So I went to music 6. First freaking second I turned the amp on, I knew it was the amp I needed, not the guitar.

But, it is in a room, so im curious, does the padding or what ever, or anything have an effect on how well the sound is?

Also, on my squier ( yes.. ) if the action was set to the way I like it, as long as its not getting fret buzz, that wouldnt make a difference in the way it sounds right...?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
Room? Padding?

It depends. If you see like this hard material but it has kind of like a cotton-y feel to it, you definetly need to try it somewhere else, that is acoustic (echos) absorbers. Even the walls can have something to deal with it. I'd try to use it in another area, just to be safe.

And, I dont think if the "action" was set like you like it, and you werent getting fret buzz, it most likely wouldnt affect your sound much, but I'm not entirely sure.
Indeed, so would it be a big difference?

Embarrassed to ask them to take it out of the studio room.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
what amp was it btw?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Line 6 spyder lll.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
oo ok. well I hope you like it...you know what everyone on this website thinks about those guitars..but if you like it then you like it...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I honestly dont care what others think this is alot better then what I have..
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
With someone getting a low to mid-priced amp, the small nuances of room acoustics shouldn't matter much. So don't worry about it if you liked the amp. As for the guitar, the action won't compromise your tone.

Most of these things are things you have to worry about when recording at a studio and such. Live/jammin' out - you needn't worry about it.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by MxPxPanic
I honestly dont care what others think this is alot better then what I have..

It probably is, however for the same money you could get something a lot better than the spider. Most kids get sold on the Spider's "insane" channel which in practical terms is completely unusable, or the onboard effects which are overpowering. It's a cartoon amp, once the initial excitement wears off you realise you want something that sounds a bit more real, and effects that you can tweak with a level of control and subtlety that is simply doesn't allow for.

Better is a relative term, good is not and whilst the spider may indeed be better than yout current amp that doesn't make it good. How much money do you have, where are you and what kind of music do you play.

If you get it you'll be sick of it within 6 months, guaranteed.

Herpes is arguably "better" than AIDS...doesn't mean you want either of them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have the Spider III, and I have it for one reason...I needed something that was relatively cheap, could give me decent output, and had some level of onboard customization, and the 1x12 75 watt combo was surprisingly loud. I had nothing at the time, having had to sell most of my gear a few years back for the cash, so in order to get back out there, I went with something economical and that fit the bill. I'd say it's not bad for someone who's starting out. And it may also not be bad for someone who actually finds the tone they want within the customization that it does provide. I mean, it's not much, sometimes, it's all a certain person needs.

That being said, I know darn well that if I find later that I'm not getting everything I need, I'll start saving for a regular amp and separate effects processing and use that Spider as a practice amp at a rehearsal space for the band. But right now, it makes my guitar louder, and for the type of stuff I'm doing, I'm getting enough tweaked out of it.

That also being said, I only use the insane channel to fart around. I've barely moved based the crunch models, and I don't like to over effect in the first place, so a little mod and a little delay for presence suits me fine. So who knows? I can understand the backlash, but I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much you get for the low price. Much better than some other amps that could be classified as "starters," for the same price.
Last edited by BaffAttack at Mar 30, 2008,
hmm, well one of my friends has a spider 3 half stack with 150 watt, lol, i am not sure if he is tired of it yet hes had it for about half a year, or a little more...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Steven, dont mind me asking but, what other amp would you be able to get for that price range?

Yea I know tone isnt something you should look for "cheap" but I dont even have a job ( or cant even get one.. ) so its a factor.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Quote by MxPxPanic
Steven, dont mind me asking but, what other amp would you be able to get for that price range?

Yea I know tone isnt something you should look for "cheap" but I dont even have a job ( or cant even get one.. ) so its a factor.

well depending on which spider III you are talking about. how much is it?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
ok, well according to many people the roland micro cube is very good, and the valve junior is pretty good, if you find one used they go under 100.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
So just say if I got the Line 6.

Would it be like a horrible mistake? Because I played 2 of the 3 and I like the Line 6 most. But im not sure.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Last edited by MxPxPanic at Mar 30, 2008,
no, the epiphone valve junior is, but the micro cube isnt.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Yes. The only amp ive ever played that was worse than the Spyder was an MG. The MG is considered AIDS, and the Spyder would be considered Herpes, if we use the international terminal disease rule set forth by Steven.

Don't get a new amp now because you can afford it now. Suffer with what you have for a while, GET A GOD DAMN JOB*, and buy a better amp, youll feel better in the end.

* Don't say, "I cant get a job." I have a cooworker who has a prosthetic, and another cooworker who is 100% deaf, and he's 15. Don't play that game, Im sick of 16 year olds saying they cant, because they dont try hard enough.
Quote by SixString1989
Yes. The only amp ive ever played that was worse than the Spyder was an MG. The MG is considered AIDS, and the Spyder would be considered Herpes, if we use the international terminal disease rule set forth by Steven.

Don't get a new amp now because you can afford it now. Suffer with what you have for a while, GET A GOD DAMN JOB*, and buy a better amp, youll feel better in the end.

* Don't say, "I cant get a job." I have a cooworker who has a prosthetic, and another cooworker who is 100% deaf, and he's 15. Don't play that game, Im sick of 16 year olds saying they cant, because they dont try hard enough.

you say that but you dont even know his situation. I cant get a job, I have applied at like 7 different places, some twice, and still havent been able to get one, I hate living here where I live.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Wow.

You have no clue about my life so just stop.

Can anyone honestly tell me this amp is that bad?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Im going to get it, I have an idea of what I need, want and can afford.

I also am going to play some others aswell.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Instead of everyone just telling him that the thing is a POS why dont you guys point him in the proper directions with some recommendations?

And I have no exp with the line 6 however i havent heard 1 good thing about the amps. Usually a product will have a mixed crowd. I literally have not heard one person who spoke about these amps say anything positive. Hope this helps.
I already recomended him two...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Mx, if you like the amp, get the amp. Simple as that. As for the room you first checked it out in, that's all sound absorbing material, so naturally it's not going to sound the same when you get it home. It'll be louder.
I'm looking at the MG100DFX, and haven't heard much of anything good to say on "this site". Yet, I've heard it in action, and like you, compared to what I have now, it's a huge step up. I'm guessing the reason so many people don't like it is the fact that it's solid state, and not tube. Big deal! It's also not going to be blowing tubes every so often either, making it useless until I get a new one. I'm not going to be playing it wide open either, as I'm sure some of the younger crowd is doing.
I say go for it, I am.
Mind if I ask why it is you can't get a job?
Quote by SixString1989
Dave, i've had a Peavey 5150 for over 20 years and it hasnt yet blown a tube.

Lucky you. Tubes do blow though, and when they do, it's a pain. Solid state can fry too, but is less likely. Guess that was the point I was trying to make. My bad if I made it sound like they go out all the time. I know better. Just that they can and do from time to time is all.
the advice on the spider is pretty accurate. i personally own a spider III 30 watt. when i first started playing guitar i loved it. it was versatile, had some effects and was not that expensive. that being said, when i play it now, a year later, it sounds very... digital to me. i would definitely not have purchased it knowing and hearing what i do now.

in terms of recommendations as alternatives, i haven't played with much else. definitely check out the amps the other users have recommended though, and make your choice based on your feelings then.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Quote by shaunmood
Instead of everyone just telling him that the thing is a POS why dont you guys point him in the proper directions with some recommendations?

And I have no exp with the line 6 however i havent heard 1 good thing about the amps. Usually a product will have a mixed crowd. I literally have not heard one person who spoke about these amps say anything positive. Hope this helps.

I did. In this thread.