rid of it and am much happier with my Mesa now because of it. Just voicing my opinion

I agree . Its mostly rectos that have the flabby low end. Go for the Roadster... Its beastly much better cleans... and 1000s of miles of versitilaty ( I just don't want the mesa sound, only reason I'm not getting one)
Quote by Highwaytohell
I agree . Its mostly rectos that have the flabby low end. Go for the Roadster... Its beastly much better cleans... and 1000s of miles of versitilaty ( I just don't want the mesa sound, only reason I'm not getting one)

That is understandable why you aren't getting one. Your saving for a Quickrod. It does teh Marshall tone better than a Marshall...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Looking in totally different classes of amps. The 6505 makes absolutely horrendous feedback and ambient noise. The Roadster beats it all around, perhaps I would compare two things that aren't quite as far apart..?
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Quote by Cied Shredder
The 6505 makes absolutely horrendous feedback and ambient noise.

I used my 6505+ last night and didn't have any feedback whatsoever (minus the controlled feedback). You just have to turn the pregain down as you turn up the postgain. Also, an overdrive pedal to boost the tone really helps if you didn't like the harshness of it stock. It sounds much better to me when boosted.

Of course, a noise gate is always good and I'm in the midst of finding a good one. Anyone know of any good ones available in Canada?
Heres the simplest way to look at it...

If every band you love to play uses the 6505 and you love that tone then get that amp.

If every band you love uses everything else then get the Mesa. Its more versatile and does everything really well.

The 6505 has a very unique voicing to it that some love and some hate. So its a either i love it and must have it or your on the fence and i would go with mesa if you on the fence.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Heres the simplest way to look at it...

If every band you love to play uses the 6505 and you love that tone then get that amp.

If every band you love uses everything else then get the Mesa. Its more versatile and does everything really well.

The 6505 has a very unique voicing to it that some love and some hate. So its a either i love it and must have it or your on the fence and i would go with mesa if you on the fence.

+1 if you're on that picket fence, get off, THEY'RE POINTY!!!!!

mesa = different class
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by tritone
I used my 6505+ last night and didn't have any feedback whatsoever (minus the controlled feedback). You just have to turn the pregain down as you turn up the postgain. Also, an overdrive pedal to boost the tone really helps if you didn't like the harshness of it stock. It sounds much better to me when boosted.

Of course, a noise gate is always good and I'm in the midst of finding a good one. Anyone know of any good ones available in Canada?

This thread is 2 months old. Why'd you bump it?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The 6505 and the Roadster aren't even in the same class of amps (imo). If I had the cash I'd would most deffinately rather have the Roadster over the 6505. Much better cleans, no harsh distortion, tighter, much more versatile, just over all a better amp. However, if you can go used, I'd suggest you look at a Mark IV, which I still prefer over the Roadster. You can get them for cheaper than a new 6505 combo used and it's MILES better, I think at least (and I've owned a 5150).

+1

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Mesas really outclass anything by Peavey.
This thread is useless. Please close it...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993