Ok so I got a Epiphone Les Paul Custom a couple days ago. I just restrung it with DR 10s and for some reason when I play bar chords past the ninth frett, the strings seem to fall out of tune. When I play further down the neck (towards headstock) it sounds fine but as soon as i go up the neck especially at the twelfth frett, its outta tune by about an 8th of a step, if that makes any sense. It could have done this before and I just didnt notice, but what gives?
it's not set up. get it set up at a guitar store or pretty much anybody who is associated with guitars. but they have to be reliable
I actually did get it set up by a guy at a local music store. He adjusted the actioin for me and all. Is it possible I knocked something outta place when I restrung it?
uhhh maybe its just a crappy guitar? i dunno im not very good at these hings
ESP LTD AX-50
BOSS MT-2
Line6 Spider lll

Commanda of the esp4lyfe club. PM me or Snuffles to join

Member of the Anti-Ibanez Militia
PM Verminitude to join.
did you restring it with heavier or lighter stings then yes with heavier strings more pull on the neck with lighter strings less pull on the neck.
Well, if you get a guitar set up by adjusting the action and truss rod and all that stuff, it normally will fall right back out if you restring it shortly after adjustment. Take it back to the guitar store to get everything set up again, and wait a while to change the strings. Also, next time the intonation gets out of whack, take it back to the guitar guy and tell him to fix it up but you want a string change as well. That way you won't have to worry about the intonation going out on the next string change after that.
Ok. I hope its something like that. I guess ill find out next week. Kinda irritating though. I would have got the strings changed instantly but couldnt afford it so i had him just adjust it all. Thanks. Anyone here know how I may could fix it myself?
Quote by flames&guitars
did you restring it with heavier or lighter stings then yes with heavier strings more pull on the neck with lighter strings less pull on the neck.

Yeah, that's another thing. If you ever get it restrung with a different gauge, take it to the store and ask them to restring it and set it up for you. Changing strings without adjustment can seriously **** up the intonation, and could very possibly ruin the neck. Since it's an Epiphone Les Paul, the neck is connected to the body, and if the neck's ****ed, then the whole guitar is ****ed.
Quote by crackereast
maybe the TOM is backwards

No its the same strings I believe.
Is that a trick? if not, what the crap is a TOM?
Last edited by labria86 at Mar 29, 2008,
A quick, temporary fix would be to play the twelfth fret natural harmonic of a string, then hold the string down at the twelfth fret and play it. Since they're both octaves of that string, then they should theoretically be the same pitch if the intonation is right. If they're not, take a flathead screwdriver and adjust the individual string length. There are screws on the bridge that will do this. I forget which way to turn will do what, so just experiment with that by turning it one way and seeing if the pitches are closer. It'll take a good bit of time and effort. It takes me about a half an hour to do all six strings. But, still take it to the place to get it set up. It will be much more accurate that way. This is just a temporary remedy to keep the annoying out of tune-ness away this weekend.
Quote by labria86
No its the same strings I believe.
Is that a trick? if not, what the crap is a TOM?

no trick, if the tune o matic is backwards [flipped] the intonation
well be wrong
Quote by GreekRockr9
A quick, temporary fix would be to play the twelfth fret natural harmonic of a string, then hold the string down at the twelfth fret and play it. Since they're both octaves of that string, then they should theoretically be the same pitch if the intonation is right. If they're not, take a flathead screwdriver and adjust the individual string length. There are screws on the bridge that will do this. I forget which way to turn will do what, so just experiment with that by turning it one way and seeing if the pitches are closer. It'll take a good bit of time and effort. It takes me about a half an hour to do all six strings. But, still take it to the place to get it set up. It will be much more accurate that way. This is just a temporary remedy to keep the annoying out of tune-ness away this weekend.

Ok thanks man. Ill probably just wait till next week, or call one of my guitar savy friends and have them take a look.
Quote by crackereast
no trick, if the tune o matic is backwards [flipped] the intonation
well be wrong

OHHHHHHHHHHHH! Tune-o-matic! Now your speaking my language. I think its on straight, all the screw heads are facing the headstock.
Haha, I didn't know what TOM was supposed to stand for either.

Anyway, I'd reccomend at least trying to adjust the string lenghts using the harmonic octave. That way you can at least get a little feel of guitar maintenance so that someday in the future you won't have to pay someone else to do this stuff.
Quote by labria86
OHHHHHHHHHHHH! Tune-o-matic! Now your speaking my language. I think its on straight, all the screw heads are facing the headstock.

i think that is backwards
Quote by crackereast
i think that is backwards

Hmmmmmm.... It looks the same as in all the pictures of TOMs i see.
not the one i am looking at,but look at the sadles the low e will
have a bigger slot than high e