I've been giving this some thought as I want my guitar to stand out a bit. Standard primer-paint-laquering seems kind of boring too. So how would I go about giving my guitar a metal finish? I don't mean metallic or gunmetal gray, but actual metal. Here are the ideas I had:

-Plate/sheets of metal: Would be most durable and probably wouldn't require any kind of coating to keep on. Could nail on. Could also galvanize a bit. However, would be damn near impossible to work with and would weigh a ton

-aluminum foil: cheap, easy to find. It would probably be kind of hard to attach, and would probably require at least two layers. But it would be easy to work with.

-metal foil: same idea as gold foil, but not gold. It would attach easily, and I wouldn't have to cut anything off. Would probably require some kind of coating though.

Also, what problems could be presented by using metal? Would I have to ground it any differently or would it work fine?
Are there any other ways you know of/would recommend?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
it has been done before. look into Matt bellamy of MUSE's custom guitars from Mansons. 2 of them are Aluminum gladded. give you some idea of what can be done. I've got a friend that did it I'll ask him if you really want me too.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
With the first one, it would probably end up like Paul Stanley's cracked mirror Iceman. And would be probably just as hard to make. The only problem with using metal would be getting it smooth, almost like paper, in order to get an easy and smooth clear coat on it.
Yeah, matt's guitars are more or less what gave me the idea

And sheet metal was my least favorite option. What about the other ones?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Quote by mrbagrat
I've been giving this some thought as I want my guitar to stand out a bit. Standard primer-paint-laquering seems kind of boring too. So how would I go about giving my guitar a metal finish? I don't mean metallic or gunmetal gray, but actual metal. Here are the ideas I had:

-Plate/sheets of metal: Would be most durable and probably wouldn't require any kind of coating to keep on. Could nail on. Could also galvanize a bit. However, would be damn near impossible to work with and would weigh a ton

-aluminum foil: cheap, easy to find. It would probably be kind of hard to attach, and would probably require at least two layers. But it would be easy to work with.

-metal foil: same idea as gold foil, but not gold. It would attach easily, and I wouldn't have to cut anything off. Would probably require some kind of coating though.

Also, what problems could be presented by using metal? Would I have to ground it any differently or would it work fine?
Are there any other ways you know of/would recommend?

Use genuine gold or silver leaf ... like the Fender Custom Shop.

Quote by Ippon
Use genuine gold or silver leaf ... like the Fender Custom Shop.

Oh yes. Because thats totally financially feasable
dude just glue on some sheet metal.. if you get a thin enough gauge it wont weight more than a pound, and just use industrial adhesive.. its like 5 bucks for tube. Then there wont be any nails and **** to make it look bad.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by mrbagrat
Oh yes. Because thats totally financially feasable

It's cheaper than you think ... $25 worth would probably do 3 - 5 guitars. Or, you can use the "fake" gold leaf for about $10. Either way, it'll be cheaper than using metal plates; not to mention, it won't affect the tone as much as bolting plates on the body.

There's also the ease of use. Think about it.
Ive seen a razorback I think it was with diamond plate on it, looked awesome
Quote by Ippon
It's cheaper than you think ... $25 worth would probably do 3 - 5 guitars. Or, you can use the "fake" gold leaf for about $10. Either way, it'll be cheaper than using metal plates; not to mention, it won't affect the tone as much as bolting plates on the body.

There's also the ease of use. Think about it.

Hmmm, well if its that cheap I'll go for that. Will I need to put any kind of finishing layer above it?

EDIT: Think this kit will be enough?

http://www.dickblick.com/zz270/01/
Last edited by mrbagrat at Mar 30, 2008,
gold? seriously?
hmmmm
id go with silver if i were you and 2 kits might do it but i wouldnt trust 1, especially as it say enough to do a lamp
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
Well just cause it has all the bottles and stuff you need...
I dunno. I might go for silver but then my guitar would be pure silver/chrome except for the fretboard. That might look kinda cool though.

And I can't really say I like the look of the diamond plate. Not to mention it would be much more expensive.
i would say it would look alot better than gold
im not a fan of gold though but thats my opinion
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
Quote by mrbagrat
Yeah, matt's guitars are more or less what gave me the idea

And sheet metal was my least favorite option. What about the other ones?

if you're talking about his Bombers, they're chrome Plated ( i think that's the word for them) look on Sims custom guitar site coz that's what Hugh uses I think.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x