Hey everyone. I'm looking into an S for my next guitar (I like small, light instruments: my Schecter is tiny, and I tried plenty of RGs and even JEMs and didn't really like them) but I'm absolutely confused by Ibanez's classification scheme.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what's the difference between the types? Like, there's some that are just S, then SA, SZ, SV... then S prestige. Each one has a crazy three-or-four digit number, and I really have trouble finding out what features each has.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Quote by HammerAndSickle
Hey everyone. I'm looking into an S for my next guitar (I like small, light instruments: my Schecter is tiny, and I tried plenty of RGs and even JEMs and didn't really like them) but I'm absolutely confused by Ibanez's classification scheme.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what's the difference between the types? Like, there's some that are just S, then SA, SZ, SV... then S prestige. Each one has a crazy three-or-four digit number, and I really have trouble finding out what features each has.
Hey I'm your man. I've been researching S's for the last 5months.

S - ZR trem, HSH or HH with range of options from Infinity to EMG pups.
SZ - Non-tremolo body through version
SA - Strat style SAT trem(non floating)
S Prestige - First Japanese factory version for over 5 years. HSH with ZR 2 trem. Hot Grinder and Short tracer pups with 5-way switch - Wizard Prestige neck which has a little bit different scale between frets but is the same thinness as wizard.
SV - Newest Prestige. brand new, mostly sold out until this summer. New non-locking tremolo system. SHS with new "true-duo bucker" pups. Non-coil tap but new wiring that essentially separates pups into single coil style

EDIT: SV's trem also has option of being free floating or being set. Feel free to PM me cause I've don my research

woops, and also I meant HSH with the SV
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 29, 2008,
man the S prestige sounds sexy... its a shame i probably wouldnt be able to afford one in a million years =/
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Hey, thanks a ton, man. So, basically if I'm looking for ones with trems, it's just the standard S or prestige? I'm looking for a lot of tuning stability, which sorta rules out the SA strat trem (never liked strats anyway :P)

What's up with the ZR 2? Is it better than the ZR? And what does non-locking mean, for the SV? That's the synchroniZR trem, right?
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Quote by HammerAndSickle
Hey, thanks a ton, man. So, basically if I'm looking for ones with trems, it's just the standard S or prestige? I'm looking for a lot of tuning stability, which sorta rules out the SA strat trem (never liked strats anyway :P)

What's up with the ZR 2? Is it better than the ZR? And what does non-locking mean, for the SV? That's the synchroniZR trem, right?

Well the synchroni is non-locking it does have good locking tuners but nothing at the nut like floyds. Some people from Jemsite believed that some nut-binding could occur leading to more detuning then a floyd but obviously nothing like a "vintage" trem. It seems it's a choice between less tuning stability or less headaches/setup costs for non-floyd trem.

You know, because flatting of notes can occurs on big bends with any floyd trem, I like the ability for the synchroni to be able to be set.

The ZR 2 supposedly has some tweaks to ZR that allow for more extreme tremolo work. I *think* some of the springs were swapped and the inner mechanisms change. The saddles and such should be the same.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
As for the number codes, Ibanez go as follows:

Three digit: Standard Series
Four digit: Prestige Series

E.g. S-p-x-n-z - p is the Prestige number (where applicable), x is the guitar revision, n is the pickup configuration, z is the bridge

Pickup configurations:
1: Single humbucker
2: Dual humbucker
5 or 7: HSH

Bridge:
0: Locking trem
1: Fixed/hardtail
7: 7-string
8: (RG Prestige) 8-string

So mine, S470:
Non-Prestige
Revision 4
HSH
Floating tremolo

Simple, eh?

Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Awesome! Thanks for that, that really helps in decoding all of this.

Up til now I assumed the numbers were strictly random XD
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Hye Rob, thx! I did not know that. Yeah...but don't you love those sexy names Ibanez gives to their guitars.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination