I've got a little home studio with the basics (sm57, guitar, cheap crate GFX50 and peavey blazer 158 amps, metal zone mt2, pc, audio interface), and I'm looking for a better sounding amp with a much better tone than practice amps.

I was wondering if I necessarily need a cranked up monster (like a dual recto 4x12) to really get the sound I'm looking for (a versatile amp that would play anything from GOB-sum41-red jumpsuit apparatus- city sleeps to breaking benjamin - seether, etc.) since I will use it only for recording at home.

I know that most of tone comes from the amp-cab combination itself, but can I reach a good tone with something smaller (and hopefully cheaper) than a stack of dual recto/4x12 cab?

Thanks for your time and your answers!
maybe a combo? idk. use what you like, and sell whatever it takes to get there .
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
If it's only going to be used in a home studio situation, then something like a Line 6 Flextone/Vetta combo would be worth looking into, especially as you need the amp to be versatile.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
so you're telling me that a line 6 vetta or flextone can give me as good results as a dual rectifier for home recording purpose? I don't know much about amps and cabs since I never really had a budget that would let me experiment, but since line 6's vetta and flextone are "multi presets sound modeling system", are they gonna give a "digitalized" sound like multi-effects pedal or pc amp sims? (not arguing, just a question from a guy who doesn't know much).
Quote by Evo_66
so you're telling me that a line 6 vetta or flextone can give me as good results as a dual rectifier for home recording purpose? I don't know much about amps and cabs since I never really had a budget that would let me experiment, but since line 6's vetta and flextone are "multi presets sound modeling system", are they gonna give a "digitalized" sound like multi-effects pedal or pc amp sims? (not arguing, just a question from a guy who doesn't know much).

Well, the Vetta in particular is excellent. The Flextone is going to sound more like a POD or similar, but the Vetta is a serious piece of kit.

If you mean home recording as in a computer in your bedroom/study with other people in the house, then you're not really going to be able to crank up a monster valve amp to the kind of volume where they're at their best on a regular basis - they are incredibly loud, I'd hazard a guess that the Mesa you're looking at need to have the volume somewhere over 2/10 to start sounding its best, and by then you're into earplug territory. The Vetta will also be a lot more versatile than just one tube amp, especially a dual rectifier. It won't be quite the same, but it's a case of deciding what you need the most - the versatility, convenience, or that "quality" that valve amps seem to have. It's up to you, at the end of the day.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The Marshall DSL401 has Speaker emulated DI out, which is great for recording. You can record feedback, high gain etc. without use of a mic.

There are prolly other amps with this feature, but it is the only one that I know of. In any case, speaker emulation should be "strongly considered" for a home studio. This way you do not have to crank your amp way up to acheive a high gain tone when recording.

Oh, you also may want to consider a software solution like Guitar Rig 3. I have the "demo" of GR3 and I must say that it is most impressive!
1+ for the Vetta
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
getting excellent quality recordings can be an art in itself. Even somebody with the best of everything will struggle if they dont understand acoustics & mic placement.

My point is, rather than go for a modelling amp, why not just use modelling software with a good interface. You'll likely find it much easier, get much better results, and have much happier neighbours.

Of course, you might be an amazing producer, and get better results using $50 recording gear than I can get with $4000 gear. No offense, but chances are, you can't, so you'll be doing yourself a favour. Take the safer route.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by timi_hendrix
If it's only going to be used in a home studio situation, then something like a Line 6 Flextone/Vetta combo would be worth looking into, especially as you need the amp to be versatile.

+ canada for a Flextone. Great utility for recording. Also useable for jams and gigs.