hello all, ive been playing for over a year now and ive started to get into the exploration side of music. i have been using a cheap ibanez starter pack amp for all my playing and i t has no distortion settings at all except to turn the gain all the way up and i get a really high pitch feedback when i do. so my question is what is a good distortion pedal to get that will give me the most variety of sounds. i am looking to play things along the line of paul gilbert sort of lead guitar. any reccomedations? thanks!
I think you should get a nicer amp, especially if you want to hear the full potential of a pedal.

But if you're convinced to get a pedal, a DS-1 would do alright. they're relatively cheap.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were .
New amp.
Roland microcube to be exact (only a bit more than a mid-range disto)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Little Big Muffs are pretty awesome. I would definitely recommend it.

Boss also makes some awesome distortion petals that are more for metal, like the mt-2.
yea, i was thinking thatd be a wiser spending desicion too since the micro cubes are so cheap. since i dont plan on doing any gigs, what would be a good size watt wise?
Quote by NightFang
yea, i was thinking thatd be a wiser spending desicion too since the micro cubes are so cheap. since i dont plan on doing any gigs, what would be a good size watt wise?

For bedroom practice, I wouldn't really recommend more than 25 watts Solid State. I have a Fender Frontman that's 25 watts and never turn it past 3 (Don't get a frontman though, they sound ****ty)

I mean, it depends on how loud you want to play. You should search around the reviews on UG, they're a good help to fond the right amp. I recommend a cube 30x personally, I've played one and they sound pretty nice.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were .