Hi there guys

I currently have a LANEY MXD 120W Hardcore combo all solid-state amp and it currently has 2 12" Celestion Seventy-80's in it. I play metal in the style of Killswitch, Arch Enemy and Lamb Of God. Do you guys think that changing the speakers to Vintage 30's will help to get that metal tone I want so much? I'm also using the BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion instead of the amp's distortion as it sucks donkey **** lol. Also the combo is open back but I think I'm going to close it in the near future.

Constructive critisism (if you don't like the amp, pedal, or speakers) is also appreciated!

10x guys!!!!!
I would just buy a new amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Erm no that's not an option lol, If I buy a new amp its going to be a Dual Rec, and I don't have that kind of cash
buy a decent amp
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
so save up, replacing speakers on an amp your going to replace is both costly, and pointless
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
do a ValveKing!

i tried out that same amp, but i instead settled on the LV300T. i did not like the distortion on the MXD at all, and thought that all of the effects were useless. while the LV is still technically solid state, it does have a tube preamp to warm the tone up. i do sometimes wish i had bought a ValveKing or an old 5150, the LV does have its advantages. it sounds fantastic clean and with low gain.

anyone have an opinion on closing the back of the cabinet? i've wondered about that too.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
If you want a high gain amp that's low-priced, go for a used Peavey 5150. You can nab them on ebay for like $500.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I bought a sheet of soundproofing and closed the back of the cab. Now the tone is bassier and punchier
i'm in need of some speakers as well and use a valveking 212
that I love.

check out the Eminence line of speakers.
Once upon a time you dressed so fine...