Somebody told me that you cannot put steel strings on an acoustic that came with nylon strings. I want to put steel strings on a cheap spare acoustic that I have and I am wondering if I can do this.
I love ESP
you could its just not really meant to be done...
incubus rocks my world
Quote by nrc141
you could its just not really meant to be done...

I'm afraid you're incorrect. Putting steel strings on a guitar constructed to support the tension of nylon string WILL cause damage to the guitar. The neck and bracing are not designed to withstand the extra tension that steel strings apply. Don't do it.
there are two ways to know, that I know of...if the bridge has white stakes, and the headstock doesnt have the wholes (I dont know how to explain it) then its an acoustic, not classical guitar and it is supposed to have steal strings...if you put steal strings on a classical thoguh, then it will create more tension and might cause the bridge to come off.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Last edited by fifer at Mar 29, 2008,
The 3 steel high strings probably would mess up the neck. And, if its really cheap, it may not have a truss rod in it, which would further screw up the neck if u put steel strings on it.
Quote by fifer
...the headstock doesnt have the wholes (I dont know how to explain it)...

You mean a slotted headstock. Like so...
Its super cheap...like a walmart guitar. I found it in the trash can of my neighbor and I didn't have an acoustic so I decided to keep it. I just don't really like nylon strings.
I love ESP
Quote by GC Shred Off

yeah exactly what I meant
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by GC Shred Off

but... some steel string guitars have a slotted headstock as well. martin makes a few.

anyway... if it's a classical guitar, dont put steel strings on it.

classical guitars have a flat fretboard. steel string acoustic guitars have a radiused fretboard(the fretboard is curved) that's a sure way to tell if it's a classical or an acoustic.
Putting steel strings on a guitar constructed to support the tension of nylon string WILL cause damage to the guitar. The neck and bracing are not designed to withstand the extra tension that steel strings apply. Don't do it.

+1
Most of the time this topic comes up there is a discussion on what is going to give first. Is it the neck breaking (not likely), the bridge peeling off (quite likely), the bracing giving way, making the top bulge dramatically (damage I've seen more than once), strings cutting through the soft nylon tuner posts (you'd be lucky if you came away with only that) or something else, like the top peeling off the sides (also seen). Last week I saw another possibility. A classical was brought to me with its top nut broken in half. The owner had a string broken and thought it would be alright to temporarily fix it by putting on a steel string. That proofs that just one single steel string is enough to have the guitar parts violently bouncing of the wall.
Conclusion: you can put steels on a classical anytime, as long as you wear heavy duty face protection and body armour.