In terms of A major, Ionian = The major scale, starting on the fifth fret of the E string, right..?

So, I'm confused as to where the Dorian, Phrygian etc begin on the fretboard?

Because on the modes lesson on UG, it says the starting note of the Dorian for C major is D, but does the starting note matter? I have this scale book, with all the modes of A major, and they all begin on A..

So, the question is.. does the starting note correspond to the mode ? Or do all modes of a scale begin on the root of the scale..?

Sorry for the confused wording, I'm just getting into theory..
Yo Homes, To Belair
A dorian starts on A. A lydian starts on A. All of them start on A.

The reason you see "the dorian mode of C major starts on D" is because if you start on the second note of C major (D) and play to the next D, you get D dorian. You never use D dorian over a C major chord or progression.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
When they say that the starting note of Dorian for C major is D, it means that D Dorian is the second mode of the C major scale. A mode is when you take a scale and use a different note to the tonic as your tonal centre.

C D E F G A B is C major.

D E F G A B C is D Dorian.

A major is A B C# D E F# G#.

A Dorian is A B C D E F# G.

A Phrygian is A Bb C D E F G.
A Dorian and A Phrygian will start on the 5th fret of the E string. I'm not sure what you mean by A major Dorian.
Quote by blue_strat
When they say that the starting note of Dorian for C major is D, it means that D Dorian is the second mode of the C major scale. A mode is when you take a scale and use a different note to the tonic as your tonal centre.

C D E F G A B is C major.

D E F G A B C is D Dorian.

A major is A B C# D E F# G#.

A Dorian is A B C D E F# G.

A Phrygian is A Bb C D E F G.

This was real helpful pal, cheers.
Yo Homes, To Belair
Quote by Avedas
A Dorian and A Phrygian will start on the 5th fret of the E string. I'm not sure what you mean by A major Dorian.

No, they start on A...anywhere. Modes are not positions or box shapes.

I'm just getting into theory.

Then don't worry about modes. Learn the major inside and out, in every key, all over the fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, they start on A...anywhere. Modes are not positions or box shapes.

I obviously know that. I was keeping in with his example.
There is just one shape, it doesn't start or end anywhere.... learn it and you will be able to play anything.

It is the major scale. Learn all of the patterns this scale makes over the fretboard and you will always have your basis for lead guitar.