hey i was wondering if anyone owns a set of these John Mayer pickups and could post sound clips and/or give their impressions of the pickups, because i'm considering buying a set of some custom hand wound ones, but i can't decide between them and lace sensors (blue, silver, red) any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I've not tried the big dippers but I could help you with any lace you might have a question about. I've tried all their single coils.
how is the red silver blue combination ? are they any good what styles are they best suited for? thanks
well the big dippers have scooped mids. which isnt really a good thing. though they are to "john mayer's specifications" i dont think they would achieve his tone at all seing as when i play john mayer things i use a lot of mids. i wouldn't get lace sensors... singlecoils with noiseless technology(fender noisless, lace, emg's) are usually a little meh... and laces dont have pole pieces which imo is really ackward looking.
^The reason they have a scooped midrange is because JM likes to control his mids on his amp.
The pickups on my profile MP3's are exact clones of the Big Dippers, check them out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i love them!! How much did they cost and where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? and it's a shame you live in America, i would have loved to have jammed with you some time
90 bucks.
Customwound by some guy in Ohio.
But, just find custom winders on Ebay, they do work like that for around that price.
Just tell them to make you a set of pickups like the JM Big Dippers, or just tell them that they have a scooped midrange. The good winders will know what you mean.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
90 bucks thats insane, thats only 45£!! im gona have an ebay hunt..
The silver and blue pickups are rather good- the blue is very fat and warm. The silver is really ballsy and bright, but I didn't like the red so much. It's very hot but not as fat as the others. The bass is lacking as well. If you're looking for something more vintage, the gold and hot gold sets are much better IMO- the bridge is very crunchy and the cleans are warmer than the rest of the line. The other lace type to check out are the holy grails, which are a little thinner than the golds but have a more authentic vintage sound especially in the 2 and 4 position.
could you provide me with a link please im not having much luck right away, thanks for all your help so far
^Blue Laces are great too.
I don't have experience with the others.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
do you have a link or contact details for your ohio guy or someone similar please?
I PMed you.
He isn't doing the strat pickups right now for some reason, but he does rewind pickups.
Just do some extra hunting on ebay. There's a definite few on ebay which do good jobs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Babylou
90 bucks thats insane, thats only 45£!! im gona have an ebay hunt..

You live in Europe?

I would contact CorduroyEW, here on UG. He lives in Wales, fantastic pickup winder. He can definitely so something like the Big Dippers....

Oh, he also does a 10% discount for UG members.

His web addy is: rockmonkeyguitars.com.
^i know, he said he could do similar ones for 95£ so i'm tempted, im just searchin around getting best deals thanks anyway
^Yeah. When you're in europe, i'd look into corduroyEW.
It's a tad more expensive, but it's probably better in the long run.
Not sure if the ohio guy would be too keen in shipping overseas.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Plus, I had to drill new holes with the ohio guy's pickups.
It gave me alot of trouble to install them, but they were worth it.
Sorry, I didn't know that the guy I got mine done by wasn't winding pickups anymore.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
hmm, ok please could you tell me how is the bridge pickup, corduroy didn't rate them, thanks again guys.
Quote by mrchow
well the big dippers have scooped mids. which isnt really a good thing. though they are to "john mayer's specifications" i dont think they would achieve his tone at all seing as when i play john mayer things i use a lot of mids. i wouldn't get lace sensors... singlecoils with noiseless technology(fender noisless, lace, emg's) are usually a little meh... and laces dont have pole pieces which imo is really ackward looking.

Yeah, considering almost all of of John' guitars have Big Dippers in them (Monterey Strat excluded). I know for a fact that his personal signature model does, as does his black relic'd strat.