im trying to learn some new scales and chords that go with em also

this is for metal, sort of metalcore death metal type stuff for my band
i want to use a lil of my thrash style in this too
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
the harmonic minor scale is the same as the natural minor scale, except the last note (the seventh) is raised half a step.

so Cm is C D Eb F G Ab Bb and C

then C harmonic minor is C D Eb F G Ab B and C
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
The iv is minor and the VI is major.

You would generally use harmonic minor as a substitution for natural minor. A common progression is Am G F E. Am G F is pure natural minor, but the E chord comes from A Harmonic minor.

Quote by psychokiller99
the harmonic minor scale is the same as the natural minor scale, except the last note (the seventh) is raised half a step.

so Cm is C D Eb F G Ab Bb and C

then C harmonic minor is C D Eb F G Ab B and C
Scales should always be understood as derivations of their major scale as well.

For instance, C major is C D E F G A B; the intervals are 1 2 3 4 5 6 7. C harmonic minor is C D Eb F G Ab B; its intervals are 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7.

It would be uncommon and misleading to say that, compared to the minor scale, harmonic minor is 1 2 3 4 5 6 #7 as #7=8=1, making it a 6-tone scale which you don't mean.

Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Mar 29, 2008,
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all

Is the new sign for "Theory Sticky"? If so, I support.
^Oh nothing, just the fact there happens to be a search bar.

edit: i didn't know the harmonic minor scale was covered in the sticky? if so i'm even more annoyed.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Mar 29, 2008,
used the search bar and the sticky

so

cry
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by one vision
Harmonic minor is just a minor scale with a sharped 7th. Not sure about power chords.

Like BGC said, you should refer to the major scale when comparing it so that you end up with 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7; it's more accurate to call it a natural seventh, because raising the seventh degree implies you've arrived back at the tonic.