My guitarist wants to invest in an amp purely for gigging he has about £400 to spend. We're an indie/rock band playing mostly Arctic Monkies sort of stuff.

Thanks a lot.
Laney VC30 is the first thing that springs to mind, Might not be "gritty" enough for Arctic Monkeys stuff, but it's definitely worth a look. The Peavey Classic 30's another to look into aswell.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The laney VC gets a great Arctic Monkeys tone, and the Rocker 30 doesn't have a very nice clean tone IMO. But the VC has a great Clean tone.
He feels fairly set on getting a half stack not a combo and I'm having a hard time convincing him otherwise... There any good half stacks he could get for the price?
*facepalm* get him on UG and we'll convince him a Half Stack does not increase penis size
Quote by Ripper_66
He feels fairly set on getting a half stack not a combo and I'm having a hard time convincing him otherwise... There any good half stacks he could get for the price?

Tell him indie bands use combos, if he's a proper indie kid that'll matter more to him than having a big stack

But seriously, unless he gets an incredibly good deal on a head and buys a cheap POS cab, he'll do way better with a combo.

My Music
Quote by thellamaking
*facepalm* get him on UG and we'll convince him a Half Stack does not increase penis size

ROTFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
that is the funniest thing ive seen all day and i watched lee evans xl tour XDD
Quote by nebiru
Is this your music?

Are you confused? You have like 5 genres mixed into one thing. Who's the dude with the lisp rapping? because I bursted out laughing.
Maybe we should let him cart his 4'12 and valveking 100 head around for a few months, only to never turn it up higher than two and a half and let him learn the hard way.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists
Quote by affinity_strat
Maybe we should let him cart his 4'12 and valveking 100 head around for a few months, only to never turn it up higher than two and a half and let him learn the hard way.

I'm the bassist and I've got a big 4x10 cab that needs like 2 people to lift I feel your pain.
If he gets a stack the sound quality wll be worse because he'll need to buy a cab as well as the head. Whereas the combo is.... a combo O.o
my +1 goes to the C30.

my guitarist has one, its helluva gritty
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Seriously though, tell your friend that unless he has a date scheduled at Central Park, or Madison Square Garden pretty soon, that a 40W Tube combo (you know like the rest of us non-rock star mortals use) will likely get him through, and even exceed his needs for, almost any situation. There are plenty of combos in that price range that would sound much better than a crappy 100W stack turned up to 2 and a half.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists
Quote by Ripper_66
He's thinking of saving to get a marshall 60 TSL, good idea?

In my experience with it and having heard my mate use it, it sounds really mushy. It's not a great choice for the indie stuff. The DSL401 would be better, I think, though I don't have any experience with it.

My Music
Quote by Ripper_66
He's thinking of saving to get a marshall 60 TSL, good idea?

Not that great and completely wrong for the sounds he wants.

£400 isn't going to get him a decent stack - it's not even enough for a decent head*! The Laney VC30 is perfect and loud as anything, the new Sound City combos are worth a look too. And why does he even want a stack, it's not like any of his heroes are using them, pretty much every indie-ish band I've seen lately had combos on stage. The only thing that matters with an amp is the sound, looks and form factor are incidental.

*except in Amsterdam, where he could get oodles of decent head.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Alright I'll try and convince him to get the laney, I dont know why he's being so difficult