--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes my name is Tim,
i have a problem...

i have been playing guitar for 4 years now...
right now i am playing on a squire strat.
i am wondering how i can get a better sound out of it, its not worth putting new pickups on it due to the cracks around the bolt on neck, the horrible fret buzz, the insainly high action.
i tried adjusting the truss rod before (i probably only f****** it up lol) but i dont think it would really matter because the action is so high to kill off fret buzz and the cracks on body wouldnt seem to have much improvement.

but i am wondering....

if i can raise or lower the pickups to get a better sound out of it, not only that i have this problem with them, the magnet (or whatever you call it) on the pickups for the G string are higher than any of the other magnets...
this is giving it a horrible sound, when i play clean stuff it is rather diff, as far as picking and such because i have to pick the g string alot softer than the others, but the main problem is with power chords, when i strum them the g string stands out like a sore dick... and seems to destroy my overall tone...

can you take apart the pickups and mess with the magnets? that dosent
seem healthy but if it will work

i am currently running my guitar threw a :
-Randall RG200 combo amp
-a boss CS-3 compression sustainer
-a boss CE-2 chorus pedal
-a boss Hm-2 heavy metal pedal ( i dont use much because i can get a good enough distortion out of my amp)
-a crybaby
-a volume pedal
-a boss bcb-6 pedal board (more of a pedal carring case lol)

i am embarresed to have a fortune in equipment and a $99 dollar guitar (exaggerated price-unsure of actual price)

I also am in a band as a rythem guitarist, i havent giged with them yet, but they want me to for the first time, next weekend.

and my ****ty little squire is no match for the Les Paul our lead guitarist uses...

im a little embarresed lol!

but after all it is about how well you can play rather than the insturment

im looking to get a jackson soon...

If you think you can help me, please do so thank you
yea if you dont want to buy anything just keep adjusting and try to get over it (not saying it in a bad way) since from the sound of it you just have a bad guitar
If you're the rhythm guitarist, an SG would be good cause of the humbuckers. I'd really suggest getting a new guitar too. Either an Epiphone G-400 of a Gibson would be good. I have the G-400 and i really like it and it's not too expensive. I got it for around $350 Canadian
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
and I had a Squire Strat too. It's a piece of crap worth around $150
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by the boogieman
honestly

a new guitar followed by a new amp

why do you say a new amp?
a 200 watt combo is plenty enough for small gigs and such,
sorry i didnt have the 3000 dollars for a marshall

Quote by black-sabbath
If you're the rhythm guitarist, an SG would be good cause of the humbuckers. I'd really suggest getting a new guitar too. Either an Epiphone G-400 of a Gibson would be good. I have the G-400 and i really like it and it's not too expensive. I got it for around $350 Canadian

yes i was looking at the g-400, its running emg's right? and yes humbuckers have nicer buttery tone... i like the looks of the jackson dkmg ... but im not sure about quality, i heard jackson made nice guitars back in teh day but i dont know now i havent played on one, and plus im a randy rhoads fan but i cant afford a real les paul... lol
Definetly a new guitar. If your guitar has cracks, fret buzz, and suposivley not a very good tone, New Guitar.
Well if your not gonna ditch the guitar, you might wanna learn that it isnt your truss rod that affects your action, its the screws on the pickguard side of the bridge (under the strings.)

Also, single coils should be angled going higher towards the high e and lower towards low E, and a humbucker should idealy be as close to the strings as possible.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by LightningRider at Mar 29, 2008,
Quote by LightningRider
Well if your not gonna ditch the guitar, you might wanna learn that it isnt your truss rod that affects your action, its the screws on the pickguard side of the bridge (under the strings.)

Also, single coils should be angled going higher towards the high e and lower towards low E, and a humbucker should idealy be as close to the strings as possible.

yes i know, the truss rod will affect the fret buzz tho, naturally the neck is not perfectly straight anyways, its bowed...
the action is high to diminish the fret buzz, but a proper truss rod adjustment could help, and then i could lower the action with the saddle nuts... intonations a little off now tho but no big deal...
alright, since you asked me to help, I'm going to say this: MG series jackson's are very good, but I'd go for the pro series personally, there are more finishes and are just as good. The only real difference is the amount of models in the series, and the pups (MG has EMG 81-85, Pro has Seymour Duncan's) Also, do you want to mess with a Floyd rose? if not, there are hardtail MG's and Pro series.
On your Squier: Bring it to a shop to get set up, it should be about $40, but is worth it. Do not, under any circumstances, bring it to Guitar Center.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i wish the cheaper ones had a set neck too... i have a uncle that owns a dinky the eerie dess swirl... ill have to check it out next time i go down there, to listen to the seymour duncans, i hear that emgs kick ass tho so idk
yes i like the floyd rose, they are licensed floyd rose trems but they shoudl work fine for me...
Quote by Agent-Orange
why do you say a new amp?
a 200 watt combo is plenty enough for small gigs and such,
sorry i didnt have the 3000 dollars for a marshall

i wouldnt suggest a marshall, haha, and i did say "then", as in after you get a new guitar even though it was useless statement because this thread is about a new guitar

it sounds as if you should just move up. even if you did fix your squier, would you really be satified with it?

id suggest a korean g&l legacy hss for about $550-600 if you can spare that much or maybe a hamer xt sat2 for about $400

but they're different beasts
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by LightningRider

WRONG(ish)
They both affect it.

The screws affect directly by moving the strings towards the pickguard. its best if there is only fret buzz on lower strings.

The truss rod adds bend in the neck which in turn then makes the strings closer or further away from the neck(think of pulling a bow the further you pull away the tighter the arc). Too much change here can crack your neck so... stick to the other way if possible but if the buzz is on the entire fret board then this is the best way to go but keep the change minimal or your neck will become SNAP CRACKLE POP
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
also - i heard the GC is no longer doing work on guitars - Nationwide. That's what they told me here anyway. I guess that is a good thing.

First off whys that good i mean they're not bad or mine isn't i mean Jim is one of the best luthiers i have ever met i love the guitars he makes and hes even better at fixing them
second where did you hear they don't fix guitars nationwide anymore. cuz they do
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
sory - i should have been more clear.
When i bought my strat from Guitar Center the guy who sold it to me said that I could come back at any time for free adjustments at about $20 a pop but that my first one would be free. That never happened.
Also, when I said *here* i meant my local GC....not...the UG. My local GC told me they are not working on guitars anymore nationwide.
i've had mixed GC experiences though...not a hater