the input of of my vox ad30 fell through, so i took the time to undo all the screws and open the back. i fixed the input and plugged my guitar in. it had a little brighter tone to it which i liked. now my question is. would it be bad to keep the back of it off, and while its off should i try to upgrade or check or fix anything. what are some cheap mods under 100 dollars i could do it. would it be worth modding it. Just any advise will help

thanks in advance
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
If you mean just the piece covering up the valves and speaker, then no, it wouldn't be bad. And it does affect the tone - closed-back amps and cabs have a bassier sound to them. As for mods, the only things you can really do are change the valve that is in there to something different and swap out the speaker.
I would change the tube in it, or swap out the speaker. Both would do the amp some good i think. And unless your gonna drive somewhere with it in the back of your car, you can leave the back off.
any specific speakers or valves you could recommend. where can i find them
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
I wouldn't spend any money on mods for a valvetronix, personally. The 30 is too small to gig with or be heard over a drummer. It's just a practice amp, so I personally wouldn't care to do mods to help the sound, but it's up to you.
Quote by Ardie12
any specific speakers or valves you could recommend. where can i find them

for a speaker, i'd recommend warehouse speakers. a celestion clone in particular. myself, i'd get a greenback clone (even though it falls 5 watts short) but that's personal preference of course.

http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9
excellent speakers for the price from what i hear.

tubes: check the tubes sticky. you'll need just 1 12ax7 valve.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by rush5757
I wouldn't spend any money on mods for a valvetronix, personally. The 30 is too small to gig with or be heard over a drummer. It's just a practice amp, so I personally wouldn't care to do mods to help the sound, but it's up to you.

yeah last night i had my first gig and volume was a problem
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
so bought a Tung-Sol 12AX7 tube, just twenty dollars out my pocket, it will be here in a couple days. any other advise
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
i have a vox ad30vt, its plenty loud enough to be heard over the drums. from what i hear replacing the tube does do a decent amount, and its not a bank breaker. replacing the speaker could help a good amount, but definitely keep the stock one just in case you want to sell the vox and keep your new speaker. the only thing holding me back from buying a new speaker for my vox is that its a 10 inch speaker, and most likely if i upgrade my amp i'd be getting something with a 12 inch.
Gear
-Fender American Stratt
-Tube Cricket
-Homemade 20 Watt Tube (pics+clips soon)
-MXR Stereo Chorus
-Holy Grail Reverb

Theres no sensation to compare with this, suspended animation, a state of bliss...
I don't mean to bust any bubbles but keep in mind the Valvetronix is a modeling amp, so most of the sound is in the digital pre-amp and should not change too much due to tube change. Speaker would help, but I think it would be more worthy to save money for a new amp. Even a Valve Junior. Yes, I know cliche to advise a tube amp, but there is a reason it is cliche. Because they are good.
For tubes get a Tungsol.
It's usually the most widely accepted brand here (without paying an arm and a leg) for preamp tubes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
There's really no need whatsoever to change the valves in a hybrid, you know. Gigging around twice a week, I change the six 12AX7s in my amp about once every two years or so - and in hybrid amps they run at very low voltages so they could literally last a decade or more. A speaker upgrade isn't worthwhile either for a 30W practice combo, Vox aren't stingy when it comes to speakers and you'll get no improvement unless you're looking at high quality stuff.

As for leaving the back off, sure.In fact, a more worthwhile mod might to to come up with a way of quickly removing/fixing the back panel so the amp's internals are less exposed when you have to travel with it. Double-sided adhesive velcro pads are good for the purpose.
im not really sure about new speakers, but i know im going to get a tube amp like peavy VK or something for more power for future gigging. the reason i want to improve my valvetronix is b/c i use it for home practice and recording so i want a good sound for that. i also like the versatility that it gives me. i will record a clip before and after the new tube to show people the difference. thanx everyone for there input
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
I keep the back off of my AD50, I've not really noticed any tonal change (probably because I live in a cupboard) but I like to record the back of the speaker and blend it with the front. As long as it's properly screwed at the sides, and you don't sit on it, it's perfectly safe.
Swap the tube while you have it open, it makes a nice change depending on the tube you use.
Search the forms here, theres a few large threads walking though a few tubes members have tried.
Quote by Ardie12
so bought a Tung-Sol 12AX7 tube, just twenty dollars out my pocket, it will be here in a couple days. any other advise

You spend $20 on a single preamp tube? OUCH. For a practice amp, while a tube may make a slight difference, you obviously need something with more power. My advise is to save up for a new one, or sell the Valvetronix and use the money you would of spent on a speaker towards a new amp.
Quote by CJRocker
You spend $20 on a single preamp tube? OUCH. For a practice amp, while a tube may make a slight difference, you obviously need something with more power. My advise is to save up for a new one, or sell the Valvetronix and use the money you would of spent on a speaker towards a new amp.

it was 15$ plus like 2 dollars shipping. i mentioned a little earlier how i was looking at a Peavy VK for gigging. but im still using the vox for recording
My Gear

Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
Good idea with the tube.
20 bucks is worth it to see if it makes a good difference.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator