A'ite, I know nothing about music theory, but I'm wanting to add some epic backing vocals to a track of mine. I mean like, a full choir.

An example off the top of my head would be the beginning of 'exit' by U2 off The Joshua Tree.

Now, i know that just singing octaves won't get that big choir sounds, so what major 5ths or minor thirds do i have to sing to get that sound?

Mucho gracias for helping a musical n00b.
you just answered your own question. Just sing thirds, fifths, whatever.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by SideshowRaven24
you just answered your own question. Just sing thirds, fifths, whatever.

But I don't even know what those are.

I guess I'm trying to ask if anyone knows every single part sung in a choir.
Im pretty sure they sing chords. So have the root, third, fifth, and sometimes 7th sung. And usually keep it so the root is doubled in the lowest and highest voices (but not always necessary).

Learning Figured Bass in music theory can help a lot with writing pieces as such
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Quote by AM666
3rds most common...work it out on guitar..

How? Can you direct me to a site at all?
can you play a power chord? the other note that you play in the power chord would be the fifth. It's the fifth note of the major or minor scale, depending on what key you're in. the third would be the third note of said scale.

If you were to play a basic G major chord, the 3rd would be your index finger on the 2nd fret of the A string, which is a B natural. That's the note that gives it the "happy" sound you typically get from major chords.
Last edited by strat335 at Mar 30, 2008,